IGNORED

IMPORTANT: Meal Option Survey

SAMSAR

UNrally VIII Dinner  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Everyone,

The Ye Olde UNrally Core Committee is requesting that you complete the following survey on meal options.

:clap:We have recently jumped over the 100+ mark on UNrally attendees!!! This means we now have the option of reasonably offering a traditional New England Clambake for the group dinner. The place we have selected is Foster's located on the coast of Maine and, they will make the 3 hour trip to our own UN HQ for the event. This means that all the food is fresh off the boat! The menu includes lobster... or chicken and eggplant alternatives.

The reason for the survey to everyone is that it would cost an additional $15-$20 per person to pull this off. We want you to help us make this decision and would require an overwhelming majority to make the budget work.

So, what do you think about a New England Clambake?

Hi BarNone,

Yes... there is no multiple vote option for the couples, unless they had their own Avatar name for the board which they could sign in with.

It's OK though as it is really only an indication and we wanted it to be a private ballot. Should there be too many "No" responses, then we will stick with a more traditional menu. Either way, the food will be great! :grin:

I think the clambake would be great and obviously voted "yes". Hey, I'll even pay the twenty bucks in $US :grin:.

Hopefully we'll get a critical mass to make this a go. If not, it will still be fun.

Edited by marcopolo

Note: Even if the Clambake is chosen, there will be non-seafood plates available (chicken or vegetarian), they are part of the package.

Note: Even if the Clambake is chosen, there will be non-seafood plates available (chicken or vegetarian), they are part of the package.

Same for the BBQ option?

Need to specify ahead of time? (Some years we have had to.)

Paul,

Can you describe the "included BBQ" and the clam bake in a little more detail?

Is the BBQ like meats on a grill, with a buffet of sides, or is it like sliced beef in BBQ sauce with a buffet of sides? What would the menu options for the BBQ be? What sides?

On the Clambake, for those of us that don't really know what this is, me for instance, it looks like meats on a grill with a seafood option added, or emphasized.

Are we missing something inherent in the description, or is it fair to characterize the main distinction between these two options as no seafood, and includes seafood?

I appreciate the efforts you are going to. This is gonna be a great UN! Can't believe we broke 100!

Thanks,

Edit: Just to be clear, we aren't big seafood eaters, so what I'm looking for is any other redeeming value to the Clambake.

Edited by Twisties

Hi Twisties,

All great questions... I'm responding on my iphone so i may be brief.

The clambake menu is "linked" in my inital post. It is a seafood dominate menu with lobster clams mussels chowder... For those who are not fans of seafood, they also offer a bbq chicken or eggplant option. The fosters link shows how the food is prepared onsite in custom made giant steamers. I expect this meal to be very good all the way around and something unique to this UN that would be remembered.

If we don't go with the clambake, the campground will cater a bbq with ribs chicken hamburgers hot dogs and a couple sides and desert. I don't have the menu on hand but Woodie could expand on this for me. I expect this meal to be good but more on the standard side..., not going to write

home about it but boy was the ride up Mt Washington fantastic kinda thing.

Woodie and Spyder. Anything to add as i may not be helping a very good question.

Same for the BBQ option?

Need to specify ahead of time? (Some years we have had to.)

Hi Ken

Yes, we will want to get some sense as what everyone will want. So we know what to order.

I want to sort out the clambake option first although early poll results show that it doesn't make sense. Let me give it the week to see if the scales tip a lot more towards yes.

Cheers!

Ken: (non-bbq options) I don't know. Yet.

Twisties: Comparative menus

BBQ:

Pork Ribs 1 rack

Chicken Breast 1 breast

Potato Salad 6 oz

Rolls 1 Roll

Dessert 1 slice

Soda/Water 1 each

Clambake:

Clam chowder (New England style of course!)

Steamed clams/mussels

Lobster or 1/2 BBQ chicken or vegetarian plate

Corn on the cob

Red potatoes

Onions

Blueberry Crumb Cake

I will tell you that Fosters comes highly recommended, is very well known, and catering IS their business. Think of it like a Hawaiian luau...it's not just the food, it's the fire pit, the 1/2 day of cooking it, etc. Not your typical BBQ.

Good point on verifying the BBQ.....

A "traditional" BBQ is a whole different ballgame depending on which corner of the country you are in. A southern BBQ ain't a Texas BBQ, and neither can be compared to anything north of the Mason-Dixon. Hell, some people around here say they are having BBQ and when you show up they hand you a sloppy joe. Sometimes it be just down right discraceful :grin:

FWIW.....I voted NO yesterday, but as soon as I saw the word steamed mussels this morning my mouth started watering.

I'm not saying there are too many men in the kitchen :grin:

But, I am getting hungry just reading this thread.

$1.00 says we'll be playing with the shells, claws, etc

Thanks for the info. I'm not gonna vote. I'll go with whatever choice the group makes. I wouldn't touch the clams/mussels or clam chowder, but can find an entree I can eat either way. I might even brave the lobster.... :eek: ... if it goes that way.

Appreciate all the work and bringing us the choice.

$1.00 says we'll be playing with the shells, claws, etc

That's a sucker bet if you saw the pictures of the last dinner with Jacqueline and Richard....

I think the hush puppy catapult worked pretty well!

Hi Paul!

Count both myself and Georgi in. I called to make sure that there was enough offered on the menu without wheat, so Georgi can actually eat with us. Sounds great!

Mussels, clams, lobster, MMMM! We will go with the seafood!!

Edited by mikeR1100R
I think the clambake would be great and obviously voted "yes". Hey, I'll even pay the twenty bucks in $US :grin:.

Is there still a difference? :P

And for the record, 15-20 bucks for a professionally catered NE Clambake is an outstanding price! I took my daughter out to dinner last night for just a 1.25 lb lobster with a veg and fries and the price was $26 each!

Is there still a difference? :P

Yup, a little. I think the Cdn dollar has been hovering around 90 cents U.S. as of late.

And for the record, 15-20 bucks for a professionally catered NE Clambake is an outstanding price! I took my daughter out to dinner last night for just a 1.25 lb lobster with a veg and fries and the price was $26 each!

Keep in mind this is on top of the $$ we've already paid. I'm not bitchin', just sayin'.

Agreed. The deal is actually $40/person which includes everything for a catered event. Still a good price but is the reason we would need the extra funds.

for both food reason's and cost reasons, I voted for the traditional meal, but I agree for a 3 hour one way delivery, on-site catering, and local food offering, 40.00 per person is very reasonable. I know in Atlanta, with even limited travel any good catering event runs 30 - 40 per person. Let alone adding in over 6 hours of travel time for XXX number of people, gas, vehicle's etc.

RichEdwards

Oh, yes! for the clambake. One of the worst things about leaving the NE and living in FL is the lack of good seafood places. But there are bbq joints all over the place. From the Un I'll be heading up to Maine for a good lobster dinner.

Nice n Easy Rider
Hate to be picky but what about Italian? :grin:

Just open a good bottle of chianti, pour some into jelly glasses and enjoy it with your friends while dipping those clams into some real garlic butter. How much more Italian could you want? :grin:

at 75% voting yes it seems like a go. However, that only represents about 1/2 the attendees. Without more folks registering their vote, I will make for a tough decision. Get out (or on) and vote!

Speaking as a Californian who has never yet (and likely would otherwise never) experience a real "New England Clam Bake" I'm "IN!!!" . . . even for twice the price! It may be old hat to youse guys, but personally I'm looking forward to the "cultural experience" as much as the equally wonderful roads, scenery and company. :grin:

One of the very great things about moving the UnRally around every year is getting to experience the great diversity this country offers. I say: "Make it so!" :clap:

S

One of the very great things about moving the UnRally around every year is getting to experience the great diversity this country offers. I say: "Make it so!" :clap:

Which is why I say Alaska in 2010.... :grin:

MB>

Nice n Easy Rider
at 75% voting yes it seems like a go. However, that only represents about 1/2 the attendees. Without more folks registering their vote, I will make for a tough decision. Get out (or on) and vote!

Well, that's about the same percentage of people that vote in our national elections so if you don't get a lot more folks voting you shouldn't feel badly about the decision. (Of course, easy to say since my vote was for the currently-leading choice :grin:)

Bill in Vermont

Paul- I will be attending with two others, Rob Eaton and Mike Allen. I just posted Rob as an attendee and Mike registered earlier. Mike needs to know how to pay the registration fee of $50 and will also pay for Rob. It is not obvious from this site on how to do these mundane things, so please send me an email to bluring@vermontel.net . Both Rob and Mike want a lobster. Thanks Bill Luring

Mike needs to know how to pay the registration fee of $50 and will also pay for Rob. It is not obvious from this site on how to do these mundane things, so please send me an email to bluring@vermontel.net.

Have you read the thread linked below; it explains how to pay the $50 (cheque, or Paypal)?

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=415830#Post415830

"We are requesting a check be written for the registration fee so that we may put the money towards the event rather than administrative fees. However, PayPal is also an option and the $50 can be transferred into SAMSAR's PayPal account at plsoucy@gmail.com. Checks should be mailed and made out to:

Paul L. Soucy

47 Talcott Range Dr.

East Granby, CT 06026

Memo: 2009 BMW UNrally"

Edited by marcopolo

Thanks Mark! It helps to bring this information to the front considering how long ago I made the original post.

Please keep the questions coming :thumbsup:

We should have a final decision on the meal survey soon!

Paul

S

MB>

I'm sure "the powers to be" that make that decision will keep you and your location in mind! If you are awarded the honor, you count me in to help YOU with the planning! :thumbsup:

S

MB>

I'm sure "the powers to be" that make that decision will keep you and your location in mind! If you are awarded the honor, you count me in to help YOU with the planning! :thumbsup:

I've heard talk that the 2010 MOA International is slated for Redmond Oregon again. Hmmmmm...Redmond to Fairbanks = 2435 miles.

;)

SURVEY SAYS!!!... We can make EVERYONE happy! :clap:

After a lot of number crunching, renegotiating, and watching the survey, we will be able to have the Foster's Lobster clambake without requiring everyone to buy in. However, it is based on at least 60 people wanting the lobster and up to 40 people wanting the chicken/vegetarian. Based on the survey results, we should be able to hit this ratio easy enough.

Here are the options:

1. The Chicken or Vegetarian option is included in the $50 registration fee

2. The Lobster/clams/mussels option is an extra $20/person

I will be sending out an email in a moment asking what each of you would like to order. Please give me your name(s) plus whether each of you would like Lobster, Chicken, or Vegetarian. This way we will know what to give the caterer for counts.

We are really glad we'll be able to make this happen and believe you will enjoy this little taste of a "downeast" tradition. Just a reminder that the caterer is Foster's and the menu is listed here.

NOTE: To make it easier on everyone, me included, we will collect any extra money at UNrally registration when you arrive.

Paul :)

Sounds great Paul!

You and the UN planning crew are doing a fabulous job! :clap:

Georgi and I are in for the lobsters! (I'll eat her mussels, clams, etc.) :grin:

No worries...

Avatar name combines my daughters' names: SAMantha & SARah

Reminder to everyone: Reply back to my email with your menu choice. I'm especially looking for those Lobsta' votes! :grin:

Cheers!

Paul

Speaking as a Californian who has never yet (and likely would otherwise never) experience a real "New England Clam Bake" I'm "IN!!!" . . . even for twice the price! It may be old hat to youse guys, but personally I'm looking forward to the "cultural experience" :grin:

Speaking for myself, who has experienced many New England clam bakes, I'd easily pay twice the price too! You're in for a real treat :clap:

Speaking as a Californian who has never yet (and likely would otherwise never) experience a real "New England Clam Bake" I'm "IN!!!" . . . even for twice the price! It may be old hat to youse guys, but personally I'm looking forward to the "cultural experience" :grin:

Speaking for myself, who has experienced many New England clam bakes, I'd easily pay twice the price too! You're in for a real treat :clap:

That said from a guy who goes "all in" on a deuce/seven unsuited. :rofl:

Yep, but Sykesville MD to Redmond is another 2690 miles - and that without side trips... :)

Ron & Paul...2k,3k,4k doesn't matter because they are Wow e Wow WOw WOW miles! :thumbsup: I say go for it!

As for the Meal Option... Job WELL done :clap::thumbsup:. I'm glad you are going to be able to make it work! I like when that happens.