BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
#408704 - 11/01/08 09:28 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: RightSpin]  
yabadabapal Offline
yabadabapal  Offline

Earth, for the time being !
So I have a question on the Accident. In reviewing it I noticed the other motorcyclist in the opposite lane going the opposite direction of the accident bike. Based on the timing of the accident , we dont actually see the other MC until about the 3rd frame and at that point he is 100 feet beyond the seen of the accident.
So at the average rate of speed , might he have been coming up in his lane at the same time the accident MC was about to pass the truck and at that point the Accident bike could not veer into the other opposing lane because both bikes were at the same point on the road and so the Accident bike trying to stay in his lane as a last resort was already at a passing speed that couldnt be adjusted in time and ran into the side of the truck.

Bobby
My greatest Failures
have always been my greatest Success!
The average life is 3900 weeks.
What are you gonna do today!
#408726 - 11/01/08 01:13 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: yabadabapal]  
ESokoloff Offline
MR. Sweet Pea
ESokoloff  Offline
MR. Sweet Pea

SoCal
 Originally Posted By: yabadabapal
Based on the timing of the accident , we dont actually see the other MC until about the 3rd frame and at that point he is 100 feet beyond the seen of the accident.
So at the average rate of speed , might he have been coming up in his lane at the same time the accident MC was about to pass the truck and at that point the Accident bike could not veer into the other opposing lane because both bikes were at the same point on the road and so the Accident bike trying to stay in his lane as a last resort was already at a passing speed that couldnt be adjusted in time and ran into the side of the truck.

No that would not be the case.
As you observed/stated in the 3rd frame the lead bike appears to be 100 feet beyond the other two vehicles.
It may be less then that but ill-regardless the distance of separation is substantial.
This accident (group of images) was over in a mater of seconds so the timing for your scenario is wrong.

Eric

============

GM267

PM31613
#408888 - 11/02/08 01:54 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: RightSpin]  
motorman587 Offline
motorman587  Offline

Florida
 Originally Posted By: RightSpin
Here is the picture with a few annotations which should be self-explanatory.

Still a great picture..... I would blow that one up and hang it on the wall, if it was me. Minus the red, green and yellow lines.

Last edited by motorman587; 11/02/08 01:54 AM.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
2002 Honda Goldwing Yellow
Contact me 4 motor training (one on one)
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (contact me)
#408891 - 11/02/08 02:10 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: tallman]  
SpaceKing Offline
SpaceKing  Offline

North Vancouver, BC Canada
 Quote:
I'm tired of seeing people ride the Gap like they owned the road.
The cops are there because people like me got tired of having to avoid collisions from better riders (obviously) than I am.
When they put me, and my passenger, at risk for serious bodily harm, and possible death, and appear to have the ability and intent to cause such harm, perhaps I should defend myself as I would from any other lawbreaker who chooses, intentionally, to put a law abiding citizen's life at risk by acting in an illegal, criminal manner.

I couldn't have said it better myself Tallman. Nothing like over-analyzing a simple situation.

"You can drink it or you can nurse it, it don't matter how you worship"

1998 R1100RT "Open Sky"
1992 K75S "Candy Apple"
2005 GS "Rocky"
#409142 - 11/02/08 11:46 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: SpaceKing]  
yabadabapal Offline
yabadabapal  Offline

Earth, for the time being !
 Originally Posted By: SpaceKing
 Quote:
I'm tired of seeing people ride the Gap like they owned the road.
The cops are there because people like me got tired of having to avoid collisions from better riders (obviously) than I am.
When they put me, and my passenger, at risk for serious bodily harm, and possible death, and appear to have the ability and intent to cause such harm, perhaps I should defend myself as I would from any other lawbreaker who chooses, intentionally, to put a law abiding citizen's life at risk by acting in an illegal, criminal manner.

I couldn't have said it better myself Tallman. Nothing like over-analyzing a simple situation.

Agreed. How would you defend yourself?

Bobby
My greatest Failures
have always been my greatest Success!
The average life is 3900 weeks.
What are you gonna do today!
#410563 - 11/06/08 05:35 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: MAT2CHI]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
 Originally Posted By: MAT2CHI

I've seen that picture sequence a dozen times, but what I've always found interesting is the stop motion of the front wheel compared to the back. Now shutter speed of the camera will of course cause this, but its interesting that the back wheel seems to be still in rotational motion. It looks like the guy was full on at least the front brake as it lost pavement contact.

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#410566 - 11/06/08 05:56 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: Ken H.]  
Tony_K Offline
Tony_K  Offline

Pasadena, CA
There is no shutter speed invloved in that photo. The front wheel is off the tarmac.
With some braking pressure the wheel will dead stop as it has in the photo.
The rear is still bitting so it's still spinning... since his foot is about to be ripped back. No foot braking there.

"Let's face it, life is dangerous - it always ends with death. Might as well enjoy it while you have it." -Paul Mihalka
#410568 - 11/06/08 05:57 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: Ken H.]  
SteveB Offline
SteveB  Offline

Murrieta, CA
I suspect he has a handful of front brake and the throttle is wide open.

Steve
04 FZ-1, 04 FZ-6 (PJ's), 03 F650CSA (sold)
'03 R1150RT (R.I.P.),01 HD T-Sport (sold)
#410576 - 11/06/08 08:18 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: Ken H.]  
WBoyter Offline
WBoyter  Offline

Dallas, Texas
Every time I see this photo, I reckon that the un-coolness of a full face helmet was probably passing through his mind. You can almost smell his drawers from the look on his face.

#411058 - 11/07/08 08:57 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: ESokoloff]  
elkroeger Offline
elkroeger  Offline

Rochester WA
 Originally Posted By: ESokoloff
I have to wonder if the rider became distracted by the photographer?

You've got to be kidding me. Surely your point is not to somehow blame it on the photographer! There are lots of people and interesting things on the side of the road everywhere I go. My job is two things: Pay attention or stop the bike. That's it.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10