BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#515297 - 08/31/09 09:43 PM Re: OK. Stupid Question. What is an Unrally? [Re: Ken H.]  
Matts_12GS Offline
Matts_12GS  Offline

Enfield, CT
Originally Posted By: Ken H.
It is a 100% volunteer effort; each year’s team is free to make the event whatever they wish. So no two are ever the same!

This is one of the things I found most appealing this year...

Paul and crew did a real down home New England thing for those of us who've not been there. Fulfilled our stereotypes of clam bakes and moose and gave us lots to talk about. They were great hosts and real ambassadors of the area they call home.

Matt

2005 1200GS (Traveller)
IBA 37694

" ...if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? " --Ronald Reagan
#517669 - 09/08/09 01:59 AM Re: OK. Stupid Question. What is an Unrally? [Re: Matts_12GS]  
Angel Offline
Angel  Offline

Fort Worth TX
I went to the UN in WV a few years ago. IMHO, it was well worth the trip if only to put faces with names or handles (and avatars).

Had it not been for wanting to experience at least one MOA (just cuz), I prolly would have gone to NH. Not that I didn't enjoy the MOA... but that is really, what it is...a huge buttload of people. (good thing nearly all of them ride relatively quiet bikes). Just the thought of thousands of bikes with loud pipes...makes my head want to start hurting eek

Despite the thousands at the MOA, I still managed to meet and spend time with some of the fellow board members that were also present at the MOA (you know who you are). Good times, hearing the stories of epic journeys over some darkstar porter... made my 1st MOA experience that much more enjoyable.

Having experienced both, I can say that they are not even close to being comparable. Night and day, apples and oranges, (you get the idea).

At my first (and only) UN. I met a bunch of folks that were there to see their friends and meet new ones. It really didn't matter much that I didn't know many people by the end, I had new friends and countless "if you are ever in my neck of the woods invitations". Thats cool.

At the MOA, SOoo many people... sure, I met some folks but I can't say that I walked away with new friends...
All of this to say that, I missed seeing/hanging out and meeting many more new friends. dopeslap
I heard the rumor about the next UN in the sierras.... I'm juiced! I can't wait. Don't think I'm gonna miss that one!

Angel Ilarraza
2005 R1200RT
2013 K1600GT
#517683 - 09/08/09 03:17 AM Re: OK. Stupid Question. What is an Unrally? [Re: Angel]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Angel
Having experienced both, I can say that they are not even close to being comparable. Night and day, apples and oranges, (you get the idea).

At my first (and only) UN. I met a bunch of folks that were there to see their friends and meet new ones. It really didn't matter much that I didn't know many people by the end, I had new friends and countless "if you are ever in my neck of the woods invitations". Thats cool.

At the MOA, SOoo many people... sure, I met some folks but I can't say that I walked away with new friends...
All of this to say that, I missed seeing/hanging out and meeting many more new friends. dopeslap
I heard the rumor about the next UN in the sierras.... I'm juiced! I can't wait. Don't think I'm gonna miss that one!
Hi Angel! wave

That's a perfect summation of the main difference between the BMW MOA "Rally" and our BMWST.com "UnRally". But I have to submit that your experience at the UnRally is also largely because you're exactly the sort of person who's drawn to an UnRally--just like most of the rest of us here. thumbsup

You're lucky to have a great "Pie Town Crew" there in TX to ride with regularly. Our "Dry Town Crew" in San Diego is down to a half a dozen or so (though we just recently added a newbie or two). Most of us have to ride a day or more to get to hang with like-minded folks.

I went to my first (and only) MOA Rally in Spokane, WA after the UnRALLY III in Cody, WY in 2004. It was certainly very interesting to see the huge crowds and the tents of M/C related vendors, but in the end it was just a sea of humanity that had no real attachment for me. Different strokes, I suppose . . . but there is something to be said for the unique spirit of the folks who continue to hang out here. The MOA Rally was mostly about the spectacle, whereas the UnRally was mostly about the PEOPLE--who became yet better FRIENDS . . . and of course the RIDING. The ability to experience a "live version" of this site combined with sharing riding in some of the continent's most awesome spots is beyond compare! clap

Besides, if you haven't ridden in the Sierra's yet you don't know what you're missing!!! Living only a day's ride away, we've ridden them MANY times . . . and yet we're still JUICED to get to share it with the rest of you!!!!! clap thumbsup cool clap

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#517939 - 09/09/09 12:05 AM Re: OK. Stupid Question. What is an Unrally? [Re: Angel]  
RevRay Offline
RevRay  Offline

Nowhere
Angel, Good seeing ya at MOA to bad you couldn't make UN. If you want to put names/avatars with faces you got to check out Roy Temples Picasa page. Hope to see you on the left coast.

RevRay
CO2W
Waste No Curve
#522807 - 09/22/09 03:16 AM Re: OK. Stupid Question. What is an Unrally? [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Duane n Oregon Offline
Duane n Oregon  Offline

Oregon
Hey, thanks for the explanation. I've wondered but never asked. Sounds good. I'm in Oregon, so those Sierra Nevadas may be calling in 2010!

Duane

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3