BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#524466 - 09/27/09 04:02 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Kenny Haynes]  
Highway41 Offline
Highway41  Offline

Jax, Fl
Great photos and video. The video going down the Corkscrew cured me of any notion to buy a dirt bike.
Bill

#524467 - 09/27/09 04:04 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: bobbybob]  
StretchMark Offline
StretchMark  Offline

Alpharetta, GA
We were out there from 9/11-9/18, but didn't get over to Ouray until 9/15. We saw many RT's along the way.

Mark Davis
#524472 - 09/27/09 04:39 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Kenny Haynes]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va
WOW,great stuff guys,sorry I missed that section,but kind of glad I missed the "pucker"section of Blackbear. eek

For me the plan was to trailer to Montrose,dump the truck and ride on to Monticello to meet up with the guys.

5PM and I'm ready to ride.Punch in Monticello on the Zumo and have a look.The route makes a large U to my left.Looking that direction its solid black with lightening strikes every few minutes.A quick check to my right reveals the same,but its clear in the middle and MR Zumo shows a yellow squiggley that runs in that path.Cool....Lets ride.........BIG MISTAKE. cry

The first few miles were good,a few drops of rain on the road.As I started the climb up the edge of the Uncompahgre plateau the road turns to gravel,no problem,gravel is fun,but the rain is increasing which brings out a flaw with this bike.Front fender is too short and the water is slinging out the front and flying back into my face.Oh well,reducing my speed a bit will help somewhat.

A third of the way across the gravel turns into a light coating of mud.Now vision is becoming a problem as my visor and the headlight are getting splattered with mud.Too far down the road now to turn back.

At the halfway point I'm in 2 inches of mud, riding with a rag between the fingers of my left hand to wipe the visor and headlight clean as I go.Its pitch black,raining slightly and the lightening strikes are still on both sides.I'm down to 20 mph and I can barely see the Mule deer that cross in front of me.

There is absolutely nothing out here but me and the critters.. eek

Now there are cattle standing in the road.I slow as they move out of the way.It couldn't get much worse than this.........WRONG

I see a sign that indicates the road narrows ahead......that can't be good...It narrows to about the width of one car and it looks like its just been newly worked........and the mud is 4 inches deep and I'm constantly fighting the sideways slides.Shoulders start to ache.

Time to Man-up and get the job done.I know Mark and Kenny are sitting in a warm room,sipping a cold one and watching me on the Spottracker,while laughing their asses off at the dumb decision I made.... tongue

Finally the road gets wider,the mud a little less,but still just as slippery.Seemed like forever before I get to the hardsurface.Now,only 78 miles of dark lonely road to Monticello.

Shower and a cold one will be great..........I know the guys have me covered....Wrong again.. rofl

Even though the bathroom is in the lobby and there is no AC, the conference room is looking pretty good and its great to get back with the guys. thumbsup

Pic of the bike next morning,I was afraid to get off in the mud,rain and dark to attempt a pic.Pretty sure that would have resulted in a busted asssssss. laugh

Tomorrow will be a better day,will get started on it shortly

Last edited by big-t; 09/27/09 04:53 PM.

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#524474 - 09/27/09 05:03 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]  
StretchMark Offline
StretchMark  Offline

Alpharetta, GA
Originally Posted By: big-t

Shower and a cold one will be great..........I know the guys have me covered....Wrong again.. rofl

We were thinking the exact same thing as we rolled into town, tired and shivering. We just assumed you would arrive waaaay before us. grin

I like the way the next day started with a nice warmup and the mountains tempting us in the distance:

...take it away, big-t thumbsup

Mark Davis
#524479 - 09/27/09 05:30 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
Originally Posted By: big-t

A third of the way across the gravel turns into a light coating of mud.Now vision is becoming a problem as my visor and the headlight are getting splattered with mud.Too far down the road now to turn back.

At the halfway point I'm in 2 inches of mud, riding with a rag between the fingers of my left hand to wipe the visor and headlight clean as I go.Its pitch black,raining slightly and the lightening strikes are still on both sides.I'm down to 20 mph and I can barely see the Mule deer that cross in front of me.

There is absolutely nothing out here but me and the critters.. eek

Now there are cattle standing in the road.I slow as they move out of the way.It couldn't get much worse than this.........WRONG

I see a sign that indicates the road narrows ahead......that can't be good...It narrows to about the width of one car and it looks like its just been newly worked........and the mud is 4 inches deep and I'm constantly fighting the sideways slides.Shoulders start to ache.

Todd, I noticed that road (FR402-Divide Rd.) on a map a few years ago and have been looking for a good report on it ever since.

Thanks, we appreciate it. grin

Bill

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650
#524481 - 09/27/09 05:36 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: StretchMark]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va
Its great how a new day dawns and everything changes.We woke up to a beautiful day,a bit stinky from lack of facilities.

Today we head to Greenriver UT and pass thru Moab.

Smooth riding after yesterdays mess.

Leftover snow

Look whats on the Horizon

Moab

Sand flats road coming into Moab

lunch break at the Moab Brewery

Climbing out of Moab

We ran into lots of this type road surface.

Gemini Bridges area

Close to Greenriver

E.O.D

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#524483 - 09/27/09 05:52 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: roadscholar]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va

Bill,

I was on Rt90 out of Montrose that cuts the corner of the plateau,on the Zumo it looked like a paved road, confused

Going back and checking it out on mapsource confirms its a dirt road.

I had us routed on the Divide Rd,for the return trip,but we had to change plans,so I'll have to wait for your report on that road grin Looks good

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#524484 - 09/27/09 05:55 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
That was really fantastic you guys! <standing ovation>

Oh well, guess I'll have to ride it : )

Last edited by roadscholar; 09/27/09 05:59 PM.

Bill

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650
#524503 - 09/27/09 07:24 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: roadscholar]  
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!
Kenny Haynes  Offline
Captain Underpants!

Friendsville, TN
If you went to sleep on Geyser pass and woke up a few miles later in the Moab area, you could easily be convinced you were transported to a different planet. The changes in scenery are dramatic.

Aspens on the road near Geyser pass.

A few miles outside of Moab

Climbing out toward Gemini Bridges area.

Click pic

Easy to get a little stupid with the throttle in here, but we managed to behave.

As we got closer to Green River, I couldn’t get that CCR song out of my head. There were no barefoot girls dancin’ in the moonlight though. Time for laundry and some chow.

#524543 - 09/27/09 11:11 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]  
johnlt Offline
johnlt  Offline

Green Valley, AZ
Hey Mark, great story and ride. Unless I missed it, did you have some specific GPS tracks you were following? I'd love to have them.

johnlt

johnlt
2009 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2009 Yamaha WR250R
1975 R75/6 (loaned to my son....yeah right!!
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike