BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#447904 - 02/22/09 03:36 PM Engine oil for R1200RT
Judspin Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Marietta, Georgia
I was lurking on another forum when this subject came up. Many, many different views on the correct oil to use. I was under the impression that since the transmission was a separate unit, that Automobile oil was the thing to use in the engine. How `bout some help for a new Beemer owner.

#447916 - 02/22/09 04:10 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: Judspin]
Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV Offline

Loc: Incline Village, NV
Whatever you do, use "Motorcycle Specific Oil" or take a big chance that BMW will void your engine warantee. DAMHIK!

#447928 - 02/22/09 05:18 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV]
Mister Tee Offline

Loc: Northern California
Dick Tahoe's recent unfortunate events notwithstanding, conventional wisdom says that the only real reason to use "motorcycle specific oils" is to avoid the anti-friction additives commonly found in automotive oils, which is said to be detrimental to wet clutches for bikes that have common engine/transmission units with internal wet clutches.

I am using, right now, a full synthetic Valvoline 20-50 intended for automotive applications in my RT and have been for the last 15,000 miles. I run full synthetic Motul 300V 10-40 in my gsxr, which has a wet clutch. Just for shits and giggles, I might try an automotive grade synthetic 10-40 in the gsxr one of these days just to see if I actually get clutch slippage.

#447930 - 02/22/09 05:22 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: Judspin]
markgoodrich Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Originally Posted By: Judspin
I was lurking on another forum when this subject came up. Many, many different views on the correct oil to use. I was under the impression that since the transmission was a separate unit, that Automobile oil was the thing to use in the engine. How `bout some help for a new Beemer owner.

Read your owner's manual. It will tell you exactly what you can use.

#447933 - 02/22/09 05:39 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: Mister Tee]
Selden Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Mister_Tee
I run full synthetic Motul 300V 10-40 in my gsxr, which has a wet clutch. Just for shits and giggles, I might try an automotive grade synthetic 10-40 in the gsxr one of these days just to see if I actually get clutch slippage.

Been there/done that: once the plates of a wet clutch have been contaminated with friction modifiers, they don't recover; you have to replace the clutch.

#447947 - 02/22/09 06:22 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: markgoodrich]
Judspin Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Marietta, Georgia
[te]

Read your owner's manual. It will tell you exactly what you can use. [/quote]

From the manual..."Engine oils of the API classification SF or better. Engine oils of the ACEA classification of A2 or better.BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic for the first 6000miles, etc,etc. Doesn`t say jack about motorcycle specific or automobile oil....still in the dark, but thanks for the suggestion.

#447948 - 02/22/09 06:22 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: Judspin]
JayW Offline

Loc: Western NC
...since the transmission was a separate unit, that Automobile oil was the thing to use in the engine...

Though one could make an argument that automotive oil will work just fine in such an application (and it probably does), that does not necessarily mean that it is preferred. I still favor going with a motorcycle-specific oil of the visosity recommended in the owners manual, which is what I do in my own RT. With a dry clutch and separate transmission, I don't think it is a big deal either way as long as you change it regularly.

Jay

#447959 - 02/22/09 06:40 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: JayW]
RT Fan Offline

Loc: Dubuque, Iowa
I have 5 quarts of 10w60 left over from my Moto Guzzi. BMW calls for 10w50 for my RT. Would the 10w60 do any harm to my RT?
2006 Goldwing (gone)

#447977 - 02/22/09 07:33 PM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: Judspin]
markgoodrich Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
[te]

Read your owner's manual. It will tell you exactly what you can use.

From the manual..."Engine oils of the API classification SF or better. Engine oils of the ACEA classification of A2 or better.BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic for the first 6000miles, etc,etc. Doesn`t say jack about motorcycle specific or automobile oil....still in the dark, but thanks for the suggestion. [/quote]

Doesn't say jack about motorcycle specific oil because you don't need it, because ANY oil that meets SF, SG, SH, SJ, or SM (is there an SM yet) will work just exactly fine in your engine. Automotive oils...all of them on the shelf at your favorite retailer, will almost certainly meet SJ or better (SF has been obsolete for decades). Quit worrying about it, use an oil that meets the API SF spec (anything with a letter later in the alphabet than "F" does so, as all API-spec oils are backwards compatible.

If your bike has a catalytic converter, use of "motorcycle" oil, which is simply oil which meets only the SG/SH API spec, with (slightly) higher levels of the antiwear additive ZDDP, will shorten the life of your very expensive catalytic converter, meanwhile, the "auto" oils mentioned above, which are really "motor" oils won't hurt your cat, and will protect your engine just fine.

Don't worry, be happy, the manual actually does tell you exactly what you can use. Your warranty will be intact, and your engine will be protected.

#448196 - 02/23/09 08:51 AM Re: Engine oil for R1200RT [Re: Judspin]
rglassma Offline

If your bike is in warranty or extended warranty, follow the oil specifications in your motorcycle manual (and be able to prove it with receipts, etc if you are doing your own changes).

If you are out of warranty, and think you know more then the manufacturer about their motorcycle, use whatever you think is best. I see there are some on this forum that do..

Your bike, your risk.. I'll stick with what the manufacturer recommends for the life of the engine myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >