BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#524725 - 09/28/09 04:02 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Huzband]
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!

Loc: Friendsville, TN
This trail was really like nothing else Iíve ever done from a scenery perspective. In addition to the scenery it had smooth sections, rough sections, some steep climbs and descents, some deep sand similar to what I had ridden in last winter on the Baja peninsula. None of it horribly technical, but we needed every arrow in the quiver at some point or another. Every point on the compass begged to be photographed. My pics are very similar to what Todd and Mark have posted already, but Iíll throw in a few.

Click pic.

There is nothing quite like riding along and realizing that the dust cloud in front of you is from your buddy crashing. I didnít see Markís crash, but the dust was still in the air when I got there. My first thought was to hope he wasnít hurt so bad that he couldnít continue to ride out. My gps showed that we still had several hours to get out of there, probably 50 miles of dirt left then 25 or so of pavement and the shadows were already getting long. There was some lightning in the distance as we continued, and I started to worry that the trail could get much worse in even a little rain. I gave up on the camera and continued to try to push a steady pace to get out of there. Then the old klr blew another headlight fuse and we had no more. I had no choice but to wire around it with safety wire and hope we didnít fry the harness.

We ran in to a really cute ranger who confirmed we were on the right path but I was discouraged when she said we still had another hour and 45 minutes to get to the pavement. She couldnít keep her eyes off of meÖor, maybe it was the other way around Iím confused nowÖ

It is very difficult and dangerous to try to follow the trail after dark and at one point I missed a turn and buried the 950 up to the axles in deep sugar sand. After finally freeing it, I found the trail again and we continued. I kept thinking about Mark riding this rough road, unable to stand and take some of the jarring out of his ribs. Tough dude that boy.

By the time we got to Moab it was about 11pm, and all the restaurants were closed. While the guys got showered I rode down to a gas station and bought some packaged deli style sandwiches. We were beat to say the least.

Thanks so much for the nice comments. More laterÖ

#524755 - 09/28/09 05:09 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Kenny Haynes]
big-t Offline
big-hearted

Loc: roanoke.va
Today should have been the last day on the trail thru LaSal pass,John Brown canyon and the Divide RD,but Mark was in a lot of pain and Kenny and I were pretty well spent from the long days and the rough terrain,so we decided to bag it and take the easy road back.

With a little map searching we found a great departure route from Moab that would still provide some great scenery and keep the bumps to a minimum.

Route 128 NW out of Moab is a great ride.

We are 10+ over the limit and I'm shooting video with my left hand in the air.One of Utah's finest passes the other direction and thinks I'm waving at him,so he returns the wave.Kenny and Mark are behind me and return the wave and we keep on rolling. grin

Click on pic

Before long we found the truck and loaded the bikes

I went to wash my hands and upon my return this is what I saw.

Actually the pic was a bit later after we cleaned off all the blood running down Kennys leg.

Can't leave these guys alone for a minute without them getting into trouble... rofl

Kenny scared the crap out of me..he was moaning and I thought he was having a heat attack... eek
...instead,I find out he was just trying an inverted flying W...off the trucks tailgate,missed the landing and hit the trailer tongue...Gotta watch these kids all the time.. grin

We tried to load Kenny in the truck but it was a no go, so the little red wagon was called.

I'm pretty sure Mark has a pic that needs inserted here..

Three busted ribs plus some major bruising,netted Kenny an overnight stay in the hospital.

Mark and I grabbed another top quality Motel room....(Bluegrass convention in town)

and another day ended.

74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
07 KTM 990 Adv
08 Yamaha WR250R
13 Husky Terra
AMA Charter Life Member

#524761 - 09/28/09 05:25 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!

About 1250 miles of riding with no problems, and then I pull a bone headed move as Todd described. I got in the truck to make room for my gearbag. I'm kneeling on the tailgate, put my foot on the tongue to step down and it slips as I transfer weight to it. I roll off and land sideways on my right side on the tongue, which forces all the air out of my lungs. After struggling to catch my breath for about 30 minutes, I decide I better get things looked at. We were 3 minutes away from pulling out for home when I fell. DAMNIT!

Problem is, no way I can climb in the truck with this much pain. Gotta get some help. And of course, my buddies head straight for their cameras.

#524763 - 09/28/09 05:29 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Kenny Haynes]
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!

Er doc says 3 or 4 busted ribs, bruised right lung and they want to watch me overnight, so I am admitted.

The floor nurse couldn't keep her eyes off of me, or maybe that was the other way around too...I was heavily medicated. The staff at Montrose Memorial were very nice. Did I say DAMNIT!

#524773 - 09/28/09 05:46 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Kenny Haynes]
Huzband Offline

Loc: Cowford, Fl.
Dang, dude, you're as clumsy as Phil! grin

Oh, sorry you got hurt. Really.

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'10 530 XC-W Six Days
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'02 GasGas 280 Pro (Squirrel)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344

#524778 - 09/28/09 06:06 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Huzband]
Firefight911 Offline
Sparkle Farkle

Loc: Rancho Cordova, CA
Originally Posted By: Huzband
Dang, dude, you're as clumsy as Phil! grin

Oh, sorry you got hurt. Really.

No he's not. He made it more than 50 yards! smile

Perhaps the 3 of you should try another, "less" impactful sport.

'16 GMC Denali HD Crew LB Diesel
'16 Mazda 3 HB

#524792 - 09/28/09 06:50 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: Firefight911]
StretchMark Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Originally Posted By: 1bmwfan

Perhaps the 3 of you should try another, "less" impactful sport.

rofl

The thought of selling the bikes did cross my mind, but only for a brief moment.

I have no more pictures.

One video I wish I had was big-t going up a nice climb while 8 cute mountain biker chicks were coming down. A little too much throttle with very little weight on the front tire made for another "glad I had this body armor" moment. Gotta pick your moments better Todd. grin

Hearing the loud thud followed by very strange Kenny groans, was a sickening feeling. I looked over just in time to see the truck suspension rebounding. Seeing him draped across the metal bars, I knew instantly he messed himself up good. Now give us some credit Kenny...we got the sympathy thing out of the way, cleaned up your leg, got you some pain meds, called 911...and then and only then (feeling invorgorated by no longer being the weakest link) did I pull out the camera phone grin

The other plus, while Kenny was restricted to a liquid diet, Todd and I finally had time the next morning for a decent breakfast. Picture, Todd?

#524796 - 09/28/09 07:01 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: StretchMark]
big-t Offline
big-hearted

Quote:
One video I wish I had was big-t going up a nice climb while 8 cute mountain biker chicks were coming down. A little too much throttle with very little weight on the front tire made for another "glad I had this body armor" moment. Gotta pick your moments better Todd. grin

None of the bikes got away without a nap or two.

Pressure suits are great.... thumbsup
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
07 KTM 990 Adv
08 Yamaha WR250R
13 Husky Terra
AMA Charter Life Member

#524801 - 09/28/09 07:16 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]
big-t Offline
big-hearted

Again,a new day dawns.Always check with a local to find a good breakfast spot.

Breakfast was GOOOD!!....and we were pretty sure Kenny was eating just as good at the hospital.. rofl

Maybe we ought to check on Kenny..

He is looking good............maybe because of all the Morphine is his system..

The Doc shows up......They dress a little different in this part of the country cool

Kenny is cleared for the trip to Denver(lots of pain pills)and we are rolling
The plan now is to get Kenny and Mark to Denver for a flight home.There is no way Kenny is going to be able to bounce along in the truck for 1500 miles and Mark has to depart for NYC the next day.

Crossing Monarch Pass

Get that ugly thing outta my face...

Seems like a shame to have to leave Colorado,there is so much more to see.

Oh....the kidney stone.

I was the big risk on this trip as I have been carrying a stone for several months(a couple of ER visits)
Not my first,got plenty of experience with them and I felt OK with trying the trip,even though there is always some risk.
With all the bumps and banging I figured it would come out the first day,but no such luck.It waited until the last evening before I could finally give birth to a rather small stone.

GOOD RIDDANCE..

WE WILL BE BACK.........I'm pretty sure we missed a road or two.. clap
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
07 KTM 990 Adv
08 Yamaha WR250R
13 Husky Terra
AMA Charter Life Member

#524814 - 09/28/09 07:40 PM Re: TAT Part 2...or "how to pass a Kidney stone. [Re: big-t]
StretchMark Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
The thought of you riding 1200 miles with that stone, passing it on the last night, sticking your hand into the foamy toilet to grab it, popping out of the bathroom singing "I Feel good" while busting out your best attempt at a James Brown dance move...man...it hurt sooo bad to laugh, but I couldn't hold it back. That was classic! thumbsup thumbsup

Always awesome riding with you two! Despite Kenny and I getting banged up and the bike issue, this was a really great trip!

Now the reality of only 2 weeks of vacation sets in.....

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike