Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#42754 - 10/13/05 04:58 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: EffBee]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
Fernando, you make a number of very good, valid points about the HQ being at the KOA. And, as I've said, the location of the HQ really doesn't matter to me, so I am happy to reconsider the KOA as the official HQ. Logistically, it probably makes better sense, as there are (currently) to many unknowns about the hotel situation, and what they will be able to do for us in the way of outdoor accomodations.

I have already had discussions with the KOA owners there about having a tent put up for our group for that week, and they are checking into having one installed for us. There used to be one there all the time, but it came down when the ownership changed, and the "in-house" caterers went away, as the tent belonged to the caterers.

As far as the hotel is concerned, it will come down to a choice between two, based on rates, conveniences, our needs and availability. Unfortunately, mid-June is considered prime-time, so the rates are going to be on the high side.

I don't think it will make much of a difference where the HQ is to those who hotel it, as was the case in Staunton. For the very same reasons the campers like to be able to enjoy their adult beverages, socialize and then crawl and drop into their tents or cabins, the hotelers want and deserve the same amenities, as they should. So, the challenge of getting the two groups to stay and play together will always be tough, unless we're at Cody. I don't think that this is a "hotelers vs. the campers" kind of thing, it's just about convenience.

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42755 - 10/13/05 06:09 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: Tasker]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Quote:

As far as the hotel is concerned, it will come down to a choice between two, based on rates, conveniences, our needs and availability.

I know the Holiday Inn Express is one of them. What is the other?

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

"Got a motorcycle and a bottle of gin,
Ima go downtown see what I can get in."
#42756 - 10/14/05 02:27 AM Re: Scouting Report [Re: PhillyFlash]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Water Wheel.

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42757 - 10/14/05 02:49 AM Re: Scouting Report [Re: Tasker]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
I've stayed there before. Nice rooms; nice grounds.

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

"Got a motorcycle and a bottle of gin,
Ima go downtown see what I can get in."
#42758 - 10/14/05 04:13 AM Re: Scouting Report [Re: Tasker]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Quote:

Water Wheel.

You know, I was kicking myself that I didn't check that place out when we were just in Gunnison. It looked pretty nice with some country charm and a nice central parking lot (I don't think it is all paved, though none of the KOA was).

It seems like it would be a good location for a HQ and it's big enough even to house the whole group even if they all decided to hotel it. I don't know how expensive or how full they are already though. The advantage there is the couple of nice restaurants nearby and the campground close enough to still be convenient without having to go all the way to the other side of town.

I don't know why we didn't stop in there and check it out better! I stopped and took the pictures, but we were there in the middle of the day and it looked deserted. Dang it--sorry for falling down on the job, Tasker!

For some more pics of the Gunnison scouting, check out our SmugMug gallery here.

Dang, that is some beautiful country! Even my lousy pictures with my shitty little camera can't mess it up! I'm getting excited all over again!!! Can't wait until June!

Last edited by KMG_365; 10/15/05 05:45 AM.

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#42759 - 10/14/05 03:50 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: KMG_365]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

I like the newness of the about-to-open Holiday Inn Express, but that's just me. The rates for both properties will wind up being about the same however, the Water Wheel seems to have better grounds, and as you said, it is two miles closer to the pesky campers .

The director of the Gunnison Chamber of Commerce uses the Water Wheel all the time to house business guests, as well as her family when they visit. She says that it is older, but clean and well-kept. She did not know about internet access.

The Holiday Inn will have (good) continental breakfast included, as well as a pool, internet access and laundry services, which for many, will be worth the extra two miles drive time. Other than not knowing about internet access, I know the Water Wheel does not include anything else.

It (Water Wheel) is just now under new ownership, and I have not been able to talk with the new owner yet, but he is aware of me and our group and when we want to visit. I've been told that at this point, that week in June is wide open for them.

I'm still working on the rates, so we'll see.

The pictures are a lot of help. Could you run up there and snap some pictures of the new Holiday Inn property?

If not, you're fired!

2016 R1200GS/WC
#42760 - 10/14/05 05:36 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: Tasker]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Quote:

The pictures are a lot of help. Could you run up there and snap some pictures of the new Holiday Inn property?

Oooooooh! Don't tempt me!

When would you need those by?

As long as I'm on the clock and get my usual Moderator pay, travel bonuses, mileage allowances and generous "per diem", I'm all over that! We're planning a recon ride next weekend for the Death Valley Daze ride in January--maybe we can swing by Gunnison quickly on the way home!

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#42761 - 10/14/05 07:03 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: Tasker]  
EffBee Online
Administrator
EffBee  Online
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Quote:

Fernando, you make a number of very good, valid points about the HQ being at the KOA. And, as I've said, the location of the HQ really doesn't matter to me, so I am happy to reconsider the KOA as the official HQ. Logistically, it probably makes better sense, as there are (currently) to many unknowns about the hotel situation, and what they will be able to do for us in the way of outdoor accomodations.

Tasker, I think you missed my point(s). The first point I made is that this is not about moving HQ to the KOA. Not at all. It's going to be at a motel. Period. Now, having cleared that up, let me restate:

We got lucky the first time. As I said, we didn't know bupkus about how to run one of these things. The KOA worked out for a number of reasons, as I stated. One of those was the fact that it was our first time and no one wanted to miss ANYTHING, so when they weren't riding they showed up at the KOA regardless of where they were staying.

Still, what can we take away from that first event and the success of the camraderie and socializing at the KOA, and transfer it to a more controlled setting, like a motel?

Easy location, for one.
Comfortable atmosphere for another.
Wide-open space and access for all.
MAKING it the center for announcements, ride routes (check-out/check-in), events, etc.
A good PA system.
A STARTING POINT each morning, with a keynote speaker (if only for a minute or two).
Making the meals happen there.
Etc.

People will naturally congregate at the nearest place at which they feel comfortable, unless something pushes/pulls them to go farther. THAT is what I think we should be focusing on. Some will stay at the HQ motel. Others will stay at other motels or will camp. We should be devising ways to DRAW them to HQ in order to centralize and maximize the socializing and the success of the event. Doing that, while walking the fine line of keeping this an UNRally is going to take a bit of craftsmanship. But we have faith in you.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#42762 - 10/14/05 09:28 PM Re: Scouting Report [Re: EffBee]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Tasker, I think you missed my point(s). The first point I made is that this is not about moving HQ to the KOA.

Nope, I didn't miss your points at all. You made it clear that if this thing isn't done your way, then you aren't coming! (Just kidding! Really! )

If the HQ location is to change, it would only be because it makes sense to the overall success of the UnRally, which is my one and only concern.

You can say what you want, but the success of UnOne was more than just dumb luck. It is amazing how many attendees are still talking about it, and it has become the measuring stick for all future UnRallies. You guys done good!

2016 R1200GS/WC
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike