BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#42714 - 09/14/05 10:43 PM UnRally hotel accomodations...  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
A new Holiday Inn Express, scheduled to open in January of 2006, will serve as UnRally headquarters in 2006. This is tentative until I can confirm rates, room blocks and other details. I hope to have this nailed down this week.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the number of room I should tell them that we could use as our initial reservation block.

I've looked at the numbers from previous UnRallies, as well as considering the fact that our El Paseo and Torrey events are either all or mostly hotelers.

While I realize that tradition and history reflect that many camp during the UnRallies, I am also wondering if some or many would change to the hotel when they find out that it will serve as HQ, and that it will have all the amenities, such as breakfast included with the room, sauna, indoor heated pool, etc.

My initial thought that a block of 60 to 80 rooms would not be unrealistic. The mix would be mostly doubles with two queen beds, some singles with king beds, some suites, etc.

Hmmm...

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42715 - 09/14/05 10:51 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
I'd say 60 or 70 sounds about right.

This sounds like a great choice to me.

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#42716 - 09/14/05 11:42 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
The last thing I want to do after riding all day, is climb into a damn sleeping bag. And when I get up in the morning, I don't want to have to walk across the campground freezing my ass off just so I can go to the john.

Needless to say, you will not get any complaints from me if the HQ is a hotel instead of a campground.

What can I say...I'm a pussy.

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#42717 - 09/14/05 11:45 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: russell_bynum]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

What can I say...I'm a pussy.

Well, I love -- nevermind...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42718 - 09/15/05 01:35 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Just a few questions to think about when you talk with them:

Where in Gunnison will it be located?
Walking distance to restaurants is nice. Many people will still want to camp, and it may not work too well if it is on the opposite side of town from a campground.

What are the room rates?
Hopefully a new hotel won't be having premium prices for us.

Are they motorcycle friendly?
Some hotels don't like to have a bunch of biker trash hanging around. Some places may want to put a noise restriction on us in the evening. 10:00 pm is very reasonable; 9:00 pm may not be.

Is it a multi-level hotel, with no roomfront parking, where everyone goes in the same main door and up the elevator?
Just thinking about the ease of getting our numerous items off the bikes and into our rooms with as few trips up and down the elevator as possible (especially when everyone is trying to leave on the same day at the same time).

Is the parking lot conducive to motorcycle parking?
Level. Safe. Etc.

Is there a large enough and comfortable enough outdoor area where everyone can hang out and socialize?
This is needed for morning introductory events, morning coffee and whatever, evening get-togethers, etc. If we have to be scattered in different areas inside and outside, it takes away from the social aspect of the Unrally. Being able to interact easily with all the people attending is very important. In addition, it would be a plus if they have a large enough indoor area in case the weather is bad.

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

"Got a motorcycle and a bottle of gin,
Ima go downtown see what I can get in."
#42719 - 09/15/05 02:43 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: PhillyFlash]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Thanks, Howard.

I've asked most of your questions, but you've brought up a couple that I hadn't, and will.

The new hotel will be about 1.50 miles from the KOA, which is about the norm for the larger hotels in Gunnison.

The room rates will be competitive with the other chains in the area. We are discussing these now.

They will have a conference room, but it does not sound like it will be large enough for our entire group, in case of inclement weather, so this will not be any different than if all of us were at the KOA, as the KOA no longer has a large tent outside.

There is an area that will be next to the hotel (within walking distance) that I am researching. I've been told that this area will have cover and will be a great area for our one group evening meal, i.e., a BBQ.

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42720 - 09/15/05 03:05 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
We might be able to rent a large tent and leave it up for the entire time, too? And just build it into the price?

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#42721 - 09/15/05 03:10 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Tasker, socialization is the big issue. We need a place to gather. One that is socially COMFORTABLE. The picnic table area at the KOA served us well at the first Un. And from the pics I've seen of the other Uns, such areas are absolutely ideal for mixing and BSing. Does the hotel have such an area that can be somewhat trampled upon, sat upon, napped upon (nip it, Baker), and generally used as if it were one big back yard?

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#42722 - 09/15/05 03:39 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: EffBee]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Tasker, socialization is the big issue. We need a place to gather. One that is socially COMFORTABLE.

I agree with you and I understand this, clearly. I've been to two UnRallies, all the El Paseo weekends, and several other moto-events over many years.

One of my main priorities is to create an environment that welcomes and encourages socialization.

With the El Paseo events, socialization happens easily in the parking lot(s) of the hotel, as is the case with the Torrey events.

For the UnRallies, it happens at both locations, the campground and the hotel, sometimes merging at one or both locations.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution for everyone. Those who camp, and who have been used to the UnRally HQ being at the KOA, won't be as happy. Those who hotel it may be a bit happier.

The term HQ is a relative term, too. The hotel will be the HQ because that is where I will be, but I'm sure I (and others) will spend time at the KOA, as well.

I am also working on the tent concept, as well, and depending on who I wind up using for the evening dinner, they may be able to provide it at a nominal fee.

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42723 - 09/15/05 11:43 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
Spike Offline
Life Friend of the Board
Spike  Offline
Life Friend of the Board

Mt. Airy, MD
Some thoughts since Patti and I just got through all of this:

My first thought is that if you put the HQ at a hotel (my vote) I would expect 80% - 90% of the people to hotel it. Putting it at the KOA definately creates 2 different groups, those who camp and those who dont. It bit us pretty hard this past year and quite frankly it disappointed me, though we didn't have much choice with the locations and honestly, I over estimated the inclusiveness of the groups on a social level.

Before Patti and were able to secure the shelter for last year we priced in a large gathering tent (through the caterer) for the supper. What we found was that the price per plate was insignigicant, especially when included in overall cost of attendance. We ended up dropping it though as we didn't need it. This should'nt cause any gas in the planning stages, as long as you can find a provider.

As for the size of the block, I would think that 70 would be a good number. I would not go higher than that, at least not initially as some will do their own thing or do the KOA thing. Also, you are on the ball, but make sure you let the mayor know were coming or some such. They appeard to really like us last time and wanted us to come back.

The last thought is that I think socialization in the parking lot like the other events is quite satisfactory. Id gladly stand on asphalt to know that I have an air conditioned room 3 minutes away with, privacy,a hot shower, and food close by. I just hope the parking lot is sizable as I forsee lots of Ram's and trailers, big ones, showing up!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike