Paul
07 1200 RT / IBA #24818 / BMW MOA #148578
My USA Map
#449268 - 02/26/09 09:48 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: psmitty]  
EdinLA44 Offline
EdinLA44  Offline

Sunny Southern California
Happy Anniv to a great site.

'02 R1150GS - blue & white '04 R1150RT - silver (sold) '73 R75/5 (sold)
#465994 - 04/16/09 06:22 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: EdinLA44]  
John Ryan Offline
Just Joined
John Ryan  Offline
Just Joined

New Jersey
I've just found this place, after wandering aimlessly around the internet for 15 years or so, and am looking forward to the discussions here.

Congratulations on the first ten tears!

Best regards,
John Ryan

#465996 - 04/16/09 06:33 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: John Ryan]  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
Originally Posted By: John Ryan
I've just found this place, after wandering aimlessly around the internet for 15 years or so, and am looking forward to the discussions here.

Congratulations on the first ten tears!

Best regards,
John Ryan

So John,

Fill out your profile and tell us a little about yourself (at least general location, what kind of riding you do, etc.).

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
#466063 - 04/16/09 10:01 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: John Ryan]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Hi John and welcome! wave

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#470616 - 04/29/09 09:27 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: KMG_365]  
Rallyrat Offline
Just Joined
Rallyrat  Offline
Just Joined

Denver, CO
OK, it's been so long since I've been here I can't even remember my old user name etc. I was really coming here a lot in 2000 and 2001-2. It was kind of new and I did learn a lot. Fish's posts were a hoot, is he still around?
I started sport-touring in 1979 on my Yamaha 650 with windshield and bags! Then I graduated to a 1980 BMW R100RT which I rode for 19 years! Bought a HUGE 1150 GS Adventure BMW in 2002. Had about 70K on it when I sold it in 2007. It just got too big for me to push around anymore. Got a 2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 now so I have come full circle!
Congrats on the 10th Anniversary!

Last edited by Rallyrat; 04/29/09 09:27 PM.

I have a Liberal Arts Degree, You want fries with that?
#470619 - 04/29/09 09:37 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: Rallyrat]  
Bheckel169 Offline
Bheckel169  Offline

Mill Spring, North Carolina
Welcome Rallyrat,
I also have a Kawi Versys and it's a real challenge to see what I'll be riding on any given day. I love my 1200R but that Versys is so darn fun!
Bruce

"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else"

07 Kawasaki Versys
#470625 - 04/29/09 09:46 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: Bheckel169]  
Rallyrat Offline
Just Joined
Rallyrat  Offline
Just Joined

Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Bheckel169
Welcome Rallyrat,
I also have a Kawi Versys and it's a real challenge to see what I'll be riding on any given day. I love my 1200R but that Versys is so darn fun!
Bruce

Yes Bruce, I've owned lots of bikes in my time and the Versys is the most fun of all, by far! I bought it when BMW quit making 650's and I was just going to keep this until the new Beemer 650's came out. But I think I'm going to have it a long time. Keep clean oil and a filter in it and thats about all your service expense.
It's a great handling, rev happy, great mpg motorcycle. Got bags on it too! I bought my first new Kawasaki in 1972 and the next one in 2008! HA!

Last edited by Rallyrat; 04/29/09 09:49 PM.

I have a Liberal Arts Degree, You want fries with that?
#471477 - 05/01/09 11:27 PM Re: We're Ten Years Old! [Re: Rallyrat]  
algover Offline
The Sensible Adventurer
algover  Offline
The Sensible Adventurer

Danville, Ca. US
Originally Posted By: Rallyrat
..... Fish's posts were a hoot, is he still around?

As I recall, Fish got him self banned a few years ago. Maybe some other old-timers can confirm or correct my aging memory. I also enjoyed some of his posts, but some were really way out. Finally, he engaged mouth (or keyboard) before engaging brain once too often.

Good to have you back.

Peter Alg�ver
Danville, Ca.
Blah Grey 2012 RT

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
#472506 - 05/05/09 02:37 AM A wee bit late with this.... [Re: Les is more]  
John_Hendriksen Offline
John_Hendriksen  Offline

Grass Valley, CA
A system of concepts worked out in steel, Pirsig said.

Drunk on the wind in my mouth,
Wringing the handlebar for speed,
Wild to be wreckage forever.
Says James Dickey.

I’d bought this 1150RT (thanks to Snod) , a new one, special edition with matching bags.

Wow.

10 years ago I barely knew what the internet was. Dial up, for crying out loud. As a new bike owner, I was pointed in the direction of a fledgling web presence (by Snod again? Can’t remember, but he was there). The thing was, I hadn’t brought the damn thing home yet - this paid for, but still at the dealer motorcycle. It was killing me. Finally….a day off and I can get the bike and it’s…..raining.

And so, I log in. “Does anybody ride in the rain?”, I asked. I have this bike to pick up and it’s raining and I want it desperately (almost embarrassingly). ”Should I ride it home in the rain?”, I asked. I posted on the internet – I started a what? A thread…a thread? On the internet? I’ll be laughed at, I was sure.
But I wasn’t.
The replies came fast and furious (relatively speaking). “Good God man, it’s an RT! “If you don’t ride in the rain, you don’t ride!” I also received marvelous advice on riding in the rain, on caution, on reaction times and new tires, on gear, and all the rest.
I rode it home, no longer a tenderfoot with riding in the rain or posting on a discussion board. I started posting more. I asked many questions about tires, brakes, throttle bodies and every bit of gear one can think of. I finally met Cary and count him still as a wonderful friend. To this day, I’ll bet Snod and I talk bikes at least once a month.

But it was the first UnRally in Gunnison that set, cemented really, a portion of my life for two wheels and a motor. You see, I had some ideas, a curiosity really, about the nature of riding and wanted to know more about that. It was this site had fueled that curiosity appreciably and I wanted to expand the little I understood.

I don’t know if it’s still around, but here’s a wee bit…

….. and I was completely taken by surprise by how deeply this activity has affected me. Garri Garripoli expresses’ it beautifully in the "Tao of The Ride", “…I know that when I ride, I face my ability to be “present” in the moment. Maybe it’s second nature by now, but I like to feel it for a second, sitting on the bike as it’s warming up, feeling how exposed I am, how sensitive the controls are, how close I am to the pavement. It wakes me up and brings to a place of sheer connection with everything about who I am, my mood, my fragility and my incredible sensory system that even allows me to ride this 600-pound beast. This is the Ride. That split second sensation that brings you into the present moment, a moment that goes by in a flash…yet is eternal. That’s what a bike does for me”.

But, does anyone else feel this? Who cares if they do? If I was going to find out, what better place to look, to inquire, than Gunnison. One thousand twelve hundred miles of peace between my home and Gunnison and when I get there I am going to find out what others feel! I’ve met them on the BBS, I’ve heard them speak of their trips and their problems and their triumphs. Got to be somebody who feels these things and we’ll share. Well…I never asked. Not once. But I found out.

I went over to the KOA Sunday and checked in, everybody seemed a little nervous, a little anxious, but it was probably just me. Dinner at Garlic Mikes that night with Snod and Jackie. The Chianti and the sound of the Gunnison River in the background calmed me a bit. Monday morning and Snod, Airtire and I decide to ride to Creede. Group riding, gulp…..hey, it’s only three of us – no sweat! About halfway to Creede we meet up with Hannabone, Mike Cortes, Pat Allaire and others and were greeted like long lost friends. Everyone takes off and I ride sweep, which seems to be a nice way of saying…last. I fell behind, I caught up, I watched, learned and my fears melted away. At lunch, I listened to others talk of the ride, the Rally and I started to find out.

Barbecue dinner Tuesday night with the Mennonite family, and as Fernando and others have explained so beautifully, it was an evening to feel proud and to feel thankful. A few of us finished quickly and wandered outside to chat in the marvelous evening air. As I listened to conversations among the more experienced riders, I heard words I had been thinking about……..smoothness, flow, letting go, awareness, seeing, focus, fear and…fun.

I found out….

I’ve met others, of course. Some, like me, don’t post much anymore. But, if they’re really like me, they check in to see what’s going one. But to those who keep this going, who have kept this going – Cary Littell, David Baker and Leslie Edmonds and the myriad of moderators who have kept rubber side of this site down – I thank and congratulate you.

John

Last edited by John_Hendriksen; 05/05/09 03:06 AM.
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15