IGNORED

Ye Olde New England UNrally Announcement

SAMSAR

UN VIII August 10-13, 2009

"Ye Olde New England UNrally"

The 2009 UNrally VIII dates have been set for arriving Monday, August 10th and departing Thursday, August 13th… and now, we’re announcing the location!

Next year’s UN HQ will be based at Roger's Campground & Motel and is located 2 miles east of Lancaster, New Hampshire and about 30 miles west of Mt. Washington.

rogers-air4.jpg

This region of New Hampshire is known as The White Mountains. There is wonderful riding in all directions with many Notches that the roads twist and travel through. One of these is called the Kancamagus .

What we’ve stumbled on (Woodie, Armando, and I found this place while on a Saddlesore run) is an ideal HQ that, based on learning’s from past UN’s, has everything we need in one location:

- Motel and Campground are on the same site

- Motel where people can open rooms and hang out in parking lot

- Plenty of centralized space (like a dedicated recreation hall) to congregate

- Dining area large enough for a group our size

- Paved roads in the campground

- Helpful staff with experience hosting rally's in our sweet spot

- Close proximity to local town with interesting restaurants and shopping

- Great riding portraying what this part of the country has to offer.

- Centrally located to wider destinations should you want to branch out after the UN.

ADF5C4CE-0392-4B00-B9AA-1C84F9403BBC.jpg

To the right of the picture are two banks of motels, each with two levels of 26 rooms and spectacular views. Behind the motels are tenting areas where campers can all be co-located. Towards the bottom is a large Recreation Hall with Garage Doors that can either be opened or closed and, a very large fire pit in the field. The Rec Hall is where we will put UN HQ and will be ideal for registration, message boards, ride coordination, dinners, and evening socializing. In case the August heat is high, the yellow strip to the right of the motel is a large water slide and there is a hot tub and several pools to the left.

Turning left out of the campground brings you to Lancaster, NH in a couple miles. Turn right and in 30 miles you can take the Auto Road to the top of Mt. Washington. South is the town of Conway and, one of my favorite rides, is to the northeast along the Androscoggin River towards the Rangley Lakes Region. The offroad options are plenty as well.

For those looking to expand beyond the UN:

- Montreal is 3 hours northwest and Quebec is 4 hours due north

- Acadia National Park on the coast of Maine is 4 hours east

- Boston is 3 hours south and New York City is 6 hours

- Nova Scotia is 10 hours and the tip of Gaspe is 12 hours

We’ll be working on updating the unrally.com website soon In the meantime, please go directly to our Online UNrally Registration Site. We've kept the fee to $50 which, as in the past, will include a breakfast, dinner, UN t-shirt/sticker, and route maps.

Also, since everyone will be traveling to the Northeast, we are considering a traditional New England Clam Bake (example menu) as an "Upgrade Option" to the usual group dinner. However, we're still working on the pricing and will get out a follow up announcement if we can keep it reasonable.

We are requesting a check be written for the registration fee so that we may put the money towards the event rather than administrative fees. However, PayPal is also an option and the $50 can be transferred into SAMSAR's PayPal account at plsoucy@gmail.com. Checks should be mailed and made out to:

Paul L. Soucy

47 Talcott Range Dr.

East Granby, CT 06026

Memo: 2009 BMW UNrally

As with past UN’s, you will make your reservations directly with the campground. While the website has an online reservation system, we have been asked to call the owner’s son, Randy, directly so the better rates will apply. Mention the BMW UNrally and he will know exactly who you are. One night’s deposit is required up front.

Rates are as follows:

- $55/Night for Each Room

- $15/Night for Each Tent Site with Electric

- $29/Night for RV Site

The rooms have been blocked for now. However, we do need to book all 52 motel rooms by January for the best overall rates to apply.

The Cancellation Policy for the UNrally is favorable: "Guests may cancel up to 30 days in advance to have their deposits back. If a guest does cancel [in less than 30 days,] and the room can be utilized, either by an UNrally member OR a regular hotel guest, the deposit will [also] be refunded. Any rooms that cannot be filled will forfeit deposit if the previous conditions are not met, however this will not increase the group rate unless the difference is substantial (10% or 6 rooms or more). Paul and Randy will then sit down, discuss the situation and agree upon an outcome."

The number to call Randy directly and reserve a room/site is 603-788-4885. Let the number ring so it can rollover to his cell phone. The mailing address is:

Roger's Campground

ATTN: Randy Peck

10 Rogers Campground Rd

Lancaster, NH 03584

Since he has already closed up for the season, and the power/phones cut, the credit card machine is offline and he will be requesting a check be mailed to him.

PLEASE Lock down your room reservation now… once the rooms are booked, anyone else will need to stay down the road in Lancaster.

REMEMBER:

1. Make your hotel/camping reservations directly with Roger's Campground and Motel. 603-788-4885

2. Register for the UNrally here

3. Send your $50 Registration Fee to Paul Soucy

4. Let us know with a posting here or PM that you’ve made your reservation so we can start getting a count.

With the site now chosen, the core planning team will be moving into route recon mode and working thru all the other logistics to make this a great time for everyone. We’ve already benefited greatly from the experiences of the past UN hosts and would like to say “Thanks!”

Cheers!

SAMSAR, Armando, Francis, Spyder, and Woodie

Fantastic site and great area to ride! Just got off the phone with Randy who made my reservation for a room. Looking forward to seeing you all next summer!

I have reservations through Randy. He did accept a credit card so no need to send a check. He also answered my question about showers for the campers and he said yes.

This is the mack daddy of awesome! My mom lives in Lancaster NH and my kids spend the summer there with her. I've been wanting to go to the UN but the distance was too far out West in the past. Now I can ride up from Florida and the girls will already be there.

You'll love Lancaster. It's like old America with a small main street with plenty of little shops, a covered bridge and friendly people. The riding will be excellent in all directions. I think to the West into Vermont will be my favorite.

We're IN!!! :grin:

Got our room (#2) for five days (arriving one day early and staying a day late). We settled for a motel room since I thought the cabins were an awfully GOOD deal for $125.00 a week . . . turns out that was the nightly rate if you book it for a week! (ILDopeSlapGH)

Anyway, we'll be looking into planning the Pied Piper Run from San Diego to NH. I think SageRider's already got a thread going in this forum.

I've been saving up all my annual vacation time for this one and I think we'll have enough new hires to be sure that I get the time off!!!!!

Wooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see OldFart and Raaaaaaaaan are already "IN!" . . . are you out there ChrisK and LesterV and . . . who else was on "the list" again? :grin:

(ILDopeSlapGH)

Hey!

Oh, that's right. Never mind.

Looks a great locale. I've been up there on road trips (though all in the case) on several occasions.

(ILDopeSlapGH)

Hey!

Oh, that's right. Never mind.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! Hi Greg!! (ILWGH)

So . . . I don't recall seeing an "IN!" from you!?!?!?! :-)

WTF, dude? :-D

Seriously, I'm ABSOLUTELY GIDDY with excitement!!! :Cool:

(I'm sure the wine isn't helping any :grin: )

This looks like the PERFECT place for an UnRally!!!

I just got off the phone with Randy booking our room--Woooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I talked to Paul earlier tonight . . . from INDIA!!!!! . . . and he and his team have done an INCREDIBLE job on spearheading this UnRally!!!

On behalf of all of us who make attending this annual event something to strive for, I would like to SINCERELY thank Paul/"SAMSAR", Suzanne and his AWESOME UnTeam: Armando, Francis, Spyder, and Woodie!!!!!!!!

For those of you who have had the supreme privilege of attending one of Paul's and Suzanne's "NorthEast Tech Daze" you KNOW what a great job he and his team can do--and for the rest of you: this is an UnRally NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!!

I'm so gee darn excited . . . this might just carry me through the next few difficult months until I can breathe again! (June 2nd, "special election" day)

Hey Ye OldeFart!! You want to come out to "Dry Town" and ride out with us for the Pied Piper Tour? :grin:

IN :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

IN!!!!!!!!!!! (Duhhhhhh) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks like a FANTASTIC place and perfect for the Un!!!! Well done folks!!!!

