Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#604104 - 05/31/10 12:26 AM "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip  
eddd Offline
eddd  Offline

Hurricane, UT
On the way to Torrey I decided to take what seems to have become the obligatory flower picture. I chose quantity over quality.

I made a stop in Lincoln, NM to see if I could find Beverly. Beverly works for the park service and is a real character. We first met her on a trip to the area in April, 2008. Here is a link to Whip's tale, which includes a not-to-be-missed section on Lawman's unlawful activity.

I came across these lines in New Mexico. I wonder if the fine doubles when you cross a double-double yellow line.

I arrived in Torrey on Monday and enjoyed a few days on the bicycle and Kawasaki Sherpa. Wednesday was a mixed bag weather-wise. The sun would be shining in one area.

But snow, rain, and even small hail was moving in from the north and west.

Mr. and Mrs. Whip arrived on Wednesday and so with some extra time we enjoyed a ride to the Burr Trail and Escalante on Thursday with Bob and Luis, one of Larry's partners. But since I don't have pictures of that, it might not have happened.

This brings us to Friday. Bob graciously offers to take Luis, Louise, and Ron B. on a little sight-seeing ride in the pickup. Larry and I decide to go ride dirt bikes on the bentonite hills, a LARGE open area that is perfect for playing on a dirt bike or ATV.

With so much area to ride, Whip and I quickly were separated, which is not uncommon in this area. When he did not return to the area where we started, I became concerned and drove to the top of one of the hills to see if I could spot him.

No luck. I rode around a bit, and followed a few tracks, but wasn't having any luck. I knew there was something wrong, but I also knew I needed help. I didn't have my phone if he was calling. I didn't want to make a bunch of fresh tracks all over the area, since we might be able to find him following his tracks. I headed back to my truck, got the phone, and listened to his message. He'd dumped the bike and injured his "wrist" (turned out to be the thumb) and could not ride. Leaving the campground where my truck was parked, I came upon Killer in his pickup. Just then Whip called again and filled us in on where he was. (Which turned out to be the direct opposite of where he really was...Birthday present suggestion for Louise...buy the boy a compass.)

I took off on my dirt bike to find him while the truck went to gather items for the recovery. Sorry no pictures, but you can believe it happened since you could hear his whining for miles. I'm also sure you'll read Whip's description of the event, which will no doubt include references to how I abandoned him to die in the desert after he crashed into an incredibly steep gorge...(insert rolling eyes emo)

As for the leaving him in the desert...I looked and waited for at LEAST 20 minutes...and besides, it was lunch time and I was hungry.

Louise brought ice, bandages, and meds for the injured rider, Bob rode his bike out, and the poor boy was transported to the clinic in Bicknell. Much whining and constant accusation of abandonment were heard over the remainder of Torrey XIX.

On Saturday, since he was in no shape to ride, Larry lent his bike to Chris, Lawnchairboy. Chris and I headed back out to the bentonite hills for some off-road riding. Here is Chris leaving Bob's as we start the ride.

We decided to head to the sight of the accident, which Janet, Squirrel, had named "Whip's Wash". after listening to Whip's descriptions, we envisioned a deep chasm, with condors circling overhead and landing on the steep sides of Whip's Wash...

...but here is what we found.

...no comment needed...pictures say it all.

Chris and I mounted up and continued our ride on the hills.

And will you look at this...a rider who starts a ride and is able to ride the bike all the way back to the start on his own.

Since Larry was in no condition to ride home, Calvin, Chris, and I loaded his GS into the my trailer.

A dusting of snow greeted us on Monday morning as we were preparing to leave.

We stopped for the night in Roswell. Here you see Louise having to carry everything for her poor, injured husband.

Always one to look for a silver lining...I've started a new business venture:

12 Kawasaki EX650
13 Yamaha XT250
16 KTM RC 390
96 R1100RT - forced retirement at 175,000

#604105 - 05/31/10 12:35 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
Firefight911 Offline
Sparkle Farkle
Firefight911  Offline
Sparkle Farkle

Rancho Cordova, CA
That was awesome!!!

Phil Challinor

'16 GMC Denali HD Crew LB Diesel
'16 Mazda 3 HB
#604106 - 05/31/10 12:35 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
Whip Offline
Whip  Offline

San Antonio, TX
None of this would hold up in court cause like all old men you got the days mixed up. The Whip's got there on Tuesday. We all road to Escalante on Wednesday and you left me to die on Thursday. The only reason I went with ya is cause I didn't think you should be left alone with your memory problems.

Otherwise, nice job.

They say Geritol helps with memory loss, you should prolly double your normal dosage for awhile at least until you know what day it is.

wave

Last edited by Whip; 05/31/10 12:38 AM.

I am their leader, which way did they go?
#604107 - 05/31/10 12:40 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: Whip]  
eddd Offline
eddd  Offline

Hurricane, UT
Originally Posted By: Whip
...They say Geritol helps with memory loss, you should prolly double your normal dosage for awhile at least until you know what day it is.

wave

I'm retired, I don't need to know what day it is.

12 Kawasaki EX650
13 Yamaha XT250
16 KTM RC 390
96 R1100RT - forced retirement at 175,000

#604110 - 05/31/10 12:45 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
lawnchairboy Offline
Snuggie Jesus
lawnchairboy  Offline
Snuggie Jesus

Traffic hell, VA
classic.

Those hills are a riot. Glad I escaped injury at Whip's wash and happy it's namesake lent me a dirtbike to ride, the clampett's rig didn't have enough room for the x-challenge to make the trip.

06 R12RT (for sale) 11 R12GS (for sale) 11 KTM990 ADV

The focus is sharp in the city.
#604114 - 05/31/10 01:26 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
Lawman Offline
Lawman  Offline

Joaquin, Texas
Originally Posted By: eddd
...They say Geritol helps with memory loss, you should prolly double your normal dosage for awhile at least until you know what day it is.

wave

grin

Great pics Ed!

Billy Hearnsberger
2005 R1200RT
Life is good. Then you die.
#604119 - 05/31/10 01:47 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
Calvin (no socks) Offline
Calvin (no socks)  Offline

Neptune Beach, Fl.
Eddddd, in Torrey you don't have to know what day it is! wink

Tag frame? I don't need no steenkin tag frame!
#604125 - 05/31/10 02:36 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
Bullett Offline
Bullett  Offline

Brookings, OR
Originally Posted By: eddd

wave

Touche'! Fun ride tale Ed! rofl

Sharon

07 BMW R1200RT
59 BMW R26
12 Yamaha Super Tenere (for sale)

Apparently, a girl can have too many motorcycles! tongue
#604131 - 05/31/10 03:13 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
Whip was determined that they would NOT, NO NEVER nickname him "Boots!"

But he couldn't help it if they stuck him with "Thumbelina"

Jan

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook
#604134 - 05/31/10 04:35 AM Re: "And my friends left me out there to die." --Whip [Re: eddd]  
tobyzusa Offline
tobyzusa  Offline

Southlake,TX
Thanks Eddd. You are a man of honesty and integrity, I think. So I'll believe the story as written, at least until I hear Whip's version. At that point, I'll probably discard both versions and make up my own.

Brad
'05 1150RT
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike