BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#497181 - 07/12/09 10:47 AM Canadian insurance card?  
3Putt Offline
3Putt  Offline

Rockford, IL
I've read bits and pieces, here and there about needing a Canadian insurance card when riding in Canada. I called my State Farm agent and his assistant has no idea what I'm talking about. Then I went to AAA to get maps. I asked them about it and they're all over it. They tell me they issue them all the time, but say it's something that I probably won't get asked for.

Need it or don't need it?

From the U.S. State Departments Web site.
"Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada. For specific information concerning Canadian driving permits, mandatory insurance and entry regulations, please contact the Canadian National Tourist Organization (http://www.canada.travel/splash.en-us.html)"

Tom
Rockford, IL

"Miles Happen"
#497184 - 07/12/09 11:21 AM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: 3Putt]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
AAA was 100% correct. I called my insurer about 6 weeks before I left for Alaska, and they immediately knew what I was talking about (in fact, the woman on the phone said, "60th birthday, eh?"). The card arrived in the mail about a week later. That said, I was never asked for it during the entire trip, not even at a road block in western BC.

Here's another documentation suggestion for a long trip: make two photocopies of all important documentation (driver's license, registration, insurance cards, passport, etc.), put them in ziplock bags, and store in separate locations. Two sets of documentation are overkill, but they take up almost no space, and I can be pretty absent minded. If you take any prescription drugs, bring along photocopies of proof of Rx.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
#497218 - 07/12/09 02:01 PM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: 3Putt]  
SAMSAR Offline
SAMSAR  Offline

East Granby, CT
Hi 3Putt,

We do have one loop that goes into Canada. It takes about 35 minutes to cross in and then back out again. One very small town and straight roads on either end. Watch your speed and remember that signs are in kilometers. wink No requests for ID card going in or out during the recon, just my passport. These are definitely "minor" crossing points.

I think the passport, license, and "any" proof of insurance are the most important. Two years ago, I was stopped for having my Valentine V1 up and running (didn't know it was illegal at the time). I was ticketed and lost my radar detector but was never asked for a "canadian specific" insurance card.

Can't hurt to have an ID card made but I think you will be OK without it too... Just don't have an accident for the 30 minutes you are there. tongue

See you in a few weeks!

Paul

"SAMSAR"
'04 1150RT, Biarritz Blue
'06 to '09 Northeast Tech Daze
IBA #28554
73 KB1QZR
#497461 - 07/13/09 03:26 AM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: SAMSAR]  
Ron_B Offline
Raaaaan!
Ron_B  Offline
Raaaaan!

Grayslake Illinois
I always get one, in fact, my new one arrived last week. I've never been asked for it, but I've always been told that it is a requirement.

I did once have my pepper spray confiscated at the border. Perfectly reasonable I think, Canadian citizens sleep peacefully, knowing they won't be assaulted by crazy Americans with deadly aerosol weapons.

AMA Charter Life - BMWMOA - CRBMW - IBA - ChiTown Crew. R1200GS

"An adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

G. K. Chesterton
#497468 - 07/13/09 03:51 AM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: 3Putt]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Technically the Canadian specific endorsement/writer is mandatory. US vehicle insurance is not valid in Canada. It is actually anouther country after all. And technically the RCMP could not allow you continue if requested and you are unable to prove you have Canadian insurance.

Now that being said, I have never heard of it actually happening, but then were fairly new here.

But its a simple thing, why risk it? Call your company and have them issue one. Usually for less than 30 days its free.

Tom, if your agent isn't famliar with this, call the company directly. They most certianly are.

Last edited by Ken H.; 07/13/09 03:56 AM.

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#497469 - 07/13/09 03:52 AM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: Selden]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Originally Posted By: Selden
If you take any prescription drugs, bring along photocopies of proof of Rx.

Yup, that's an important one too.

Ken & Donna H.

#497470 - 07/13/09 03:54 AM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: SAMSAR]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Originally Posted By: SAMSAR
Just don't have an accident for the 30 minutes you are there.

Some of the US group will be in Canada considerably longer as they are join up with the northern PPR the week before the UN.

Ken & Donna H.

#497503 - 07/13/09 10:05 AM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: Ken H.]  
3Putt Offline
3Putt  Offline

Rockford, IL
Thanks guys. I'll get to work on it.

Tom
Rockford, IL

"Miles Happen"
#497580 - 07/13/09 02:59 PM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: Ken H.]  
SAMSAR Offline
SAMSAR  Offline

East Granby, CT
Far better suggestion to get your Canadian Proof of Insurance Card. Thanks everyone!

By the way... I use Progressive (thru USAA) for my motorcycle insurance and figured I might be able to go online right now to get my Canadian ID card. Isn't possible to do online and you have to call their service center. They also have to process and mail it out to you which can take 7-10 days.

I imagine other companies and independent agencies are in the same boat.

Paul

"SAMSAR"
'04 1150RT, Biarritz Blue
'06 to '09 Northeast Tech Daze
IBA #28554
73 KB1QZR
#498029 - 07/14/09 07:55 PM Re: Canadian insurance card? [Re: 3Putt]  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
Originally Posted By: 3Putt
I've read bits and pieces, here and there about needing a Canadian insurance card when riding in Canada. I called my State Farm agent and his assistant has no idea what I'm talking about. Then I went to AAA to get maps. I asked them about it and they're all over it. They tell me they issue them all the time, but say it's something that I probably won't get asked for.

Need it or don't need it?

From the U.S. State Departments Web site.
"Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada. For specific information concerning Canadian driving permits, mandatory insurance and entry regulations, please contact the Canadian National Tourist Organization (http://www.canada.travel/splash.en-us.html)"

I checked with my insurance (Allstate) agent and she said they hadn't issued Canadian insurance cards for several years. So, not totally convinced, I emailed Allstate's corporate offices and got back this response:

"Thank you for contacting the Allstate Customer Care Site where you are always in Good Hands. Our guidelines indicate that the current Insurance ID card issued by Allstate USA meets all legislation requirements in Canada. Therefore, temporary insurance ID cards are not necessary for customers temporarily traveling to Canada. If you would like duplicate ID cards, please let us know and we will request them for you."

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3