BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#504797 - 08/02/09 02:27 AM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
JMR Offline
JMR  Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
Took some Honda spray polish to the windscreen tonight.

No, no, NO!! That's not THE Honda spray polish. Honda dropped THE spray polish in 2008 for a different formula for reasons that don't matter...point is they dropped THE spray polish that riders used to buy by the case. THE spray polish was wonderful stuff! Week-old baked on bugs hard as cement would soften to goo and wipe right off. THE spray polish would polish and shine painted clear-coated surfaces, windscrens, helmets, shields, made plastics look like Armor All had been used, cleaned tire rims, cleaned tires, cleaned everything and very, very well! And in 2008 it was gone. frown
The origional manufacturer has brought it back under their name (Origional Bike Spirits) and I ordered 4 cans from Competition Accessories just this morning (it's on sale). I've tried the Honda Pro(new)stuff and it's just not got the ju-ju like THE spray polish (the old stuff).
Here's a link to some reviews on kneedraggers, heck...just Google "Origional Spray Cleaner and Polish reviews" and see 'em all. I can clean my 12RT, tires and all, really shiney too, in 35-45 minutes without a drop of water. Actually, I've not used a drop of water to clean any of my bikes for the last seven years, just THE spray polish.
On a group ride, (I never go on a trip without it) somebody will ask to borrow to clean a windshield, next thing I know it's been passed around and two or three bikes have been cleaned (plus windshields) and my can of THE spray polish comes back empty. You don't have to wait-out and chase down water spots, 'cause there ain't no water used.
I've used this stuff (THE spray polish) a long time...I guess you can tell I'm glad THE original good stuff is back. Try some, you might like it half as much as I do. You've got that dark blue color, it works great with darker colors. I'd probably brush my teeth with it if it came in mint.
BTW, I'm in the masonry business...no ties to the product in any way...even though after re-reading my post it sounds like a Billy Mays commercial script.

#505001 - 08/02/09 07:52 PM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: JMR]  
Jake Offline
Madcap
Jake  Offline
Madcap

South Florida
Originally Posted By: JMR

No, no, NO!! That's not THE Honda spray polish.

As much as Mitch typically cleaned his bikes, I'm betting his Honda spray cheese was direct from a vintage can that had the original formula. I still have plenty of the old stuff lying around and it still sprays. Thanks for the link tho, glad to see it's still available.

'76 R90/6
'04 ST4S
#505019 - 08/02/09 09:04 PM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: Jake]  
Skywagon Offline
Skywagon  Offline

Bellaire Texas
Been using this stuff on my airplane and motorcycle for 10 years or more...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/rejex/

David
RT WET
#505036 - 08/02/09 10:52 PM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: JMR]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted By: JMR

No, no, NO!! That's not THE Honda spray polish. Honda dropped THE spray polish in 2008 for a different formula for reasons that don't matter...point is they dropped THE spray polish that riders used to buy by the case. THE spray polish was wonderful stuff! Week-old baked on bugs hard as cement would soften to goo and wipe right off. THE spray polish would polish and shine painted clear-coated surfaces, windscrens, helmets, shields, made plastics look like Armor All had been used, cleaned tire rims, cleaned tires, cleaned everything and very, very well! And in 2008 it was gone. frown
The origional manufacturer has brought it back under their name (Origional Bike Spirits) and I ordered 4 cans from Competition Accessories just this morning (it's on sale). I've tried the Honda Pro(new)stuff and it's just not got the ju-ju like THE spray polish (the old stuff).
Here's a link to some reviews on kneedraggers, heck...just Google "Origional Spray Cleaner and Polish reviews" and see 'em all. I can clean my 12RT, tires and all, really shiney too, in 35-45 minutes without a drop of water. Actually, I've not used a drop of water to clean any of my bikes for the last seven years, just THE spray polish.
On a group ride, (I never go on a trip without it) somebody will ask to borrow to clean a windshield, next thing I know it's been passed around and two or three bikes have been cleaned (plus windshields) and my can of THE spray polish comes back empty. You don't have to wait-out and chase down water spots, 'cause there ain't no water used.
I've used this stuff (THE spray polish) a long time...I guess you can tell I'm glad THE original good stuff is back. Try some, you might like it half as much as I do. You've got that dark blue color, it works great with darker colors. I'd probably brush my teeth with it if it came in mint.
BTW, I'm in the masonry business...no ties to the product in any way...even though after re-reading my post it sounds like a Billy Mays commercial script.

100% correct !! I have been a huge fan of Honda Spary Polish since introduced in the early 90's. YES ... they did change the formula about 1-2 years ago. The simple way to tell of you have Old or New formula is when they changed the formula they also inconspicuously reduced the can size from 14 oz. to 12 oz. The cans are the same size on the outsize. But the Original Bike Spirits guys were at The Honda Hoot (RIP) last year and being about the most anal person I know I spent about 20 minutes chatting with them. Their stuff really IS the original stuff. And if you look hard you can find it in neat travel size cans as well. When at Americade this summer I spotted the small cans in the Honda Dealer in Queensbury, NY and picked up 8 cans!! The Stuff it great. Works great on most any part of the bike. Helping my bike stay "Q-tip" clean. And yes in by "bike ditty kit" there are 3 size Q-tips!

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#505105 - 08/03/09 04:33 AM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: Jake]  
JMR Offline
JMR  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake

As much as Mitch typically cleaned his bikes, I'm betting his Honda spray cheese was direct from a vintage can that had the original formula.

Ahem.... made an assumption, didn't I? Well, sorry 'bout that if that was a vintage can you had there Mitch...my batting average with my making assumptions is pretty bad.
Glad to hear about the smaller travel size cans, I'll carry one of those just for the borrowers who always empty my big can!

And I'll 'fess up here about the "not used water in seven years" comment I made....I remembered (after posting) that I did use water one time about three years ago. After myself and two other bikes went up a long and winding mtn pass on a rainy day that had just been traveled by a loaded livestock truck who apparently hadn't washed out his trailer for months...but the rain sure washed it out and the wet road surface kept it fresh. We HAD to use water, right away and lots of it once we found some (hours later). The hose-down included our road pants and jackets too. Phew.

....sorry about the unintentional fib.

#505229 - 08/03/09 04:49 PM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: JMR]  
Darin Bell Offline
Newer Member
Darin Bell  Offline
Newer Member

Mission Viejo, CA.
I use a bucket of hot water and plain old dish soap with a soft washing mit. I use the air compressor to blow the water out of the hard to reach places and dry the rest of the bike with a chamois.

After it's dry, I spray down the bike with Plexus and use those yellow soft micro fiber cloths that Costco sells and polish it up. I wash the bike about every 3 weeks. I keep a cover on it at work so it stays pretty clean.

#505463 - 08/04/09 03:44 AM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: Tapatio]  
JayW Offline
JayW  Offline

Western NC
Originally Posted By: Tapatio

5) I hate cleaning the front rim, no tricks found yet other than jacking the front wheel off the ground so you can spin it.

There is no need to jack it up. With the bike its centerstand, you can easily rotate the front wheel, especially if the surface is still wet. Just stand in front of the bike, grab a spoke and pull up. This approach rotates the wheel in reverse to avoid the risk of pulling the bike off the center stand. It is weighted so little, that very minimial effort is needed to rotate it 180 degrees in order to clean the other half of the wheel.

Jay

#531208 - 10/18/09 04:58 AM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: JayW]  
longjohn Offline
longjohn  Offline

lax
The first time I washed my RT I sprayed it down with very low pressure from the hose and let it soak, then used a bucket of soapy water, then dried it with syn chamois, then took it on the street for a few blocks to blow-dry it. I thought it was good to go. But the next morning I went to start it to go to work and it cranked very s l o w l y, and wouldn't start. I checked the switches, the radio, the on off switch, the heat switches, and the warning flasher, and then I hesitantly tried cranking it again. Thankfully it turned over, and hasnt' exhibited that problem since. The service advisor at LB nodded his head when I mentioned this to him and said that it's not that uncommon. Some water apparently gets where is shouldn't be and creates a short that will continue until it evaporates. Anyone ever had this happen to them?

John

2005 R1200RT 3.8k 31k 71k and rising
1990 PC 800 (dead) 100+k
1979 Yamaha XS750F (sold) 79k
Large avatar

#531211 - 10/18/09 05:20 AM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: longjohn]  
CoarsegoldKid Offline
CoarsegoldKid  Offline

Coarsegold, Ca, USA
no

Joe

'05 R1200RT 109K miles, takes me down the highway.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R 22K
'18 KTM 350 EXC-F
#531258 - 10/18/09 01:37 PM Re: R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing? [Re: CoarsegoldKid]  
marcopolo Offline
marcopolo  Offline

Alexandria, VA/Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted By: CoarsegoldKid
no

Me neither.

Mark
2015 R 1200 GS Adventure
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6