BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#403593 - 10/19/08 04:18 PM Am I the only one who feels this way?  
BeemerLover Offline
BeemerLover  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Over the past month I have read GPS threads, autocom threads, bluetooth threads, helmets with bluetooth threads, cell phone integration threads, satellite radio threads, viewing weather threads and MP3 player threads.

I appreciate all these wonderful technologies and applaud those who get satisfaction from their use. However, I look at things a little differently.

First of all, to each his own. I am not preaching here, just wondering if others feel the same as I do.

I guess I am a "zen" rider. I do not desire to listen to music while riding, do not want to have a conversation with others - either from the pillion, over a radio or on a cell phone. Paper maps in a tank bag work fine. If I get lost I have the pleasure of talking to someone in a convenience store. Cell phone is in my pocket if I need it. I enjoy a more "zen" state while riding -- the feeling of being relaxed, calm, and one with the bike, enjoying the wonder of the scenery that is passing by.

Am I alone?

Gael

G-Man
'07 R1200RT

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD -40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
#403598 - 10/19/08 04:23 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
Mister Tee Offline
Mister Tee  Offline

Northern California
You aren't entirely alone - I really have no use for a GPS in either my bike or car, but yes I do enjoy listening to the radio (a portable through earphones) and I have a bluetooth cell phone adapter that I rarely use.

#403602 - 10/19/08 04:29 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
I have a GPS and a radar detector, but I ripped all the rest of the electronics off the bike: intercom, digital voice recorder, iPod, etc. Not only did I want a less complicated ride experience, but I got tired of all the wires.

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#403605 - 10/19/08 04:46 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: David]  
randy Offline
randy  Offline

Atlanta, Ga, USA
I guess I am the opposite, I ride to work everyday, 19 miles one way. I enjoy listening to the XM radio. I really like financial and political talk radio. During the NBA season I listen to as many games as I can during my commute home. I get lost going from my living room to my bedroom, so a GPS was a necessity for me. Shoot many time I could not find the convience store to have a conversation.

When I am riding with my 13 year old son, I do listen to him. We may go on a three hour ride and only talk for 5 minutes, but it might be a very important 5 minutes.

And on the occassion we ride in a group of 4 or 5, and that is rare, it is nice for the sweep and lead to be able to talk. Now all my stuff is very flexible. The autocom sits in my tank bag basically unused 90% of the time. The GPS is always on the bike, and 90% of the time I just plug my molded ear plugs directly into the GPS. I always ride with ear plugs, so basically it is just one wire from the GPS to my earplugs. When I am on a trip and need the autocom and BTB capability, I have all the cables in a baggie, I just pull them out and plug in.

However as noted above by David, I really do not like all the cables, but when my son is riding along, I am a less agressive rider and the extra cables do not impede to much.

So I guess I am in the middle, GPS/satalite radio 90% of the time, and full wired set up 10% of the time. But due to David's and others excellent write up in the past, 100% of my electronics sit in my tank bag. I can have the whole electronics set up moved off, or to another bike in two minutes.

Atlanta, Ga
2007 Tuono Factory (red) For Sale
2009 BMW 450x Dual sport
2006 SV1000 Randy's track bike
2006 KLX 250x (For sell)
#403611 - 10/19/08 05:08 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
I use the Radar Detector on pretty much every street ride. I'd rather not, but since I'm going to speed every time I get on the bike, I use it. I plug my earplug speakers straight into it, so the complexity is minimal.

I have a GPS, but not one of talking ones. I use it on the dualsport mostly to drop breadcrumbs as I go so I don't have to spend as much attention paying attention to where I am. I only put it on the street bike when I'm going to be doing a long crosscountry ride on the freeway. I use it as a distraction to keep me interested on those long boring miles.

Music. I use an iPod on those long freeway drones...again...to keep my mind occupied. I don't use music in traffic or in twisties because I find it too distracting.

If it's just me, I carry a little passive mixer and I run the V1 and the iPod through the mixer to my earplug speakers. I like that because it's simple.

If I'm riding with other people who use FRS, I I've got an AutoCom with a Kenwood GMRS that I use. I've built the whole thing into a couple of project boxes from RadioShack, and I rewired the "flash to pass" switch on the left handgrip to be a PTT...all I have to do is make one connection.

My rule with all of that stuff is I plug it in and if it doesn't work, I unplug it and don't mess with it. With my RT, it seems like I'd spend half my time dicking around with the electronics because something wasn't quite right. No more...if it doesn't work, I just don't use it.

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#403619 - 10/19/08 05:27 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: russell_bynum]  
Rocket_Cowboy Offline
Rocket_Cowboy  Offline

Dallas, TX
I use different configurations for different rides.

There are times (like this morning), when I'm out enjoying backroads with a small group of friends when the ride is more of "man and bike merged into one" riding experience. There are other times when it's just me crossing the country alone somewhere. I'll run different setups depending on what the ride entails.

To me, both types of rides are "zen" moments for me. Just being out on the bike is a centering experience for me. While I do use more electronics when going long distances, it's not so that I can have everyone in my helmet with me, they're just tools for me to use when necessary. If all the electronics were to stop working, I can still finish the ride.

->Charlie
2006 BMW R1200RT

IBA - 21653, AMA, BMOMOA
Objects in mirror were not fast enough....
#403626 - 10/19/08 05:55 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
keithb Offline
keithb  Offline

Huntington Beach, Ca.
I am right there with you. One year ago I got a GPS but have only used it a couple of times. There is the paper map in the tank bag along with the camera. The radar detector gets used. In all honesty I would like to listen to some tunes on long rides but I am not setup for it. I am not interested in talking to a passenger really while riding. We comment/talk on occasion and just enjoy the ride and the sights. 'Nuff said.

Keith
'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 R1150RT
'99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS,
'83 Yamaha Maxim 750
#403627 - 10/19/08 05:57 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
Todd_Z1 Offline
Tadpole
Todd_Z1  Offline
Tadpole

San Jose CA
Gael,

I can understand how you feel. I limit my technology to music and radar detector. The two way radios are nice for coordinating stops and photo opportunities when riding with select friends. I find that the two way radios in larger groups can be an unwanted distraction. I had a GPS but found it was not very useful as I tend to want my rides into new places to be an adventure and not a pre-planned stop along the way. In far flung spaces and tiny towns the GPS tends not to be up to date anyways. The rest of the stuff I just don't need such as a cell phone.

Cheers!

Todd

08 Honda CBR1000RR
#403649 - 10/19/08 06:31 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: Todd_Z1]  
outpost22 Offline
outpost22  Offline

Eagle Point, Oregon
I don't know about zen, but I have very few gizmos as mentioned. I do use an autocom with my wife, but only for basic needs, such "watch for that deer", or "would you like to eat lunch here?". We don't chatter on it as she knows I need to pay attention to riding. My GPS has "topo" on it and is used mainly for dual sport rides like Russell mentioned.

I guess I'm more into the sounds of the bike, than the sounds of tunes, phones, etc while riding.

Ladies, if a man says he'll fix something, he will. There's no sense reminding him every 6 months or so.
'96 R1100RT
'06 F650GS
#403654 - 10/19/08 06:47 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
A "zen" rider would be sitting lotus style on their parked bike in a meditative, inward turning eye manner.
Not suggested for traffic conditions around here.
I think Buddha would ride a BMW, fully farkled, and save his meditations for more appropriate settings.
Best wishes.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9