BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#524553 - 09/27/09 11:39 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: johnlt]  
StretchMark Offline
StretchMark  Offline

Alpharetta, GA
John,
big-t actually put the routes together. I believe most of what we did is part of the TAT route that Sam Correro put together over a period of time. TAT Map Web Site - Click here.

I'll let big-t respond about sharing the routes. I believe there is somewhat of an uspoken rule about protecting Sam's hard work. I know big-t had to prove he purchased the maps before GPS files were shared with him.

Again, I don't have many pics to add to this group.

We had been missing the mark on just about every meal this trip. I hate that! Finally this Chili Verde at Moab Brewery really hit the spot:

Probably my favorite part about traveling with big-t is the way he soaks up every experience....always a smile, a thumbs up:

Of course Kenny's battle cry of "Less talk, more throttle!" always gets me going:

The battle cry and this sign seems like a good lead in to the next day of riding...which was EPIC!!

Who wants to kick off Black Dragon/White Rim?? clap

Mark Davis
#524566 - 09/28/09 12:49 AM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: StretchMark]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va
Gonna be hard to top yesterday.......or maybe not.We are already realizing the ride thru Torrey will be impossible to accomplish,so a new plan is devised to visit Black Dragon Canyon and possibly run part of the White Rim trail.........,All in one day ???

A short run down the slab brought us to an overlook at the Black Dragon canyon,where we noticed some figures lurking down in the canyon,we were pretty sure they were The Kopelli's.Often seen as the “humpback flute player” in primitive indians drawings.

Mark was quick and managed to catch a few on his camera.

Found the road down into the canyon

Quick check to ensure we are on course

Nothing to worry about here

A couple of returning 4x4s that found the canyon impassable

Finally

First sign of things to come

Starting down into the canyon

Nobody has been in here for a while

If I could have some wishes, my second one would be for longer legs,Mark just duck walks that KLR thru the roughest places.

getting better

It was rough going in,but worth every effort

I really hate to follow Kenny on the rough trails,especially when he stops at a bad spot to survey the trail ahead,then drops out of sight....you know then its going to be UGLY... tongue...sorry no pics,You could not pry my hands off the bars. cry

Pictographs from another age

As usual the pics cannot convey the magnatitude of this place

This pic of Mark will give you a little better insite

and the gate back onto the slab

AWESOME......Gonna take a break,but the day is only half over,stay tuned

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#524576 - 09/28/09 01:14 AM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]  
StretchMark Offline
StretchMark  Offline

Alpharetta, GA
The yoga "Tree Pose" cracked me up too. It was a little embarrassing to see that several others had pulled in the parking lot after we got there. I'm sure they were wondering what the hell we were doing.

So I guess the riverbed is now the trail???

Of course I had to take this one. It's not often I see Kenny in this predicament. I had nearly busted it in some deep stuff the corner before, so I kind of chuckled when I saw him:

Is big-t ready to shoot himself? I convince them it's not too bad...keep coming!

I was really amazed how capable the KLR was through all of this stuff. I really bonded with it this week and thought seriously about selling both my GS and DRZ and giving Kenny the $600 he was asking for the bike grin (It's worth less now).

Two thumbs up this time:

Little Kenny is such a tiny thing...takes up no room at all:

Daylight ahead and we are finally out of this canyon:

I did a little research on the canyon, and we apparently missed some of the really good pictographs/petroglyphs. Guess we'll have to go back!

Now let's moto down to the White Rim Trail for the second "half" of the day...

Mark Davis
#524595 - 09/28/09 03:01 AM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: StretchMark]  
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!
Kenny Haynes  Offline
Captain Underpants!

Friendsville, TN
Black Dragon came highly recommended but we were a little apprehensive regarding the conditions. There had been a good bit of rain in the area over the last few weeks and a friend told me that the canyon was essentially a wash. If too much rain had fallen, it could be impassable.

It sure started out beautiful though, and we wanted to get through it.

Click pic

Hard to tell where the road went, or if there was one in some places. Mark convinced us to keep plugging away at it, and we are glad he did.

It was quite stunning scenery though.

For the most part, the traction was great and there was very little deep sand here. What there was I managed to find. I wonder how good an idea it is to have a bike that you can’t pick up. I dropped mine twice in the canyon and had to get Marks help both times to right it. Thanks man, saved me from unloading the thing.

I never thought scenery like this could become routine, but we barely scratched the surface of what is here and it seemed to go on forever in all directions. Almost out of the canyon here. By any measure a great day of riding already.

But, if some is good more is better right?

A quick blast back to Green River on I70, then off to the White Rim trail next.

