Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#415306 - 11/20/08 05:45 PM Gap videos  
RTP'er Offline
RTP'er  Offline

Northern California
I was watching some Youtube videos on the Gap. I was wondering, how come it is legal for 18 wheelers to cross the double yellow lines? And how many motorcyclists get killed in head on truck crashes per month? This is nuts.

#415328 - 11/20/08 06:32 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: RTP'er]  
Jerry Duke Offline
Jerry Duke  Offline

Albany, GA
It's a US highway, US 129. If you ever get there, stop in at the store/restaurant at Deal's Gap and there are plenty of pictures that make you wonder why they bother with motorcycles when they should be diverting trucks off this road.

#415333 - 11/20/08 06:47 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: Jerry Duke]  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
 Originally Posted By: Jerry Duke
It's a US highway, US 129. If you ever get there, stop in at the store/restaurant at Deal's Gap and there are plenty of pictures that make you wonder why they bother with motorcycles when they should be diverting trucks off this road.

My understanding was that many of the truckers end up on this road by accident - their GPS units route them there and they have no idea what awaits them. Kinda like what happens when some of the EU truckers cross over to England and get routed through a small village where they then cannot proceed forward or even get jammed in between buildings.

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
#415337 - 11/20/08 06:56 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
RTP'er Offline
RTP'er  Offline

Northern California
There is videos of crazies going way fast that wouldn't stand a chance if a truck showed up around the turn, but I also saw some videos of people cruising the speed limit being run off the road coming on a truck with no way around. It doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe a sign, no trucks past this point? No lawsuits from people getting hurt? Do they value motorcylist's lives so little?
Nuts...

#415341 - 11/20/08 07:01 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
 Originally Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider

My understanding was that many of the truckers end up on this road by accident - their GPS units route them there and they have no idea what awaits them. Kinda like what happens when some of the EU truckers cross over to England and get routed through a small village where they then cannot proceed forward or even get jammed in between buildings.

There's a big sign on the north end that warns of tight twisty roads and advises trucks to seek an alternate route. No doubt there are some truckers who don't know what they're in for and give it a shot, but I suspect there are some who realize the length of the detour required to go any other way, and decide to shoot the gap. Starting out in Marysville:

-Direct route to Robbinsville, through Deals Gap, is 32 miles.

-To the east, commercial traffic through Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park is prohibited. You have to go around the east end of the park, for a total distance of 160 miles.

-To the west - 411, 360, Cherohala Skyway - is 82 miles.

So through the Gap, treacherous though it be, saves 50 miles and at least an hour.

And no, AFAIK it is not legal for anyone to cross a double-yellow line - even if you're dragging a 53-foot trailer through hairpin turns. I doubt they get cited for it very often though.

#415351 - 11/20/08 07:26 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
RTP'er Offline
RTP'er  Offline

Northern California

#415557 - 11/21/08 10:55 AM Re: Gap videos [Re: RTP'er]  
wbrissette Offline
wbrissette  Offline

Austin, Texas
This past spring I was out at Deals Gap. A group of six of us rode from Austin to Georgia. I had just picked up my Buell Ulysses a few weeks before and decided to see what it was like on long trips. The problem was by the time I got there, I already needed my 1 K service (I was over by a few hundred as it was). Normally I would have waited, but it was the first service and the bike would have nearly 2K miles on it by the time I got back to Texas. Anyhow, another rider and I rode to TN to get the service on the Buell done at a HD shop that said they could work me in (understatement... they pull a mechanic and had him start on it immediately). We were in and out of the dealership in under two hours.

We decided to hit the dragon since we were mere minutes away. I'm not exactly sure where the 18 wheeler came from. We completed the East to West leg, stopped at the dam, got off looked around, then got back on our bikes and rode back West to East. About 1.5 miles in, we stumbled across the the 18-wheeler. I have no idea where it came from. I would have thought I would have seen or heard it pass us while we were viewing the river. Anyhow, that 18-wheeler was in a world of hurt. He had to straddle both roads many, many times and several times the traffic had to reverse on the East to West route, so he could get he rig around the corner. I was surprised nobody got hurt. There was one stretch where we could see around him, and we both had enough and shot in front of him.

On the way back to the cabin we rented in Northern Georgia, we hit Hwy 64 in TN and both of us thought that road was just as enjoyable as the dragon. I personally think too many people are now riding on 129.

Wayne

Last edited by wbrissette; 11/21/08 10:55 AM.

2011 BMW R1200 GS Adventure (back down to one bike)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (wife's bike)
#415607 - 11/21/08 03:08 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
motoguy128 Offline
motoguy128  Offline

Keokuk, Iowa
 Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
 Originally Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider

There's a big sign on the north end that warns of tight twisty roads and advises trucks to seek an alternate route. No doubt there are some truckers who don't know what they're in for and give it a shot, but I suspect there are some who realize the length of the detour required to go any other way, and decide to shoot the gap. Starting out in Marysville:

-Direct route to Robbinsville, through Deals Gap, is 32 miles.

-To the east, commercial traffic through Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park is prohibited. You have to go around the east end of the park, for a total distance of 160 miles.

-To the west - 411, 360, Cherohala Skyway - is 82 miles.

So through the Gap, treacherous though it be, saves 50 miles and at least an hour.

And no, AFAIK it is not legal for anyone to cross a double-yellow line - even if you're dragging a 53-foot trailer through hairpin turns. I doubt they get cited for it very often though.

Parts of Deals Gap remind me of Independence Pass in Colorado. They clearly restrict traffic with trailer longer than a certian number of feet. I don't know why that can't be done there as well. The detour for IP is at least 100 additonal miles... and most GPS will probably try to route you through it.

2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)
#415627 - 11/21/08 03:55 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: RTP'er]  
BeamieToo Offline
BeamieToo  Offline

Netherlands

It makes me cringe. If that trucker is not violating every ethical and regulatory code in the book than I don't know what to think.

These vids speak for themselves. These maniacs should not be behind the wheel at all !!!!!!!!!!

Kenny 1150RT
Amersfoort, Holland
#415652 - 11/21/08 04:29 PM Re: Gap videos [Re: BeamieToo]  
RTP'er Offline
RTP'er  Offline

Northern California
The guy that laid it down did an amazing job finding the one spot of clear ground to do that. You can see him heading for that tree and then adjusting his trajectory to go further right to the tiny clearing where he could safely do so. It looks to me like he was dang close to the speed limit of 30.

Had he been one of those fast crotch rockets he would have been an organ donor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3