BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#378454 - 08/19/08 01:53 PM Re: Long term update for Raincoat/Fogtech [Re: OoPEZoO]  
themenz Offline
Newer Member
themenz  Offline
Newer Member

California, USA
Full Disclosure: I make Raincoat and Fogtech.

OoPEZoO,

Thank you for the longer term report. I would like to post it on my website if OK with you?

Your observations about Plexus and other cleaners on Raincoat are exactly in line with my experiments. So it is good to see those validated in the real world. It doesn't rain enough in California for me to test the longevity of Raincoat by riding.

Plexus is a very good cleaner and plastic polish, good enough to remove a portion of the Raincoat wax. So now I recommend a new coating when you clean your shield aggressively. Plain water or a light soap and water with limited rubbing don't seem to have much affect on the life of the Raincoat. But every manufacturer's shield is different so better to be safe.

I have also tried to apply Raincoat over shields cleaned by Plexus. A few riders said they were concerned that Raincoat would not stick with some Plexus left behind. Or that it might cause some vision defects. I did not see that. It worked just fine on my Arai, Shoei, HJC and Schuberth test shields that had a coating of Plexus.

Also, I have a report from the owner of Epicurean Riders that he puts Raincoat on all of his plastic, even his turn signals! He claims it keeps them cleaner much longer.

Epicurean Riders Comment

One last comment. I am modifying the packaging to make it easier to save and get more uses from the contents of each pouch. I would estimate that you will be able to coat your shield about 30 to 50 times with a typical 5 pack. Also the instructions are changing to make Raincoat much easier to buff.

Last edited by themenz; 08/19/08 01:59 PM.

Raincoat and Fogtech at www.motosolutions.com
#379030 - 08/20/08 01:04 PM Re: Long term update for Raincoat/Fogtech [Re: themenz]  
VinnyR11 Offline
VinnyR11  Offline

Long Island, NY
 Originally Posted By: themenz

One last comment. I am modifying the packaging to make it easier to save and get more uses from the contents of each pouch. I would estimate that you will be able to coat your shield about 30 to 50 times with a typical 5 pack. Also the instructions are changing to make Raincoat much easier to buff.

I just ordered some yesterday. Will this have the new packaging?

Vinny G.
'09 R1200RT
'96 R11RT bought "before they were here" (now gone)

"Nobody sees a flower. We haven't the time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."
Georgia O'Keeffe
#379055 - 08/20/08 01:50 PM Re: Long term update for Raincoat/Fogtech [Re: themenz]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA

OoPEZoO,

Thank you for the longer term report. I would like to post it on my website if OK with you?

Sure thing......go for it

Also, I have a report from the owner of Epicurean Riders that he puts Raincoat on all of his plastic, even his turn signals! He claims it keeps them cleaner much longer

I also have got into the habit of using it on my instrument faces (speedo, tach, and RID). It keeps them from getting water spots on them (which is a major pet peave of mine)

Last edited by OoPEZoO; 08/20/08 01:55 PM.

-Keith (Yup, thats me...and my rubber chicken)

Making the world a better place, one rubber chicken at a time!

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
'00 R1100RT (parting out, PM me)
#379228 - 08/20/08 08:41 PM Re: Long term update for Raincoat/Fogtech [Re: VinnyR11]  
themenz Offline
Newer Member
themenz  Offline
Newer Member

California, USA
 Originally Posted By: VinnyR11

I just ordered some yesterday. Will this have the new packaging?

Vinny, thank you for your order! No it won't have the new packaging sorry to say. The new packaging will start in about 30 days or so.

The product and quantity is identical, so do this to get the benefits-

Be careful when you open the pouch, tear right across the spout at the notches. Squeeze out a small amount eg a small pea sized glob onto the faceshield. Dampen your applicator by dunking it into water then squeezing out excess water. Spread the glob with the damp applicator. You want a thin coating so less is better. Let dry for one or two minutes. Then buff it with soft cotton cloth until transparent.

While it is drying, squeeze the remaining Raincoat to the bottom of the pouch, fold the opening tightly a couple of times and use a paper clip to seal. Should last 30 days or more.

Last edited by themenz; 08/20/08 08:43 PM.

#379238 - 08/20/08 09:03 PM Re: Long term update for Raincoat/Fogtech [Re: themenz]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
Hey Vinny,

If it helps, here is what I did. Instead of ripping the package open by hand, I cut it using scissors so that I would cut off some excess packaging but just nip the inner part where the product is held. Then I use what I need (very little), fold it over 2-3 times, and slap a paper clip on it. It keeps plenty long enough to reuse.

-Keith (Yup, thats me...and my rubber chicken)

Making the world a better place, one rubber chicken at a time!

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
'00 R1100RT (parting out, PM me)
#379291 - 08/20/08 10:58 PM Re: Long term update for Raincoat/Fogtech [Re: OoPEZoO]  
VinnyR11 Offline
VinnyR11  Offline

Long Island, NY
Thanks. I'll use that exact method.

Vinny G.
'09 R1200RT
'96 R11RT bought "before they were here" (now gone)

"Nobody sees a flower. We haven't the time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."
Georgia O'Keeffe
#380378 - 08/23/08 05:29 PM Re: Long term update for Raincoat/Fogtech [Re: OoPEZoO]  
themenz Offline
Newer Member
themenz  Offline
Newer Member

California, USA
 Originally Posted By: OoPEZoO
Hey Vinny,

If it helps, here is what I did. Instead of ripping the package open by hand, I cut it using scissors so that I would cut off some excess packaging but just nip the inner part where the product is held. Then I use what I need (very little), fold it over 2-3 times, and slap a paper clip on it. It keeps plenty long enough to reuse.

Nice ideas!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7