Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#491256 - 06/25/09 11:17 PM Re: Nolan N103 [Re: rob1100r]  
PLW Offline
PLW  Offline

So. Cal.
I must be missing something. Unless you smoke or eat while you ride, I don't see much point to being able to open the front of your helmet. The consensus seems to be they are noisier, they're not Snell certified, and they are [negligibly] heavier. What's the point?
Just my .02.

#491271 - 06/26/09 12:01 AM Re: Nolan N103 [Re: lvnvbiker]  
rob1100r Offline
rob1100r  Offline

Warren County, NJ
Quote:
'The noise seems to be a trade off to be able to get a drink without taking of your lid.'

That, for me is one of the main things. On some rides you really only want to stop if you HAVE to (gas) at which point you 'relieve' yourself as well, but I don't want to stop for a sip! After a while you do get used to the noise, and yes I have earplugs I use sometimes, it's not all that bad, thus the trade off. As for no Snell certification, oh well, since I'm not racing on a track nobody is looking for that certification.

God Bless the Germans!
#491276 - 06/26/09 12:10 AM Re: Nolan N103 [Re: PLW]  
jjg3 Offline
jjg3  Offline

Alexandria, VA
Originally Posted By: PLW
What's the point?

After riding for 40 some years I like a snug helmet but not having my ears ripped every time I put the hat on or take it off (and it doesn't bend up my glasses). My daily hat is a Nolan N103, but I have a Jarow Mono, HJC SyMax, and Nolan N100 on the shelf. They may be a bit noisy, but don't we all wear earplugs anyway? And, in my opinion, based on the numbers you might see being worn, many get the point (some point, anyway).

But if I could find a 'very' quiet helmet that would keep the rain out on a daylong downpour, vent properly when it suppose to, and not when it's not suppose to, I'd consider it whether it were a full or mod.

they're not Snell certified

I think that's in their favor as well, of course that's also just my opinion.

John
pics
#491367 - 06/26/09 02:37 AM Re: Nolan N103 [Re: PLW]  
mneblett Offline
mneblett  Offline

Fairfax, VA
I must be missing something. Unless you smoke or eat while you ride, I don't see much point to being able to open the front of your helmet. The consensus seems to be they are noisier, they're not Snell certified, and they are [negligibly] heavier. What's the point?
Just my .02.

They have a lot of usefulness off the bike, as well -- very convenient to be able to open it up to hold conversations, to get a clearer view (particularly of something low which would be visually blocked by a fixed chinbar - for example, trying to look at a pocket on your jacket, where you only can bend your head down so far before the chinbar rests against your chest), get more air flow while at a standstill, easier to scratch an itch, etc.

A more subtle thing -- but one I've *definitely* observed to be true, is that opening up and revealing your face has a remarkable "disarming" effect on non-motorcyclists -- something about there being what amounts to a fear reaction to the "non-human machine" in a fullface (particularly with a tinted visor) that seems to melt away when a full human face appears.

$0.02 deposited!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
Page 2 of 2 1 2