Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
#513302 - 08/26/09 09:51 PM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: Ken H.]  
JustJean Offline
JustJean  Offline

Doyline,La U.S.A.
I must be a left brained person because I literally took no stops as no stops and told David follow Ken I'm stopping! thumbsup

Kudo's to Jan and Michael for the route planning and hotel picks, and aren't you glad you experienced the trains in Detroit Lakes!! rofl

The host homes were exceptional. clap

BMW F700GS (on wish list)

Life is short have fun while you can!

JustJean
#513372 - 08/27/09 12:15 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: KMG_365]  
dhanson Offline
dhanson  Offline

Doyline, Louisiana
I know Jan and Michael did route planning, and they did a heck of a job by the way. But everyday we had a meeting either before or after leaving (on the radio) so we all were on the same page sorta, and that was Jamie's roll.

Some people might not know, but Jan has no GPS and doesn't need one, he has an atlas and most of the route for the day or more memorized. That to me is a pretty good advantage, as us GPS users really have no clue where this woman is trying to take us or why.

It was really great approaching the hosts, as I knew the routes were local picks and GOOD. The receptions from the hosts was special also!! thanks a bunch.

Last edited by dhanson; 08/27/09 12:18 AM.

14 KTM 1190 Adv

#513390 - 08/27/09 01:04 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: dhanson]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
Originally Posted By: dhanson
I know Jan and Michael did route planning, and they did a heck of a job by the way. But everyday we had a meeting either before or after leaving (on the radio) so we all were on the same page sorta, and that was Jamie's roll.

Some people might not know, but Jan has no GPS and doesn't need one, he has an atlas and most of the route for the day or more memorized. That to me is a pretty good advantage, as us GPS users really have no clue where this woman is trying to take us or why.

It was really great approaching the hosts, as I knew the routes were local picks and GOOD. The receptions from the hosts was special also!! thanks a bunch.

I can tell ya how to get to Torrey! :-)

Jan

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook
#513391 - 08/27/09 01:05 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: KMG_365]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
Good post Jamie.

Thanks

Jan

#513426 - 08/27/09 02:43 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: KMG_365]  
Bullett Offline
Bullett  Offline

Brookings, OR
Originally Posted By: KMG_365
Originally Posted By: BarOne
Actually, I don't recall the phrase "non-stop" being mentioned. I do recall that the group that went out first was referred to as the "express" group which I incorrectly interpreted to mean "brisk or peppy". Had I known that translated to "no bathroom break" or "fill the camelback back up rather than stop" I would have worn my Depends, which, Kelly smirked, I should probably include in the ATGATT list.
rofl

To be fair, I am to blame for not communicating clearly and assuming everyone would have the same interpretation of ambiguous terms like "Express bus" or "we're not stopping". grin

Leslie and I may ride faster on our own bikes, but on one bike loaded down with gear for traveling cross-country, having the responsibility of bearing the Queen safely to the UnRally on unfamiliar roads and in the rain . . . I admittedly dialed it back a bit.

But there is a valuable lesson here and it's one that I thought I had learned many years ago: the importance of the pre-ride "rider meeting". As the leader of my group I failed in that and I take full responsibility. When the departure from Steve and Kelly's got bumped up 15 minutes due to the rain starting I was not as prepared as the rest and we had no time to meet before departing. Then when the restaurant got crowded and the one waitress was trying desperately to keep her head above water as my table was last to be served I tried to put my table's bill on one check to speed things up. She had already divided everything up so it took every bit as long and it meant that everyone else was already out in the rain waiting on ME or had already gassed up down the street waiting on me again with helmets on--and again no meeting. Two of our group had no radios so they could not follow the conversation over the air. It's unfair to them NOT to let them know what's going on and it's unsafe to just leave them hanging wondering WTF is going on when one or more of the folks with radios change the initial plan on the fly. IMHO, one (in this case I, as ride leader) has an obligation to stop the group and fill them in on the change of plans. Some of us had not ridden together before and we had different ranges with respect to gas tank and bladder capacity. This is no one's fault--but it must be recognized and addressed ahead of time in the rider meeting to avoid problems (I did not do that). True, some of us were perhaps not being honest with ourselves about our preferences/needs/limitations and a group relies on its members' candor to get down the road in a timely fashion while having fun doing it.

One of the advantages of testing oneself against the Iron Butt Association's benchmarks is in refining one's riding style, stretching one's range/comfort zone and knowing one's limits. I could no more "hang" with "Eebie" doing the "Iron Butt Rally" (11,000+ miles in 11 days) than some others could "hang" with Leslie and I doing a 50CC (Coast-to-coast in <50 hours). I barely managed to complete the Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) ride--my two riding buddies carried me and it kicked my ass. The key is in knowing where along that very broad "Sport Touring" continuum your personal comfort and riding style lies. "Are we talking about a 'Bun Burner Gold' pace or a 'Saddle Sore 1000' pace or just a 'smell the roses pace' so I can plan appropriately"? grin

I've noticed that geography plays a significant part in the "default" one chooses to measure a ride. In the West you frequently need to cross a thousand miles or more just to get to somewhere else fun to ride. You can also get there fairly fast if you limit your stop time and handle as many details en route as possible. Bike-to-bike radios make this an incredibly efficient way to move a group down the road and I see now why ArizonaAl carries so many spare parts on group rides--even if you can only monitor the conversation--you're not left out in the cold. I was hooked on radios my first group ride with some of the founding members of this Forum and I can't look back. Whereas in the East, it seems to me you can't usually get as far as fast so the "default" of what is considered a "long ride" is a bit shorter.

I don't want anyone feeling bad about the group ride we had--it came off incredibly well considering the disparate group we cobbled together for that last leg. For the K-bike riders: you have a right to be concerned about gas range when riding with fuel tankers like the 1200RT's--hell, even I was the weak link on the way out with my puny 1150RT and it's 37 mpg loaded down in the wind. Know your needs and communicate them ahead of time--if it's no fun for you, why do it? For the pillions: you frequently have a harder job riding on the back--and don't let your pilot tell you otherwise until they've ridden back there for a day themselves! tongue

This gives me a good idea for a post to have riders attempt to accurately describe or somehow quantify their riding style for hooking up with compatible riders they've never ridden with before at a gathering or doing a Pied Piper Run in the future. Hmmm, I'm going to have to give that one some thought! thumbsup

Anyway, Leslie and I had a GREAT time! I apologize for contributing any stress to the group in any way (but I was admittedly a bit "barn sour" myself towards the end) and I don't want anyone to feel like they were "the culprit" in any "who done it" scenario. It's no easy feat taking a very diverse group of a dozen or so bikes--a few of them two-up--and getting them down the road together safely over wet, foreign roads. We had no serious problems and everyone arrived safely at the UnRally--which is, AFAIC, the "Prime Directive" for such rides. Besides, if Jan hadn't needed to stop to feed his blood sugar demons, we would have missed seeing Tom "3Putt" and Joyce in Montpelier, VT! Since they had to cancel from the Pied Piper Run, that was one of the highlights of the day for me! thumbsup

I need to take this opportunity to again thank Paul "rocer" and Kath as well as Steve "BarNone" and Kelly for their UNBELIEVEABLE hospitality on our Pied Piper Run! There'll be no Pied Piper Run for Leslie and me next year as "Un IX" is only a "day's ride" from the house . . . grin . . . but keep a look out in 2011 for another group of crazy riders hooning through your neck of the woods! cool

I was willing to stop with Jan because I thought we were going for Thai food. . . instead I got lousy Chinese buffet. tongue I should have known. dopeslap

Quote:
Part of the Pied Piper experience is realizing that one will be riding with both the stop and smell the roses as well as the tank to tank riders and all showing some tolerance. This Pied Piper run went extremely smoothly. The roughest spots were actually quite humorous (GPS Madness day, and turtle wacking hare day grin )
Also, everyone just praying my radio would quit as the insufficient ground isolation on the PTT circuit made my transmissions loud and distorted. To the point of actually being told to shut up... Only to be asked for info later grin dopeslap

All in all, I wouldn't have traded a moment for anything else....... welllll... except for that moment in Yellowstone where my front tire was plowing through the mud/gravel of the road construction without an ounce of grip..........

It was fun riding with you Michael; even with the radio that made me want to "keel" you for talking. grin

My only regret is that I unplugged my sound and missed the radio com's about David hitting the sk---, um, I mean, the "turtle wacking hare." rofl

Sharon

07 BMW R1200RT
59 BMW R26
12 Yamaha Super Tenere (for sale)

Apparently, a girl can have too many motorcycles! tongue
#513506 - 08/27/09 11:41 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: Bullett]  
dhanson Offline
dhanson  Offline

Doyline, Louisiana
I enjoyed riding with Michael also, until he talked then I cringed like a turtle pulling his head back in the shell.

That was no skunk!

14 KTM 1190 Adv

#513782 - 08/28/09 01:47 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: dhanson]  
Ron_B Offline
Raaaaan!
Ron_B  Offline
Raaaaan!

Grayslake Illinois
Geeez, is this the check in thread???

OK, it says "UN - Check in!" at the top.

Just got in at 8:36 CST.

Tired. Soaked. HaPpY! grin

AMA Charter Life - BMWMOA - CRBMW - IBA - ChiTown Crew. R1200GS

"An adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

G. K. Chesterton
#513793 - 08/28/09 02:09 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: dhanson]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
Originally Posted By: dhanson
I enjoyed riding with Michael also, until he talked then I cringed like a turtle pulling his head back in the shell.

That was no skunk!

Skunk Whacker, Jeez how did I leave that out of the ride tale?

Jan

#515429 - 09/01/09 02:09 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: Ron_B]  
Endobobdds Offline
Endobobdds  Offline

Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Ron_B
Geeez, is this the check in thread???

OK, it says "UN - Check in!" at the top.

Just got in at 8:36 CST.

Tired. Soaked. HaPpY! grin

So Ron_B is home late on 8/27/09. So are there any of the other Unrally 09 participants still out there?

With respect to the issues raised with the near hijack of this thread: I love to ride from fillup to fillup, however, if I ever get the chance to ride with Jamie again I will plan on having an auxillary gas tank on my KRS! grin

Bob Smyth
K1200RS ('02 Black)
email: endobobdds@gmail.com
#515440 - 09/01/09 02:34 AM Re: UN - Check in! [Re: Endobobdds]  
enfoman Offline
enfoman  Offline

Albany area- NY
Oh oh. My C is in trouble now!LOL

Enfoman
Chromeheads.org Moderator
BMW MOV DIRECTOR (emetrius)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/voicechoice