BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#405092 - 10/22/08 10:48 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
dba Offline
dba  Offline

Centerville, NV
Depends on the ride. On my old bike, I had the CB/MP3 hookup. Only time I used it was on long rides with friends. If I was commuting or out and about on my own, I never took the cover off it.

On the RT, I have a GPS and I love it. I use it all the time but I also liked being backed up by a paper map. I will probably get the handlebar CB/MP3 for this bike for use on long trips.

I guess each person's "zen" is their own state of mind. One man's trash is another man's treasure I suppose.

David A.
IBA: 37338
BMWMOA: 139753
2012 K1600GTL Mineral Silver Metallic
Hope is not a strategy.
#405106 - 10/22/08 11:18 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: Gary in Aus]  
jakfrost Offline
jakfrost  Offline

Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hmm, been reading this thread with interest since the 'zen' aspect appeals to me on a very basic level, i.e I remember when biking was always basic. My 650 Ariel for example.

However I find myself with lots of 'extras' on my RT which puts me a long way from the 'zen' group here.

It seems there are 2 groups in this thread, those who ride primarily for recreational reasons, the 'zen' group, and those who for whatever reason, ride for functional reasons, the 'other' group.

I love to ride and since I use the bike as much as possible to get to and from my place of work, and anywhere else that it is practicable to involve the bike, given the space available. This means over an hour a day of super slab...hence the XM radio.

I am on call 24/7 22 days a month with 1hr response time, hence the bluetooth cell phone.

My vacation time is limited and not conducive to 'getting pleasantly lost', hence the GPS.

So I guess I'll have to wait until I retire to join the 'real zen' group :-).

Jim

05 Red RT:-)

#405294 - 10/23/08 02:05 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: jakfrost]  
SAAB93driver Offline
SAAB93driver  Offline

Lakeland, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: jakfrost
Hmm, been reading this thread with interest since the 'zen' aspect appeals to me on a very basic level, i.e I remember when biking was always basic. My 650 Ariel for example.

However I find myself with lots of 'extras' on my RT which puts me a long way from the 'zen' group here.

It seems there are 2 groups in this thread, those who ride primarily for recreational reasons, the 'zen' group, and those who for whatever reason, ride for functional reasons, the 'other' group.

I love to ride and since I use the bike as much as possible to get to and from my place of work, and anywhere else that it is practicable to involve the bike, given the space available. This means over an hour a day of super slab...hence the XM radio.

I am on call 24/7 22 days a month with 1hr response time, hence the bluetooth cell phone.

My vacation time is limited and not conducive to 'getting pleasantly lost', hence the GPS.

So I guess I'll have to wait until I retire to join the 'real zen' group :-).

Jim

I don't think you can accurately generalize it this way. I'm in the Zen group, use my bike for recreation and commuting (yes, to actually go to work).

My career as a VP of a company is high pressure and demanding. Riding my bike is like getting away from it all for a while, even if it is my 45 minute commute to work in the morning. No cell phone calls, no computer, no PDA. It's the same reason I don't like to ride with groups. It's my time, my schedule, my route to take, I don't really need other distractions but if I do, I make my own by stopping somewhere interesting. Then I might check my voice mail to deal with the phone call that came in while I am riding. Life is too short to have to be connected 24/7. There has to be boundaries.

'02 BMW R1150RS
'08 SAAB 9-3 AERO vert
'08 Honda Element - for the Dog
'11 SAAB 9-5 Aero
#405364 - 10/23/08 05:44 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: SAAB93driver]  
RussL Offline
RussL  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
I've gone from zen to full electronics (comms, radar, mp3) and back to zen. I must be going through some anti-technology mid-life crises or something. I've slowed down a lot, reserving hoolilgan speeds for only the choice parts of the road, I don't listen to music anymore except on trips with long portions of slab, and reverted back to hand signals if I need to communicate to another group rider. Less wires, simpler bike set up, no tether...I like it.

Last edited by RussL; 10/23/08 05:44 PM.
#405739 - 10/24/08 05:21 PM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: RussL]  
BeemerLover Offline
BeemerLover  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Thanks, everyone for your responses..... I enjoyed reading all of them and all the different viewpoints.

I guess I am not alone after all!

It is interesting to note that a lot of you have the farkles but turn them off to just enjoy being in the moment on the bike.

And a lot of you really enjoy the farkles while riding.

All is good, it's all about the ride, whatever that is to you!

Gael

G-Man
'07 R1200RT

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD -40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
#406135 - 10/26/08 02:08 AM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
Jon_M Offline
Jon_M  Offline

Altadena
I am of the same mind. I had a radio on a previous bike, and I never turned it on. Speakers in the helmet? Never! My only compromise is a very simple GPS unit that I can carry in my jacket, not mounted or wired to the bike. It lets me figure out where I am when I take a wrong turn and can guide me to the nearest gas or emergency service. It is not expensive and is useful in the same way that a tire pump and patch kit would be.

Jon
'13 F800GT
'67 R69S
#406140 - 10/26/08 02:23 AM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: VinnyR11]  
Jon_M Offline
Jon_M  Offline

Altadena
 Originally Posted By: VinnyR11
No ear plugs as well, with no hearing issues after years of riding.
I could have said this up until a year ago, when I went to an audiologist and found that I had taken a 20% high-frequency loss. It comes on so gradually, you don't really notice it. I read recently that 60% or more of those over 60 have significant loss. I don't know your age, and don't want to sound smug, but in my opinion, you are taking damage whether you know it or not. Once sustained, it cannot be fixed, only compensated by hearing aids.

Jon
'13 F800GT
'67 R69S
#406156 - 10/26/08 03:08 AM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: BeemerLover]  
Whip Offline
Whip  Offline

San Antonio, TX
A man left alone with his own thoughts is a very dangerous thing.

I am their leader, which way did they go?
#406426 - 10/27/08 12:33 AM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: Jon_M]  
louisvillebob Offline
louisvillebob  Offline

Reply to Jon M about ear plugs:

I find wearing earlugs reduces my fatigue on long rides. I ride more comfortably. Downside: I tend to ride a bit faster because of reduced feedback of engine noise. Gotta watch that.

#406536 - 10/27/08 06:11 AM Re: Am I the only one who feels this way? [Re: louisvillebob]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Rode a bike commuting since I was 16 and never heard of "electronics" on a bike back in the 80's (I'm 43 now). Then I got my RT, started hanging with this group, went on a few group rides and really developed a taste for the digital Kool-Aid. The kind of riding I like to do has developed largely because of the people here, I ride now mostly to tour this beautiful but HUGE country and share the experience with these same friends. I've learned many, many things here about how to make that even easier and more efficient.

My riding is out of SoCal so we frequently have to endure a LOT of slab, desert and 12-hour days are not uncommon, hence the XM (for weather, too). We ride 1150RT's with that tall 6th gear (sweet spot is ~80mph) and are usually in a hurry to get the miles under our belts, hence the V-1. I miss having Leslie behind me but she's a better rider than me and needs her own handlebars. Since we don't like to stop much we can share the ride and handle all the logistics en route, hence the GMRS bike-to-bike. We don't plan or look at maps too much and prefer the gypsy method, but gas can be scarce in the West, the desert heat will kill you, my RT's speedo was 9.5% optimistic when it used to still have a needle . . . hence the GPS!

The wind noise is very fatiguing, shortens our daily mileage and damages our hearing so the AZ Al's earplugs are a requirement for anything other than running to the corner grocery. The GPS doesn't talk to me and I only look at it when the V-1 talks to me, I'm lost or am looking for gas/lodging, etc.. My cell phone stays unattached to the Autocom in the tank bag and the laptops are in the case. I plug in one 5-pin DIN plug from helmet to the bike and everything else is permanently mounted so only the one wire (plus the earplug monitors) to mess with. We each have only one bike and all the unsecured farkles that are not behind the dash or in the glovebox come off the GadgetGuy brackets in less than 15 seconds and stow in tankbag or side case so there is no hit to convenience.

No more XM Comedy in the twisties (DAMHIK) and Nevada, Kansas and much of the mid-west would be painful without company for the voices in my head. I've heard all they have to say already and--oh excuse me--"hey honey, Bob Edwards is interviewing Jake Shimabukuro over on XMPR. Also: my coffee is talking to me, I'm gonna need something to eat within an hour or so, I'd like to change face shields now that the sun's up and maybe shed a layer. We should make it to Bud's place by 17:00 hours and I'm sure that sheep back there wanted Wurty!"

It's a different experience and the wired spectrum is very wide, but until you've traveled across the country with a bunch of Hoons at warp nine sharing the ride laughing your a$$ off, it's hard to know what you're missing. Not to say that you'll find you actually miss it, but it really is a hoot like nothing I've ever experienced before in my life.

Thank you BMWSportTouring for opening my eyes.

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9