BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#572938 - 02/24/10 07:22 AM Tidying up the Gerbings!
kdoddrell Offline

Loc: Illinois
I have the new Gerbings Jacket and gloves with the dual controller (belt clip model) but would like to mount a flush mount to plug the power lead into rather than having the power lead from the battery hanging out from under the seat.

Yes, I admit, very anal!!

Does anyone know where to get a flush mount and has anyone been as precious as this before?

Cheers

Chicago, Illinois
2006 R1200RT

#572947 - 02/24/10 07:44 AM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: kdoddrell]
racer7 Offline

Loc: Wilmington, NC
What year is your RT?

Look in the manual - it will say how much current the sock outlet(s) can handle.

Newer ones have 10A TOTAL capability on the stock outlet(s) so will run your gear off the front outlet (or rear if you have the option) BUT will not run heated gear for 2 peole without trippng the ZFE.

Anyway, what you want for an addition is a Powerlet outlet (just google it, lots of sources and variants including complete kits for various ways of adding one) with a 10A or better rating.

You could also rewire one or both of your stock outlets to go direct to battery or to a switched fuseblock.

BTW, and IMOL, there is a betterdual controller around than the Gerbings that is a simple plug in. Its tyhe WarmNSafe dua REMOTE cnotrooler that allows velcroing the controls anywhere you want- much easier to se when riding.

#572971 - 02/24/10 08:41 AM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: racer7]
workin them angels Offline

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: racer7

BTW, and IMOL, there is a betterdual controller around than the Gerbings that is a simple plug in. Its tyhe WarmNSafe dua REMOTE cnotrooler that allows velcroing the controls anywhere you want- much easier to se when riding.

+1

The point of the journey is not to arrive..

#572991 - 02/24/10 09:40 AM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: kdoddrell]
Twisty1 Offline

Loc: Mi
Originally Posted By: kdoddrell
I have the new Gerbings Jacket and gloves with the dual controller (belt clip model) but would like to mount a flush mount to plug the power lead into rather than having the power lead from the battery hanging out from under the seat.

Yes, I admit, very anal!!

Does anyone know where to get a flush mount and has anyone been as precious as this before?

Cheers

Kevin, if you want to put a little work & elbow grease into the project you can make it very neat & tidy..

On my 09 RT I first changed the factory power socket on the L/H side front to the older BMW 15/20 amp socket (same as the newer powerlet) the original 1200 RT is only rated at 10 amps max due to very small pin terminals..

Then I wired that new power outlet to direct battery & used a 15 amp fuse.. This not only works good for heated gear but also allows a high amp draw battery powered tire air pump to be used for both tire inflation but also camping air mattress inflation & easy battery charger connection..

Then I couldn’t find a suitable length adapter to adapt my Gerbings controller coax plug to the BMW power outlet so I cut a “BMW plug to coax splitter” adapter apart & made a nice neat (short) adapter to plug into the BMW power socket & Gerbings controller coax plug (looks real neat & professional) & works fantastic.. (it’s now basically a BMW plug with a coax plug in the back of the plastic housing,, very short & tidy)..

Took about 3 hours total including removing the L/H Tupperware..

Twisty

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window

#573004 - 02/24/10 10:05 AM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: Twisty1]
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart

Loc: Sykesville, MD
I went recently with the Warm'n Safe remote wireless controller. Mine is the single circuit, but a double would be about the same. They recommend to keep the actual controller in the jacket pocket and just connect the hot cable to that unit. So you have only one cable going to the jacket and then it splits into two if you have the dual setup. I preferred to mount the controller on the bike and the remote wireless adjuster close to my hand on the bar. I have a R1200GS, but it might give some ideas.

The controller itself mounted by the gas tank:

The wireless adjuster on the handlebar:

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter

#573009 - 02/24/10 10:20 AM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: Paul Mihalka]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
+1 on the Remote W&S. Just got done testing it for MCN. There is also another which I just tested for MCN made by EXO2, which is fantastic. Why anyone would bother with the old-style controllers when these more modern, more convenient, and competitively priced alternatives are available is beyond me....

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

#573012 - 02/24/10 10:27 AM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: kdoddrell]
Twisty1 Offline

Loc: Mi
The OP states he has a new Gerbings dual controller.. I sounds like he wants to use that rather than spending a lot of money on a different brand controller..

Why don’t we help him use what he just bought?

Twisty

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window

#573162 - 02/24/10 04:26 PM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: kdoddrell]
GordonB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: kdoddrell

I tried this route, if you use the Gerbings flush mount dual controller it looks nice and tidey on the dash, but now you have the two leads from the dual controller coming out from under the seat to plug into your jacket. The power lead is hidden behind the dash direct to battery.
With this in mind I'd suggest a acc. port connection for your existing pwr lead.
And have the one connection.
2005 Vespa GT, sold

#573283 - 02/24/10 08:51 PM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: GordonB]
kdoddrell Offline

Loc: Illinois
Gordon, that was the reason why I stuck with the remote controller to avoid thpose wires.

Twisty, I don't take offense at the boys trying to get me to buy more farkle stuff, I have stopped counting by now. Is there a farkle rehab clinic available - seems to be the fashion.

Hate to sound thick, but I guess I can get the older BMW outlet from my dealer or maybe online? Sounds like that is the go. My bike is a 2006 and I did plug it into the accessory socket and the gear shut down. I still have that short lead somewhere so I will turn it into the adaptor as you described.

Chicago, Illinois
2006 R1200RT

#573299 - 02/24/10 09:34 PM Re: Tidying up the Gerbings! [Re: kdoddrell]
RedMac Offline

Loc: West Bend, WI
Gerbings makes a flush mount plug you can mount on the RH or LH fairing panel

http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.html

See Accessory Plug Kit
Mike - IBA #38151
06 R1200RT
99 K1200RS - Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >