IGNORED

It's a Date! The UnRally II in Eureka Springs

Jake

And the envelope says… it's color=blue>Fall Into Eureka Springs!color=blue>

The count is in, and by popular vote the dates for the UnRally II will be October 7-9, 2003. It is also my pleasure to inform you that the Un2 HQ/Gathering Place will be located at the Iron Horse Stables!

Iron Horse is located about 6 miles East of downtown ES on highway 62. There’s more of us then them, so the cabin-type rooms will be booked quickly. Be advised that the phone number is (479) 253-0440 – the number on their website does not reflect the updated area code. Also please note that as this is a rustic motorcycling-oriented place, they ain’t got no cable TV, and they ain’t got no phones!

We looked at several locations for hosting the Un2, and the Iron Horse Stables offered the best overall facility by far. Here’s what we looked for, and what they have for us:

Plenty of camping space

Cabin-type rooms available

Flat-level parking for the whole group

Covered gathering spots

Campfire pits

Restaurant

Motorcycle Shop (the wrenching kind)

Friendly Proprietors (State Rep. Phil Jackson and his lovely wife Jeannie)

And my favorite part.... (been keeping this one a secret from the planning group, heh, heh) their cook is the same chef who cooks for Bubba’s BBQ, and he’s all ours if we want him. Wooo-Hoooo-B-Q!color=red>

Being the vacation destination that Eureka Springs is, there are plenty of lodging accommodations on highway 62 leading to town, as well as downtown in the historical section where beautiful B&B’s rule. Below is a listing of hotel/motels closeby, with mileage measured from Iron Horse Stables toward downtown.

1.3m - Cherokee Mountain Lodge

1.8m – Blue Bird Motel (gravel sloped lot, but close)

2.6m – Alpen Dorf Motel (good flat parking, kids stay free)

3.6m – Kettle Campground (For KTM Doug’s Big Rig!)

3.6m – Country Mountain Inn (outdoor hot-tub)

4.0m – EXXON Station

4.0m – Super 8

4.0m – Howard Johnson Express

4.5m – Motel 6 (a really nice one!)

4.8m – Razorback Lodge (looks nice - quaint!)

4.9m – Rose Garden Inn

5.0m – Evening Shade Cottages B&B

5.2m – Apple Blossom Inn (looks nice!)

5.3m – East Mountain Lodge

5.4m - Holiday Inn Express

6.0m – Swiss Holiday Resort (motorcycle friendly, good parking)

6.2m – Comfort Inn

6.3m – Swiss Village Inn (motorcycle friendly, good parking)

6.8m – Best Western Eureka Inn (At turn-off to historic section of ES)

There’s way more! Hint: make initial reservations, then sit back while we compile more information for you. If you decide to take a different route than the big gang, you’ll have plenty of options. Most hotel/motel contact information can be found at EurekaSprings.org

LET’S MOTO! color=red>

All booked, Jake. One room, two beds. $49/night. Such a deal I got! Bring on The Springs! Bluehairs beware. BMWRT.com is comin' to town. Fun at the Un. Dang! Can't wait!

Just to clarify for my unclear mind the FUN officially starts on the 7th so most folks will want to arrive the afternoon of the 6th to relax and BS a bit?

Arriving on Monday is nice. That way you wake up to the beginning of the Un-Rally on Tuesday morning.

I'm arriving early - I don't have far to go. Besides, I want to practice on those roads. From what I saw, it's lean, set up, lean, set up, lean, set up...and every 3-5 miles you get a straightaway. smile.gif

Can you say WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO?!!

in.

I'll be off like a jock strap at Neils house, on Fri. nite, and ride til I can't. It's a mere 1300 & change from Vegas, so I'll indeed book a SS 1K on the way. The extra early arrival time will allow for some sight seeing, like maybe a trip to DBs 'hood, to peep the Smokies. Love it.

Although I originally voted for the May meet, I really like these dates too. Some may think that weather concerns may be an issue, but I think that with some good route planning and some proper planning overall, everyone will have a great visit.

Now kids, Brother Jake has put more work into this already than he'll EVER let on, so let's show how much we appreciate his (and others) hard work, and turn out large. That's right. East, West, North, South!! This ain't too far for anyone to ride. So service your steed, tell the boss to kiss your @$$, and we'll see you all in Eureka Springs Texas in August. YEEEEEHAAAAAAA........Let's Party!!!!

I have the same thinking as you about knocking off an IBA or two, at any rate, I'll be arriving Sunday, leaving Friday. AND since I'm my own boss, I don't have any a** to kiss, just schedule around it.

I gotta line us some more clients, Mayhem, BMWMOA, UN2 - yee ha!

and we'll see you all in Eureka Springs Texas in August. color=blue>

Well, this is the secret location that Gleno and I will be at, but the rest of you should go to Eureka Springs, Arkansas in OCTOBER laugh.gif

Good work, Chief. I can't wait. The memory of Gunnison is still very fresh in my mind. Riding out there with good friends Bill and Dave, even in the heat and rain. Finally climbing and climbing when we got to the mountains and it started to get cooler. Running into Limecreek, first, someone I hadn'dt met. And then John and Ruth for a quick pizza dinner. Then the three of us again making our first run at those awesome roads. Three RTs kicking up imaginary dust as we explored, anxious to get to the campground and meet new friends and greet old ones. Then standing around and talking, riding with Fernando, Cary, Howard, and others. Eating, laughing, giving Gleno a hard time from the podium. Meeting Ron B and Dakota Dave for breakfast, just by accident. Running into you and Tom and crew, and then slowly riding together smile.gif as we made our way northeastward. Man, I wish Eureka Springs was next week.

I looked over that web site for Iron Horse Stables, and it looks like a perfect setting.

I'm going to need a fix--several fixes, actually--between now and then, though.

I'm in at the Iron Horse. I got the "Swamp" room. Sounds interesting hu? I'll be there the 6th through the 9th. Hopefully I can keep the shiny side up until then so I don't miss out again like I did last year frown.gif Look forward to seeing everyone there.

I know what you mean about needing a few fixes until then David. I figure Mayhem will be a good way to start off. I was able to put almost 11k miles on the KRS in three months. I can hardly wait for a whole summers worth of riding:)

Edited by ex-hogwild

On the road again...just can't wait to get on the road again... dum di dum di dum...

Let's see, just short of 1,000 miles to from NY to Nashville. With someplace to stay in Nashville (Anyone see DCB?) we could make that a nice stop over for the BB on the way to Eureka Springs...

Just got the last room at the Iron Horse Stables - the Master Suite with the Jacuzzi. (They said they were saving it for Jake, but too bad for you, my friend.)

Iron Horse is starting a waiting list for anybody interested in one of the motel rooms.

Doh! wink.gif

They have a few of those little A-frames on the premises too. Not sure how cozy they are, but they're sure to keep hANNAbONE outta your beer stash!

Come on down to Eureka Springs and play on great roads and catch up with new and old friends. Let me see if I can entice those of you who still need some convincing. Get out your GPS, your paper map, sextant or whatever you use to navigate with, no comments mjames or Wurty. crazy.gif Searching out this list is something you should do when you can't get out, because of weather. Here's what you're looking for:

Arkansas Routes:

21 South

23 South

16 East/West

7 North/South

74 East/West

123 North/South

374 East/West

12 East/West

303 East/West

14 North/South

65 North/South

All of the above routes have a few twists and turns. wink.gif These are a few of the routes you'll be on when you're in Arkansas. We will be using great roads in Southern Missouri also, but I'll share those with you in the deepest of the Winter. I invite those of you who have toured in Arkansas, Southern Missouri and Northeast Oklahoma to add your favorite routes as well.

So make your plans and come and enjoy the Ozarks. While the roads are great the catching up with people whose posts you've read can't be beat. BTW, it's 70 degrees and sunny today. smile.gif Life is good when you ride the Ozarks. smile.gif

Most hotel/motel contact information can be found at EurekaSprings.org

Yup. The rooms at the Iron Horse are gone so you might also want to check out the following two links for lodging and general local info.

www.virtualtourist.com/vt/b63d7/ and www.eurekaspringschamber.com/

Looks like I'll be at the Swiss Village -- per tip from Iron Horse -- so now you'll know where to find or avoid me.

I also blocked two other rooms at Swiss Village for some folks who are now out of the country. If anyone runs into a room problem, I'll release one of rooms now. Just let me know.

Looks like I'll be riding down from NYC area sometime Sunday to arrive sometime Monday. Welcome some company, cause I saw that Deliverance movie which gave a whole new meaning to the words, Southern Hospitatlity. smile.gif

When choosing a hotel in ES.....please consider the list Jake gave you. He made notes about which ones have nice parking.

Wherever you book, ask these questions:

Do you have paved parking?

Is it level?

Do you have off street parking?

There are a multitude of places to stay and most of them are really nice. It is hill country...so ask about the parking. smile.gif

OK gang, lets bring more women than the last unrally. I'm bringing the better half, but I'm not sharing. laugh.gif If enough woman show up, we might even entice Wurty to join us. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Did I mention free cigars to the first person with a whacky helmet design?

Good point about bringing the Missuses, Terry (thanks for the segue). Attention all members: BRING THE SPOUSES AND THE SO's!color=red> If they are generally non-ridin' folk, there's plenty of opportunity for them to EAT, SLEEP, SHOP, and REPEAT!!!

The Iron Horse has some camping huts available, too - sounds like the KOA Kamping Kabins. Give them a call and check with Susan.

I think I will meet Gleno in Vegas.

I assume we will feast on BBQ ribbs ala Gleno in the evening and then depart for shawnee Oklahoma in the morning. That would get us our 1000 mile day and make it easy pickins the next morning on our way to E S.

Of course if we can't make it that far I am sure there are rooms available in Amarillo. tongue.gif

AdventurePoser

You guys (and gals) are sooo lucky...a snowball in *&^% has a better chance of surviving than I do of getting time off the first week of October!

Sob,

Steve

Eureka Springs - I could spend two days and two months salary! Just window shopping was a delight. Some of the art glass...well, it will take your breath away.

This is the kind of place where...imagine this.....you and the SO ride 1-2-3 days to get to ES. Upon arrival The SO hops off the bike and says "SEE YA HONEY" and off you go to hoon the incredible S curve after S curve after S curve. In the meantime a bank account somewhere back home is drained.

laugh.gif

ES is a great place to have a lovely breakfast with rich dark coffee...stroll...shop...a seafood salad for lunch with wine...or an enchilada with a margarita....shop...stroll....and get grabbed by your SO for dinner.

Or .... go horse back riding all day while your SO rides 90 some odd horses....and then meet up for dinner.

This is a great place for you both!

Yeeha! Stephen

"and we'll see you all in Eureka Springs Texas in August.

Well, this is the secret location that Gleno and I will be at, but the rest of you should go to Eureka Springs, Arkansas in OCTOBER

IronPaperButt "

Well... If'n it ain't in Texas right now, It's one of our Or-fishal Territories and will be annexed into the Great State sooner r' later.

Yeeha! Stephen

"When choosing a hotel in ES.....please consider the list Jake gave you. He made notes about which ones have nice parking."

In addition...

On my last Re-con patrol up there, some of the Motels Jake has on his list, I have marked as "Extra Nice". I actually looked into the rooms of these and was highly impressed.

AlpenDorf-older but nice.

Country Mountain Inn X-Nice

Razorback Inn X-Nice

Apple Blossom Inn XX-Nice... Non Smoking Inn

Motel 6 X-Nice... Best looking one I've ever seen

East Mountain Lodge X-Nice

Holiday Inn Express X-Nice

The Trails Inn X-Nice

Land-o-Nod XX-Nice

Alpine Lodge X-Nice

Pine Top Lodge X-Nice

Those few that say "Lodge" are really small Motels, so don't let that part fool ya'.

I've personally stayed in the Swiss Holiday Resort and the Howard Johnson. Both are nice and very friendly to Motorcyclists. The only warning I have from personal knowledge is that the Swiss Holiday Resort is very near the main drag intersection of 62 and 23, and I felt it kinda noisy if you were to be an early to bed kind of person. Quiets down later in the night, after 10 or 11.

Anybody have the inside scoop on the tent camping at the Iron Horse? Wondering how it compares to the KOA, like from the UnRally I ?

I sent an inquiry, and got a nice response from Susan.

She said they've never had a complaint from the campers, and they've got 15 sites, but have fit in a lot more.

Anyone else thinking about tent camping besides me?

For you camping folks - The set up at Iron Horse is nice.

They have numerous pits for fires -- ya know with the big tire rim as a perimeter.

They have numerous A frame huts. These are pictured at the web site. They are simply a wooden tent...small...sound...and you'd better hope Wurty doesn't mistake it for the outhouse!

There are numerous defined tent decks. These are generally sawdust base with a wooden perimeter. They are level.

There is a huge piece of flat land - incase a large group of you want to establish a tent city or incase a few of you want to establish a nudist colony.

There is a paved road (loose in places) that weaves down into the tent and A frame area. Either do that ...keep the bike parked at your tent door or leave it a short ways away on the paved parking lot. It is a safe place to park, whatever you choose. No gravel parking lots or roadways here. Nice.

The bath house is basic. You open the door and enter the little pre-shower stall, whip back the curtain to reveal WURTY!...nah...a nice clean shower.

The best part....there is a restaurant and a place to wrench. This is a special campground designed for riders. The restaurant has beer and wine.

They also say on the web site that they have a massage therapist!

I requested one or two via e-mail for the three days, preferably a cute one.......smile.gif

I'm hoping Connie and I can make it. The first part of October is always really busy for me. Although I do own my own business, I do have to take care of it. But, we are making reservations, and do plan to be there!!! Looking forward to riding with ya'll again.

dean & connie

If you would stop visiting this website you could get your work done and be here. Dean if you and Connie don't come I'm going to be disappointed. frown.gif You could ruin a guy's great week of riding that way. Ok enough whinning, get your butt up here Mr. Bigfoot! and don't leave home without Little Cool Foot! crazy.gif We hope to see you both. smile.gif

I'm in. Arriving Monday. Looking forward to meeting ya'll in person. Got one of those smoke free rooms at the AB inn. Just talked to a buddy in Kansas and we're gonna go to Nova Scotia, then Newfoundland in early July. And from there to the MOA rally.

I'm in at the Alpen Dorf Motel from Oct. 4th-10th. They offered $65 per night for Friday and Saturday and $45 per night Sunday through Thursday, plus a 5% discount with a stay of four days or more. smile.gif Man, is this going to be a long winter. See you hoons later. wink.gif

Edited by murrayg

Looks like all that is left at the srtabels is the camping. Sooooo, I guess I'll camp. I know my OL will not like that too much,but what the heck. Can't wait to meet all you BMW folks. I hope you're not as wild as my HD friends. I'm getting to old & mello for that..... Ralph

Haven't met many of these folks, but I think "RT Wild" is a bit different than "HD Wild". Off the bikes I suspect this is a fun, but minorly-sane group. It's on the bikes that the "Wild gene" can come out.

It's wonderful! Sounds and looks like a great Motorcycle area. I have not been there before, which is good. October is great weather-wise, from where I come from. The hotel industry in ES seems to love motorcycles. I looked at some hotel websites, and most of them have a bike among the parked vehicles.

Jake and company, thanks for the work you have done and the hard work ahead of you!

IT'S TERRIBLE! IT'S TEN MONTH AWAY!

"ES is a great place to have a lovely breakfast..."

Kathy, we like a big pile of biscuits 'n gravy, some sloppy scrambled eggs, some pancakes and sausage and some burnt bacon. Don't fergit the cheese grits. There's nothing "lovely" about that! These folks don't know what scones and croissants are. But there are places to get it, right there on the main drag, for about $6. Y'all are gonna love this place.

Open invite to all offical Pie-Towners to shack up at McGauley Acres in Dallas on the way. ES is about 420 from here. Make reservations early, limited space available.

Yeeha! Stephen

"Open invite to all offical Pie-Towners to shack up at McGauley Acres in Dallas on the way"

What kind of Breakfast do they serve? wink.gif

jAKE sAID..."They have a few of those little A-frames on the premises too. Not sure how cozy they are, but they're sure to keep hANNAbONE outta your beer stash!..."

tongue.giftongue.gif i rESEMBLE tHAT sTATEMENT... tongue.giftongue.gif

by the way hANNAbONE's IN...and maybe even mOOOSE...!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO cool.gif

I can not believe I will miss the un-rally two years in a row. Who i s the computer geek, who programmed the count to not allow me to stuff the ballot box. I tried everything but no go only 1 vote per person. I thought about creating 500 "new members" but knew someone would figure that out, especially when all 500 voted for May. Everyone have some fun for me. The area sounds so nice I may just go outself in May by my self. I am so jealous !!!!!

Stay close, Randy -

You can bet that the Smokies aren't escaping the wrath of our tire treads this Spring/Summer. That should be right up your alley.

bONE -

Great to hear about the mOOSE! I hope you are going to lead the caravan to Falling Leaf once we're done flattening the hills in Arkansas. wOO-hOOO!

Lone_RT_rider

Randy,

Don't feel to bad. After I had already voted for May I realized that neither it nor the accepted date of October can work for us because of the kids being in school that week. So unless the Un3 is actually held in the summer time I may not get a chance to come to one of these things until the kids go off to college. At that rate I have another 10 years at least.

Oh, and if your wondering why I cant just come by myself? You try telling your SO who has a wonderful R1100R in the garage that you are headed off for a week of riding and that she can't come because she has to stay home and watch the kids. I think I would rather play Russion roulette first.

Shawn