BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#541535 - 11/20/09 01:15 AM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: Matts_12GS]  
majordad Offline
majordad  Offline

Roanoke, Virginia
thank you all for your replies. I think there are things to like in both bikes and certainly won't consider getting rid of my RT. I know a good thing when I see/ride it. I may consider going to the dealer this weekend if possible.

2007 1200RT Titan Silver
#541545 - 11/20/09 01:30 AM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: lvnvbiker]  
Boone60 Offline
Boone60  Offline

Northeast Wisconsin
My buddy rides the frame mounted Roadglide, and will not go back to a Roadking. This spring, I told him about co-workers that ride UltraClassics complaining about arm fatigue, and how the heavy winds were shoving them around, the day after we had went on a 100 mile ride. I hadn't noticed the wind on my RT, and my friend mentioned the Ultras with the frame mounted windshields in the crosswinds beat-up the arms on those guys.

Have fun shopping.

Dan
2000 R1100RT
#541559 - 11/20/09 02:19 AM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: Boone60]  
BailyD Offline
BailyD  Offline

New Jersey
Very true what everyone else has said. I ride the RT for work and HD Electra Glide for home. I am constantly comparing them. I have the new Brembo ABS and found it works wonderful, very similar to the BMW (NOT THE STOPPING POWER, BMW hands down). If I were doing high speed, highway the BMW is the one. Harley works fine and is fun to chug around town on.

Don't be afraid of the weight. Once you get used to it and practice technique the HD is easier to learn to ride at low speed. Tipover bars are your friend and keep your bike at nearly 45 degrees! No hard parts touch down so you aren't afraid to push your training to the limit. After you drop it the first time you get over the the fear. Minor scratches on the downside of the bars.

fyi, I've never owned a Harley before last year. (22 years riding)

Last edited by BailyD; 11/20/09 02:23 AM.

Harley Electra Glide (Police), BMW's F650GS-P (retired), R1200RT-P (turned over to Jr. Ofc.) 2015 Harley Electra Glide (current)
#541604 - 11/20/09 08:33 AM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: BailyD]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
There are tons of places around now that rent Harleys. If you're thinking of buying one, rent one for a day (it's the only way you're gonna get a test ride anyway).

I had an '02 Road King, put about 10,000 miles on it. I figured out why H-D riders are always blipping their throttles: the mass of that big spinning flywheel will hold the bike upright at a stop! It was much easier to ride slowly than my RT.

It's very much a go-slow-and-enjoy-the-scenery bike. Which is not to say you can't hustle the bike (the RK has the best cornering clearance of any Harley), but you'll be working pretty hard to go speeds you'd hardly consider sporty on the RT.

Ride quality is definitely worse than the RT, due to very short suspension travel. And due to the seating position, shocks go straight up your spine. This was really the deal killer for the bike for me, because I have a couple of herniated disks in my low back. That, and I never felt comfortable with Harley riders.

Here's a study in contrasts:
On my Road King on a lonely road in Nevada, I may have (not saying I did on a public forum) once hit 100 mph after a goodly run with the throttle wide open.
On my RT on lonely roads in Nevada, I may have cruised for hours on end at 100 mph.

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#541619 - 11/20/09 01:30 PM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: Bill_Walker]  
krussell Offline
krussell  Offline

Portland, OR
As Bill points out, the HD rental program is one of the best in the business. It's definitely worth getting some time on them. I've had an 08 RT, an 08 EG, and an 09 EG. They are all great bikes. The suspension on the HD is seriously lacking when compared to the RT. The HD is easier to ride.

If you start getting into later models the frame was redone in 09, big improvement in stability and handling. Some say a bit harsher, but compared to the RT it's like riding a ROCK anyway.

The Road Glide is the best long distance bike, I don't like the look from the front or I would own one. They seriously messed up in 2010 on the RG, they lowered it an inch. You can put after market shocks on it to get that back.

There's tons and tons after aftermarket stuff. Can be fun, can be expensive. Resale is very good on the bikes.

Kevin '12 K1600GTL
#541623 - 11/20/09 01:44 PM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: Bill_Walker]  
beekay Offline
Just Joined
beekay  Offline
Just Joined

Rowley, MA
the low CG on a Harley is nice. i don't feel so tall. the low CG does make it feel 'heavy' on turns, until you get used to it. I was competing the roadglide and the rt. the roadglide was my first pick, but it was too spendy for me right now, and I really wanted something different (have old ironhead now). Dad owns an ultra classic and it will be his forever. Older ones are easy to maintain with a single carb to tune, there are TONS of parts out there, so you can spend what you want on parts, and don't have to feel limited with choices, especially on older bikes.
There is a passionate user group (to say the least). You will either like it or hate it.
Putting around 2up is definitely a strong point for the Big Twin Harley. the weight and low CG keeps the passengers from giving too much inadvertent input.

Its a very fun group of bikes, and its hard to go wrong with one, especially if you are keeping your RT.

#541626 - 11/20/09 01:55 PM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: Matts_12GS]  
Dale_K Offline
Newer Member
Dale_K  Offline
Newer Member

I've owned a couple FLH series bikes and a few BMW's. Right now I have a R1200R. If you're worried about low speed handling the Harley is actually very good in that area. It's also good at highway cruising. Pretty weak motor and terrible at canyon carving but you already know that.

Harley advertising used to have a slogan "Things are different on a Harley". It's true. They are more fun. Not necessarily in a rational way but genuinely fun. Good luck.

#541691 - 11/20/09 04:13 PM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: Dale_K]  
Albert Offline
Albert  Offline

Southwestern, PA, USA
I rode a Road King (and other HD's) prior to the RT. I like the HD a lot and it was a really comfortable bike. I'm having lots of fun with the performance and handling on the BMW but I would have no regrets riding another HD. The big HD's actually handle quiet nicely although they obviously lack any real ground clearance. Completely different animals but both have + and -. Most of my HD big twin friends have gravitated to the Road Glide (as said above).

Al (that's not my picture!)
06 RT

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway
#541790 - 11/20/09 08:48 PM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: majordad]  
Softtail Offline
Softtail  Offline

Oregon, Wallowa County
majordad, I have a 1991 FXSTC (Softtail) Branch heads, 20 over Keith Black racing pistons, Edelbrock cam, S&S Super E, etc. I also ride a 2008 K1200GT and have owned an RT. How did I decided to get a beemer? I was on a day ride, comming out of the Wallowa River canyon when two bikes blew around me. As I went through the town of Wallowa, I saw that both bikes had pulled over and I wasn't sure what they were. I started out of Wallowa and I saw them in my rear view mirror. I decided that they were not going to pass me again, so I ramped the HD up to about 100 mph. I couldn't see where they were because you can't see out of a harley mirror at speeds over 60. My eyes were watering and the left gas cap had viberated loose, so I had to let go of the bars to keep it from flying off. Flash, they both passed me again. When I got into Enterprise, they were stoped at Safeway, so I pulled in and checked them out. They were both RTs. I bought an RT the next day. Bottom line, my stock RT could run circles around my hopped-up FXSTC and my GT is a total harley eater. But I will always keep the hog, infact I am going to put a 124 inch S&S motor in the bike in Jan. <<<<Softtail>>>>

Just Passen Through
2008 K1200GT
1991 HD FXSTC
Past Bikes, 2002 R1150RT
1986 H VF1000R, 1970 Norton SS Commando
1966 BSA Spitfire, 1956 BSA Goldstar
1962, H CL-72, 1960 Cushman Eagle
#541827 - 11/20/09 10:50 PM Re: question to any Harley riders [Re: majordad]  
mikeR1100R Offline
mikeR1100R  Offline

Terryville, CT USA
I must confess to not knowing much about about Harleys. I do know that I rented a Roadking in 2008 to ride the road to Hana in Maui. We rode two up for 225 miles that day. Georgi was using her arms to hold herself up off the passenger seat by the end of the day because it was so uncomfortable. My wrists were so sore from the strange angle of the handlebars that I was shifting without the clutch for the last 50 miles due to the pain. It was big, slow and heavy. I don't know what year the bike was made or if the bars and seat were stock equipment, but I do know that I was extremely unimpressed with this motorcycle.
I know that this is my only experience with a Harley since riding a 1974 XLCH 35 years ago, but I am not likely to ever have any interest in a Harley based on that day.

Mike
1998 R1100R
Georgi
2004 Ninja 250
2004 Ninja 500
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4