I think to the West into Vermont will be my favorite.

And one more benefit of heading west into Vermont -- it is LEGAL to pass on a double yellow line! :clap:

Lets_Play_Two

Penelope and I are IN!! Waiting for call back from Randy on a room(probably still recovering from last night's onslaught).

Edited by Lets_Play_Two

Got my room call this morning. Room 7!

Matching Jamie & Leslie's dates: Arriving 8/9 Departing 8/14.

It will have 2 beds and I am looking to split costs / share room with an interested Pied Piperer. Please PM if interested.

Lets_Play_Two
Penelope and I are IN!! Waiting for call back from Randy on a room(probably still recovering from last night's onslaught).

Okay, just booked Room #9....they are going fast!!

He is taking credit card for deposit.

In! I can't think of a better way to spend my very 1st SS check!!! :thumbsup:

(edited: Randy has me in Room 11)

Jeff

Edited by Effjay

In pending re-assignment of Grandpa duties. That's a wonderful area full of great roads to explore. :thumbsup:

Edited by RichEdwards

Bullett/Sharon & Twisties/Jan in room #4.

The two bmwfans, Jamie & Phil, in room #5.

Sagerider/Michael in room #7.

And I'm in the middle, got room #6, it has one bed. :thumbsup:

I hope the walls are thick enough to not hear me snoring...

This will be fun!!!

I have a question about the hotel rooms I could not find on the web site, are these 2 twin beds or 1 queen or what does anyone know??

Randy told me that my room (#1) has 2 queen beds while Paul (Oldfart) posted his room (#6) only has a single bed.

"I'm right in the middle of all of you. I've got 5A, whatever that is?"

That must be Jamie and Phil's kitchen. Did you get a discount? :grin:

That's an upcharge room if he's with us! :grin:

CoarsegoldKid

And one more benefit of heading west into Vermont -- it is LEGAL to pass on a double yellow line! :clap:

Why then do they use a double yellow? Seems dangerous to me.

I can't seem to get through to Randy. I left a message this morning but he never called back. It will be my luck he's all booked by the time I actually talk to him.

Edited by Coarsegoldkid

That's an upcharge room if he's with us! :grin:

Maybe it's in the second building?

I can't seem to get through to Randy. I left a message this morning but he never called back. It will be my luck he's all booked by the time I actually talk to him.

Glad to see I'm not the only one..... I called last night and left a message... missed Randy's return call at 7:39 am (California time) this morning and have tried a number of times today and can't reach him.... :(

Well I just glanced at the 2009 calendar. I have payroll that week. I will have to see what I can work out so we can go. I have a few months to work it out. Will wait to make reservations. :(

Nice n Easy Rider

Glad to see I'm not the only one..... I called last night and left a message... missed Randy's return call at 7:39 am (California time) this morning and have tried a number of times today and can't reach him.... :(

He must have been trying to return several calls around that time because he got back to me (on my cell phone) at just about 10:30-11:00 AM (EST). He did say he was having trouble getting through to his Mastercard/VISA number so maybe he was trying to resolve that before he took too many more reservations.

The state law states that it is "advised" not to pass but not illegal. You must have a safe sight line in order to do it legally.

Randy is playing golf today and then watching the Texas game. He is trying to get back to everyone as soon as he can. He said he will be returning calls tomorrow.

Randy is playing golf today and then watching the Texas game. He is trying to get back to everyone as soon as he can. He said he will be returning calls tomorrow.

:thumbsup: I'll do something I normally don't do... I'll keep my phone on me...

The state law states that it is "advised" not to pass but not illegal. You must have a safe sight line in order to do it legally.

I have found that while riding in VT. that drivers are VERY nice to cycles and bear to the right shoulder to allow passing. Slowing down also to let the whole group pass by.

Sounds great, especially since it's only 480 kms (300 miles) from Ottawa and an area I'm fairly familiar with, and enjoy. I've registered and paid via Paypal, so now I'd better get one of those rooms. See what happens when you're asleep at the switch for a day -- you miss these announcements.

Edited by marcopolo