BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#403656 - 10/19/08 06:55 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: outpost22]  
Semper_Fi Offline
Semper_Fi  Offline

Gloucester, MA
My Zen is total opposite, I want maximum technology and gadgets!

GPS - I get lost in my own town

BT Phone - use for calls coming in 90% of the time, 10% to call that i'm coming home

GPS is a 550 so i have a 4 gig card to listen to music I like

Have XM antenna - need subscription

Have AutoCom super pro avi for complete intergation and utilization for B2B as my wife rides her own bike and we like to converse as when we were on the goldwing.

As to wiring i took my time and carefully routed all wires and tied off to exisitng bike harness

From my perspective its a personal matter, what ever makes you happy and further enhances the ride experience is good.

From no extra gizmos to a full boat compliment of all things electronic - it's all good

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red Metallic (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (Sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
#403661 - 10/19/08 07:33 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
Dave in Doodah Offline
Dave in Doodah  Offline

KS; but squatting in Hamburg, ...
Sounds like you are in the minority, BeemerLover, but you are not alone. I love my iPod, and even use it when I run - almost everyday - but have never had any interest in using it on the bike. And I have gotten fairly addicted to talk radio when driving the car to work but, again, only want to hear the sound of the boxer engine (and still getting used to the R2D2 noises of the ABS brakes on the new RT) when I ride.

I am not like many of the riders in BMWST in that I do not make many long trips (yet), but I have never felt the need for any GPS or cell phone access while I am riding... the ride is the ride. The rest can wait. The only electronics I have ever riden with is a radar detector; which is not a diversion, except when it's supposed to be...

That said, I totally understand how the gadget riders would appreciate having all that technology at their fingertips while doing something they enjoy. That is their Zen.

"There is no help in
changing your environment.
The obstacle is the mind,
which must be overcome,
whether at home or in the forest.
If you can do it in the forest,
why not in the home?
Therefore,
why change the environment?"

- Ramana Maharshi (d. 1950)

Dave

I'm growing older but not up.
#403664 - 10/19/08 07:44 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: Dave in Doodah]  
upflying Offline
upflying  Offline

Reno, NV
I am resistant to technology and prefer not to have the latest fad gadgets on my bike or in my life. I do not know how MP3 works and have no desire to learn. The only form of broadcast technology I listen to is AM talk radio.
Maps work just fine when planning your route.
I have a Bluetooth headset but I won't use it. If someone needs to call me while I am riding or driving, they can leave a message.
My worst nightmare is reading an instruction book on how to operate something high tech. Just tell me how to turn it on or off.
Life is too complicated and I miss the simpler life of the 50's.

Bob
Reno,NV

2014 HD FXDC
2001 HD FLHPi (former work bike)
2009 HD FLHPi 103" (former work bike)
1972 Honda CT-90 garage queen

Logical politics is the Holy Grail of oxymorons.
#403668 - 10/19/08 07:57 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
Whip Online
Whip  Online

San Antonio, TX
Without some form of music in my ears and the V1 to protect me from myself I would not enjoy riding.

I can do without the rest of the wires.

Last edited by Whip; 10/19/08 07:58 PM.

I am their leader, which way did they go?
#403673 - 10/19/08 08:22 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: Whip]  
ericfoerster Offline
ericfoerster  Offline

Jersey Village, Texas
Ever been on a BMWST group ride?

Pre-ride sounds like an F-16 cockpit..more bells and gadgets making funny sounds. Plugs here and there, wires here and there, evenings spent downloading the latest maps and getting on the same FRS freq.

I LOVE IT!

I'm kind of a toss up. I've chunked everthing but a GPS and IPOD. Living in Texas everything is hours away, so I enjoy music when I am pounding the interstate.

I still like the paper map, ear plugs, and a pocket full of cash. Kinda old school I guess.

Torrey IV-VI-VII-VIII-IX-XIII-XIV/Austin TD 03 /DVD 04/Hill Country I-II-III-IV-VI
El Paseo Fall 05
#403679 - 10/19/08 08:33 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
BanjoBoy Offline
BanjoBoy  Offline

Northern California
You're right on!
I'm with you, I'm all about the Zen of riding too.
Whether commuting, touring, or going for a 100 mi rip on my favorite piece of road, I have only my own thoughts. No gadgets. (Although I do hope to get a Valentine RD someday)
Each to his or her own, we all ride for different reasons. My SO wants to get some kind of communication device, but that'll never happen. Not in this life time.

Peace out,

A.Norris
------------------:)
"Now squeal like a pig! Boy!"
'07 FJR
BMW MOA #144162
#403682 - 10/19/08 08:43 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BanjoBoy]  
Redbrick Offline
Redbrick  Offline

Santa Paula CA
Radar detector and GPS, which is new to me and is very handy at times finding whatever I need (food, lodging, gas, routes..anything almost)....The GPS has already paid for itself (as has the detector , I'm sure)....I use ear buds and plug into the pre-programmed (the night before usually) GPS when riding new territory and switch to the detector at times....Most of the time I just put in ear plugs and enjoy the ride...Tried iPod type equipment and may use it occasionally but not regularly...I have some concern about being distracted with all of these gizmos....

Last edited by Redbrick; 10/19/08 08:43 PM.

Phil....

"It's not the arrival, it's how you got there."

'05 R1200RT (red, of course)
#403692 - 10/19/08 09:03 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
SageRider Offline
SageRider  Offline

Minden, Nevada
I currently am running HAM radio, GPS with XM / weather Radar, Radar detector, with an Autocom. Through past experience, I know not to run intercom to the wife in back (Believe me, it's mutual! )
That said, I also get tired of the cables / connect / disconnect aspects of this gadgetry.
My Winter project is to transfer the electronices into a Bags Connection Vina QL tank bag with a powered lock ring. I will retain the GPS/XM & Radar detector, but don't as of yet know what form my radio communications will take. The end result of this project will be electronics that are instantly removable from the bike, with only a single external connection which will be for my headset.

My travel is very highly time and destination oriented. GPS serves that well and the weather Radar allows my to make trips that I otherwise wouldn't dare in marginal conditions.

If I was doing less destination oriented riding and more of an exploring, wandering type of riding, I would probably ditch all the electronics.
Maps, to me, are more conducive to wandering than GPS.
Radar detection wouldn't be an issue.
I just wouldn't ride in marginal weather (Icy/Snowy/Hurricanes/Tornados...).
and I'd be much more likely to be completely on my own, and therefore not likely to have a need for communications beyond for emergency purposes.

There's something positive to be said about both extremes and virtually everywhere in between. Great, isn't it!

Michael
2010 Unrally IX Sierra Adventures Co-Chair
KE6GYC 2M/440
'12 F800-GS Trophy: (dearly departed)
'06 R1200-RT, Piedmont RED! (dearly departed)
'99 R1100-RT (dearly departed)
Minden, Nevada
#403698 - 10/19/08 09:10 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
Bullett Offline
Bullett  Offline

Brookings, OR
Nope. With me it depends on the ride. I have a Starcom 1 that is used for bike to bike, GPS and music player. I don't always turn these things on. I do like the gadgets if I am going to be on the road for several days.

I missed having bike to bike and the GPS last week on my rental bike. It would have been nice to simply get on the radio and tell my husband that the sidecase fell off my bike instead of leaving him to wonder what happened when he realized I was no longer behind him.

Sharon

07 BMW R1200RT
59 BMW R26
12 Yamaha Super Tenere (for sale)

Apparently, a girl can have too many motorcycles! tongue
#403701 - 10/19/08 09:17 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: SageRider]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
I'm with Beemerlover. No added electronics, except recently a radar detector. Way too much speed limit enforcement in 50 mile range from home. Lots of nice between farms roads, good to loaf at 50, limited to 30. Even crossing Kansas I'm happy just looking at fields, farms, whatever. No GPS. If I get lost, it can be fun.

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9