BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
#411062 - 11/07/08 09:30 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: elkroeger]  
SageRider Offline
SageRider  Offline

Minden, Nevada
 Originally Posted By: elkroeger
 Originally Posted By: ESokoloff
I have to wonder if the rider became distracted by the photographer?

You've got to be kidding me. Surely your point is not to somehow blame it on the photographer! There are lots of people and interesting things on the side of the road everywhere I go. My job is two things: Pay attention or stop the bike. That's it.

It is very obvious in the sequence that the rider was playing to the camera. This does not make the accident the photographer's fault. #1 priority on the bike is to ride the bike. Everything else is secondary. Rider exhibited poor judgement.

Michael
2010 Unrally IX Sierra Adventures Co-Chair
KE6GYC 2M/440
'12 F800-GS Trophy: (dearly departed)
'06 R1200-RT, Piedmont RED! (dearly departed)
'99 R1100-RT (dearly departed)
Minden, Nevada
#411070 - 11/07/08 09:50 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: elkroeger]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)

You've got to be kidding me. Surely your point is not to somehow blame it on the photographer! There are lots of people and interesting things on the side of the road everywhere I go. My job is two things: Pay attention or stop the bike. That's it.

Good grief.

There's a common theme in this thread, and it is this: anyone asking a question about potential factors in this incident is being accused of assigning blame/responsibility to something other than the rider who crashed. We won't learn much if all we can say is "the rider screwed up," without being able to assess/discuss how the rider screwed up, and what might have made things worse/better for everyone who was involved.

In this particular instance: to suggest that the rider may have been distracted by the photographer is not to blame the photographer at all. If the rider was in fact distracted, it's worthy of mentioning and lesson-learning, e.g. pay attention to where you're going, not to Killboy. It would be hard to fault the photographer in such an accident unless he was taking flash photos with some kinda photon cannon and blinding unsuspecting riders as they came around the bend.

In the case of the SUV driver: he's not to be faulted. BUT, assuming he was distracted by the camera, there's a small chance he could have avoided the collision if he had been watching the road instead. Why is this worth mentioning? If you're in a car and you kill a guy on a bike, you will feel bad for a long time, even if it's not your fault. it's in your interest to do whatever you reasonably can to avoid crashes, even those that aren't your fault.

#411112 - 11/07/08 11:08 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
270 Offline
270  Offline

Texas
Good point Mitch.

A-Get some good rider training.
B-Dress for the ride
C-Don't ride over your skill level

My guess is he screwed up all of the above. Happens every day. I hope he's OK. I hope he's embarrased as hell. That's not running wide...that's flat missing the curve. Nobody's fault but the rider.

Allen Dye

IBA #270
CMRA #270

#411148 - 11/08/08 12:46 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday

Good grief.

There's a common theme in this thread, and it is this: anyone asking a question about potential factors in this incident is being accused of assigning blame/responsibility to something other than the rider who crashed. We won't learn much if all we can say is "the rider screwed up," without being able to assess/discuss how the rider screwed up, and what might have made things worse/better for everyone who was involved.

In this particular instance: to suggest that the rider may have been distracted by the photographer is not to blame the photographer at all. If the rider was in fact distracted, it's worthy of mentioning and lesson-learning, e.g. pay attention to where you're going, not to Killboy. It would be hard to fault the photographer in such an accident unless he was taking flash photos with some kinda photon cannon and blinding unsuspecting riders as they came around the bend.

In the case of the SUV driver: he's not to be faulted. BUT, assuming he was distracted by the camera, there's a small chance he could have avoided the collision if he had been watching the road instead. Why is this worth mentioning? If you're in a car and you kill a guy on a bike, you will feel bad for a long time, even if it's not your fault. it's in your interest to do whatever you reasonably can to avoid crashes, even those that aren't your fault.

Mitch,
Please stop trying to have an objective, intelligent discussion. All we're interested in is conclusions that you could put on a bumper sticker.

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#411159 - 11/08/08 01:21 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: russell_bynum]  
smiller Offline
smiller  Offline

Asheville, NC
I think it was Mitch's fault.

#411162 - 11/08/08 01:33 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: smiller]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#411182 - 11/08/08 03:14 AM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: smiller]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
 Originally Posted By: smiller
I think it was Mitch's fault.

Sure. Blame the messenger. OK.

#411252 - 11/08/08 01:26 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Bologna Offline
Bologna  Offline

Minnesota
Just wanted to throw my 2cents worth in here. I spend my winters ski racing (ALPINE) with helmets and pads and we bang gates several times a week trying to relive our youth. What it does teach you is how to commit to a turn prior to the turn and I believe that if the commitment is not there than what we call "late" to the next gate occurs over and over until you can catch up to the race course. We have racers,observers,photographers standing next to the race course during our events and waving to the crowd will get you into trouble real quick and buying the beer after the race! I have been ski racing and driving a motorcycle for 30 years and i get the same feelings arcing a sweet turn on a RT or on my Fischer race skis. In my humble opinion the commitment to the turn was not in play.

'02 R1150RT

#411279 - 11/08/08 02:38 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: Bologna]  
upflying Offline
upflying  Offline

Reno, NV
You want a bumper sticker?
"Avoid pain, stay in your lane"

Bob
Reno,NV

2014 HD FXDC
2001 HD FLHPi (former work bike)
2009 HD FLHPi 103" (former work bike)
1972 Honda CT-90 garage queen

Logical politics is the Holy Grail of oxymorons.
#411368 - 11/08/08 08:36 PM Re: Crash at the Dragon-Caught on Film [Re: upflying]  
MAT2CHI Offline
MAT2CHI  Offline

Marin County - California
 Originally Posted By: upflying
You want a bumper sticker?
"Avoid pain, stay in your lane"

How about: "Slow down, or go down".

2008 SM 610
2006 CRF450X
2004 R1150RT
1989 FXST
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10