It starts off with a bang. Click the pic.

#524650 - 09/28/09 12:15 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Kenny Haynes]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va
With the Black Dragon experience still on out mind,a short slab toward Moab to check out the White Rim Trail is the next order of the day.Reports of 6 to 8 hours to finish make us realize that we will probably have to turn around at some point and get out before dark..

The top of the canyon at the entry point.

100 feet later.the infamous Shafer switchbacks

There are 2 cars in this pic,can you find them?

Finally at the bottom

New arch forming,come back in a million years and it will be ready

Glad I wasn't here 2 days ago

Click on pic

There are plenty of places that will allow you some suckup time

Notice the “white rim”

I mapped out the trail in Mapsource and it showed 120 miles from Moab to Moab and everybody was enjoying the beauty and concentrating on the ride to even consider turning around........Until a mishap happened and then we realized how bad it could have been.Absolutely no cell service and it had been quite a while since we had seen anyone and still about 60 miles of hard terrain to cover.

Kenny picking up the KLR while Mark looks on.

I'm pretty sure Mark said

”it wouldn't be nuttin for me to ride 60 miles outta here in the dark with a broken foot and cracked/bruised ribs” grin

We tried to hustle along but it was hard not to stop and take photos

Minor repair to get the lights on

Kudos to Kenny for leading us out for the last 3hrs in the dark,(even though we almost got buried in a sand )...It was almost impossible task,on the solid rock sections the trail just disappeared and in the dark the little turnoffs often sent us the wrong way.

...and I'm glad we paid for that executive suite.........since it was the only room left in town.. eek

Should you try the White Rim trail,be prepared,it just keeps coming at you,rocks,ledges,tough climbs and decents in loose stuff with ledges,rut and sand washes.

Not saying you should not do it,just be prepared.Its recommended you carry 2 days worth of food and water here,just in case.The only Park Ranger we saw was 1.5 hrs from the end of the trail.

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#524700 - 09/28/09 02:35 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]  
StretchMark Offline
StretchMark  Offline

Alpharetta, GA
Yeah...those switchbacks were really something!

I've been wanting to come here for a long time. Another checkmark.

A multiple thumbs-up day:

Probably the favorite of my shots for the trip. What a place!

And then stupidty creeps in. You know you still have a looong way to go to get to Moab, you know you are running out of daylight, the roads gets a little smoother, so you twist the throttle....but you just can't stop peeking at the scenery:

Shortly after this picture, I was peeking off to my right. When I focused my attention back on the trail I noticed a decent size step-up ledge in the middle of the trail. I hit the brakes hard and tried to swerve to the side, the front started to tuck, then hooked back up and I went flying. I slid into the ledge, then the bike plowed into me. I knew I'd screwed up something, but also knew we had to get the hell out of there. The next few hours were pretty rough. I couldn't stand on the pegs so I was taking the shock of all the bumps.

Even in pain, I couldn't resist stopping for a last few pictures:

Riding in the dark the last 3 hours made it that much worse. I was so glad to get to the hotel and even more thrilled that big-t was a rolling pharmacy of pain meds. At that point I knew I could at least make it the last 200 miles to the truck.

I sure hated to end the trip this way. Tomorrow we would have to ride past the Grand Mesa and the Great Divide trail thinking of what could have been.

...and were not quite done yet....

Mark Davis
#524703 - 09/28/09 02:40 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: StretchMark]  
Firefight911 Offline
Sparkle Farkle
Firefight911  Offline
Sparkle Farkle

Rancho Cordova, CA
This is like a great action novel. Keep it coming boys. This is great stuff!!!!

Phil Challinor

'16 GMC Denali HD Crew LB Diesel
'16 Mazda 3 HB
#524709 - 09/28/09 03:08 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Firefight911]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
Off the scale, almost epic. grin

Bill

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650
#524710 - 09/28/09 03:17 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: StretchMark]  
SageRider Offline
SageRider  Offline

Minden, Nevada
Tag team ride report!
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup

Michael
2010 Unrally IX Sierra Adventures Co-Chair
KE6GYC 2M/440
'12 F800-GS Trophy: (dearly departed)
'06 R1200-RT, Piedmont RED! (dearly departed)
'99 R1100-RT (dearly departed)
Minden, Nevada
#524723 - 09/28/09 03:55 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: StretchMark]  
Huzband Offline
Huzband  Offline

Cowford, Fl.
I think I just ran out of popcorn.

This is awesome! thumbsup

Danny

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'10 530 XC-W Six Days
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'02 GasGas 280 Pro (Squirrel)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344