BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#42734 - 09/16/05 07:41 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: russell_bynum]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
Quote:

Fernando, you bring the recliners and I'll bring my sofa, my end tables and lamps!

Sounds like the stuff that Baker brings to a track day.

He better watch out, or he will need a trailer for his trailer!

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42735 - 09/16/05 07:49 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA

LOL!

It was pretty cool, actually.

Big Easy-up, a bunch of chairs (I think there were five chairs), card table, ice chest, etc. We didn't wind up using these, but he brought two of those big box fans like we all use for doing TB Syncs, and a Honda Generator. The plan was to zip-tie the fans to the easy up and power them with the generator to make redneck ceiling fans.

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#42736 - 09/16/05 08:15 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: russell_bynum]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
Quote:

LOL!

It was pretty cool, actually.

Big Easy-up, a bunch of chairs (I think there were five chairs), card table, ice chest, etc. We didn't wind up using these, but he brought two of those big box fans like we all use for doing TB Syncs, and a Honda Generator. The plan was to zip-tie the fans to the easy up and power them with the generator to make redneck ceiling fans.

Here's the other part of this story:

I just happened to be at his house, waiting for my GS, which was at Bloodworth getting the 12K service done, while he was packing the truck and trailer for the weekend.

I told him that I wouldn't really be impressed with what he was taking until he added the full-blown caterer to the track weekend!

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42737 - 09/16/05 08:32 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: Tasker]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
I told him that I wouldn't really be impressed with what he was taking until he added the full-blown caterer to the track weekend!

Russell
#42738 - 09/16/05 11:29 PM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: russell_bynum]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
Quote:

Fernando, you bring the recliners and I'll bring my sofa, my end tables and lamps!

Hey, putz. Who used it all that second day? Who never sat on it? Who sat out in the hot sun keeping an eye on your sorry ass, weaving all over the track?

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#42739 - 09/17/05 02:51 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: David]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Hey, putz. Who used it all that second day? Who never sat on it? Who sat out in the hot sun keeping an eye on your sorry ass, weaving all over the track?

Settle down, schmuck...I did say "It was pretty cool".

And I didn't just use it the second day...I used it both days.

Russell
#42740 - 09/19/05 01:18 AM Re: UnRally hotel accomodations... [Re: russell_bynum]  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Quote:

The plan was to zip-tie the fans to the easy up and power them with the generator to make redneck ceiling fans.

REDNECK CEILING FANS!!! You get away with THAT, and I get a shot across the bow (Strike One with a smilie attached) for saying Chicken Fracker?

Damn, if the boss likes to go mountain climbing I guess the smart move is to buy some cleats.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#42741 - 10/01/05 09:12 PM Scouting Report [Re: Tasker]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
After leaving Torrey last weekend. I decided to take a little trip to Gunnison. I found the Holiday Inn Express. I'd guess it is still a good 3-6 months away from being ready for occupancy. The building is up, but the outside is far from being finished, and parking lots are heaps of dirt (but boundaries are outlined). It is on the far east side of town, directly in front of the Western State College of Colorado campus. It looks just like any other Holiday Inn Express, down to the size and shape of the parking lot. I think the hotel is 3 stories. The parking lot has plenty of room for cars and bikes. If it is pretty full when we are there, I don't know if there will be much room to socialize in the lot. There are city parks just a block or two away, but I don't know if they would let us have a beer party there (without a permit, at least), plus, it wouldn't be very convenient. The Holiday Inn is 3 miles away from the KOA. This isn't too bad, since once you are out of the KOA area, it is all in-town streets, so there is no problem with darkness or deer. However, anyone having a couple of beers at the KOA would have to be very careful crossing those last 2 miles, as I'm sure police enforcement will be present and ready.

The two nicest motels closest to the KOA (only 1 mile away) are the Day's Inn and the Alpine Inn (which had a different name 3 years ago, possibly Comfort Inn). Most of us who stayed in motels at Un-1 stayed in these two, and they met our needs very well. I believe the rates also were decent. There is another motel less than 2 miles to the west call the Water Wheel. I stayed there a few times several years ago, and it was very nice. There are also 2 very basic motels on US 50 just across the street from the road that leads to the KOA. They are probably pretty inexpensive (they look a bit run-down; just single story with parking in front of your door), but they still are additional options for people.

I rode through the KOA to see how it looks, and it looked no different than it did in 2002. Grounds seemed in good shape.

The Holiday Inn Express certainly should be able to hold all of us without a problem, but so should the two motels close to the KOA, especially if we get an early start on reservations (which some already have done; I'm not one of them). The advantage to the 2 motels on the west side of town is the close location to the KOA if we try to hold some events there. If we are at the Holiday Inn, we could still hold events at the KOA; it would just be a little further to travel. That being the case, I think we'd end up with a larger division between those staying at and partying at the Holiday Inn (as opposed to the Day's Inn/Alpine Inn) vs. those staying at and partying at the KOA. Many people may jump on their bikes without helmet and gear to go 1 mile, but maybe not 3. Some psychological effects of the distance, rather than the distance itself, may keep people on their "home" turf.

Gunnison is not a big town (2 miles east to west), so all of this may not be that big of a deal. The Holiday Inn will be new and very nice, but could be pricier. It is very big. My personal preference would be to keep everything on the west side of town, keeping everyone closer together. Just easier logistics. But this is only a scouting report to help the organizer(s) with the decision-making. I plan to be there, wherever we hold it, staying in a motel (probably).

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

"Got a motorcycle and a bottle of gin,
Ima go downtown see what I can get in."
#42742 - 10/01/05 09:28 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: PhillyFlash]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Oh, yeah. One more thing from my scouting that will be of interest to everyone. When I got to the western edge of Gunnison, there was a LEO (possibly Gunnison Police) facing west with radar, giving someone a ticket about 1 miles west of town. When I left, I remembered that, went exactly the speed limit, and was passed by a car going less than 10 above the limit. Wouldn't you know it. He got about 200 yards ahead of me and here comes the same LEO heading east, zaps him with instant on, and pulled him right over. This was about 3-4 miles west of Gunnison. Obviously, he was just patrolling back and forth in that area. I'd suggest that you watch your speed carefully anywhere within about 10 miles of Gunnison, just to be on the safe side. However, the entire way down CO 149 (through Lake City down to Creede), I did not see a single LEO. A county LEO was in Creede, though. 149 was spectacular. I'm sure we'll get lots of folks riding it. Rather than making a loop like I did at Un-1, I think I'd rather ride it down to Creede, and then turn around and ride it back north again. Anyone in?

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

"Got a motorcycle and a bottle of gin,
Ima go downtown see what I can get in."
#42743 - 10/02/05 07:35 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: PhillyFlash]  
Tool Offline
Tool  Offline

Bonita/San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:

Rather than making a loop like I did at Un-1, I think I'd rather ride it down to Creede, and then turn around and ride it back north again. Anyone in?

Uh, that's a rhetorical question, right?

Denny
Our Photos

"When a bird flies through an empty sky, it becomes less clear as it gets farther away, and we come to think of it as having disappeared."
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike