BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#601232 - 05/20/10 10:03 AM Re: What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth? [Re: Mike]
John Ranalletta Offline

Interesting discussion, Mike.

How will increases in computational power create a moral code of conduct? Humans have both intellect and will. To act human, it seems we can mistake computational power for intellect, but "will" cannot come from the machine itself, me thinks; thus, it will have to be coded in. Computers and processors are, by nature, reactive. Intelligence infers proactivity, i.e. the ability to form an idea and take an action without an outside stimulus.

Bob mentions creativity as an issue. Where creativity is simply creating a new combination of known things (which isn't isn't creativity at all) it seems advance processors can excel; but how does one teach a computer to take risk (creating a new thing or idea that has never before existed and is therefore unproven or not already provided for in its instruction set)?

#601320 - 05/20/10 03:55 PM Re: What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth? [Re: John Ranalletta]
Joe Frickin' Friday Online

Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI (USA)

Attachments
Dolphin.jpg

PLEASE GIVE BLOOD

#601326 - 05/20/10 04:32 PM Re: What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth? [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]
notacop Offline

I believe the parting dolphins said, "So long and thanks for the fish."

#601443 - 05/21/10 03:03 AM Re: What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth? [Re: notacop]
Mike Offline

Administrator

Loc: Chicago area, IL, USA
Originally Posted By: notacop
I believe the parting dolphins said, "So long and thanks for the fish."

Yeah, when I started this thread I was aware of the fact that we may not really be the smartest . . . just the smartest with opposable thumbs. smile

#601449 - 05/21/10 05:35 AM Re: What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth? [Re: Mike]
John Ranalletta Offline

I don't get the part about dolphins being so smart. They see lots of boats and nets as well as fellow or sister dolphins swept into the nets, yet they still end end up like Charlie the Tuna.

#601492 - 05/21/10 07:51 AM Re: What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth? [Re: John Ranalletta]
VinnyR11 Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By: JohnRan
I don't get the part about dolphins being so smart. They see lots of boats and nets as well as fellow or sister dolphins swept into the nets, yet they still end end up like Charlie the Tuna.

As opposed to humans who never repeat their mistakes?? smile

"Nobody sees a flower. We haven't the time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."
Georgia O'Keeffe

#601497 - 05/21/10 08:14 AM Re: What Happens When We Are No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of the Earth? [Re: AviP]
Quinn Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Originally Posted By: AviP
Originally Posted By: Mike
However, beyond this, what are the other implications? Will humans become a second-class species? Will machines dominate intellectual thought? Will they develop and manifest emotions? Will computers overrule their simple creators? Will they come to dominate civilization?

I think the human species will split in two:intelligent and dim-witted.

Sounds like he read H.G. Wells' The Time Machine and is talking about the Morlocks and Eloi.

---

#601557 - 05/21/10 11:04 AM Re: What Happens When We Are No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of the Earth? [Re: AviP]
Pilgrim Offline

Loc: Yakima, WA
Originally Posted By: AviP
Originally Posted By: Mike
However, beyond this, what are the other implications? Will humans become a second-class species? Will machines dominate intellectual thought? Will they develop and manifest emotions? Will computers overrule their simple creators? Will they come to dominate civilization?

I think the human species will split in two:intelligent and dim-witted.

They already have. Thus, we have two political parties. Your call on which party represents which branch of the evolutionary tree.

Free advice: Don't never use no machine you can't unplug.

Pilgrim

#601598 - 05/21/10 01:06 PM Re: What Happens When We Are No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of the Earth? [Re: Pilgrim]
yabadabapal Offline

Loc: Earth, for the time being !
I think human beings are pretty smart for being so stupid.
Being one of the billions of idiots on this planet, it is my
pleasure and my right to say such stupid things.
Here is one of the big businesses of the future regarding synthetic DNA being hosted by a cell. Pretty soon you will be able to place your order for any specific qualities you would like your baby to have. That to me is scary and not quite sane, but there could be a good application such as creating a DNA module that will monitor and terminate any likely hereditary problems throughout the life of the individual.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10138831.stm
The average life is 3900 weeks.
What are you gonna do today!

#601619 - 05/21/10 01:55 PM Re: What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth? [Re: John Ranalletta]
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks

Loc: Edmonton, AB Canada
Originally Posted By: JohnRan
I don't get the part about dolphins being so smart.

You’d have to have read Douglas Adams.

Quote:
What Happens When We're No Longer the Smartest Inhabitants of Earth?

It probably depends a lot on how we define “smartest.” Humans do a lot of dumb things that are counterproductive to the species that other species do not do. I think we may be the only species ever on the plant that has the ability to render itself extinct.

Artificial Intelligence is already pretty good at doing things that can be quantified faster than humans. And as Mitch points out, augmentation of human physical capabilities, or correction of shortcomings has been around for a long time, and will possibly play a greater role in our futures.

But where humans excel is in the ability to consider, imagine, dream what cannot be quantified/explained in any way. A.I. is exceedingly poor at imagination, love, faith, and similar emotional and illogical trains of thought.

I think our ability to consider what has never been previously considered is what makes us “smart.” And on that front A.I. / computers are exceedingly poor. Computers are very good at taking a human thought from beginning to fruition. But I think they’ll still need that initial thought, that originated with a human, for a long time to come.

But in the bigger picture of course humans will not be the smartest life form on this planet forever. Sooner or later some other species will conquer humans. (Personally the viruses get my vote.) I just don't think a human invention (e.g. computers) will be it because by definition it will have to contain the very human flaws that will allow humans to be conquered.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >