BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#606920 - 06/08/10 03:24 PM Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)?  
elkroeger Offline
elkroeger  Offline

Rochester WA
Okay, help me out here: How does the threory about the "edge" of the universe go?

One idea that was presented to me was that space, time and gravity are all kindof the same thing. And when you look to the farthest reaches of the universe, eventually you would see the back of your own head, in any direction, because it all curves around back on itself. Similar to being in a giant house of mirrors.

Another concept was that the universe is expanding, so just past the farthest visible point, bodies are moving away from Earth (or each other) at the speed of light (I recall that we can't go faster than light). So eventually light coming from these bodies will never reach us, thus we see plain old dark and call that the "edge".

Which one is right? Either? Neither? Both???

And while I'm at it, one other imponderable: Is it "A-bba" (as in abbey) or "Ah-bba" (as in dogma)?

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
#606921 - 06/08/10 03:38 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: elkroeger]  
John Ranalletta Offline
John Ranalletta  Offline

Add, dino or synthetic to your list of imponderables.

I was in Switzerland recently and I didn't see one person with a knife!
#606923 - 06/08/10 03:44 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: elkroeger]  
Albert Offline
Albert  Offline

Southwestern, PA, USA
You may be able to figure this out if you live near a Holiday Inn Express. grin

Al (that's not my picture!)
06 RT

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway
#606933 - 06/08/10 04:00 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: elkroeger]  
AZKomet Offline
AZKomet  Offline

Phoenix, Az USA
Well I have been a stargazer for 45 years......I traded my precious go cart for a telescope at 10. My parents would get me off the roof of the house at 3 AM on the w/e cuz I felt by being up there got me a little closer to the heavens....

At 12 I was into model rockets and had all the goods for the big launch. A launching pad, a control room and a host of creatures to be the first in space....

I have traveled to far reaching places to see the comets from high a mountain top. Taken my telescope via plane to a lower lats to get better view of the stellar objects.

I even went to the Australian outback to see the "other" constellations not visible from the northern hemi.

The outback afforded me the best views from that small observatory. No light pollution, stars that draped the sky right down to the horizon.....impressive.

Sigh........

Even today I am still fascinated by "what's out there." I sincerely think everyone else should feel that way too...but that's unrealistic of me.

The Mrs. gets annoyed if I ask her to get up at 3 AM to look at Jupiter or some other event that I happen to find good viewing. She thinks my meteor collection is a waste of $$$. Hmmmmmmm.....if it comes up missing and she has new shoes I think I may have a suspect!!!

Just look at my avatar, my vehicle plates "N Orbit" "Komet" "Quazar" and that gives you a hint of my fascination with it all........

Here is a simple explanation of what you seek.....

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/universe.html

Last edited by AZKomet; 06/08/10 04:02 PM.

Dave Farrow

One should always choose the simplest explanation of a phenomenon, the one that requires the fewest leaps of logic.

However, Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

09 K1300 GT
#607020 - 06/08/10 07:52 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: elkroeger]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: elkroeger
And while I'm at it, one other imponderable: Is it "A-bba" (as in abbey) or "Ah-bba" (as in dogma)?

Depends whether you're Murcan or Yoor-o-peein. Although I pronounce it "change the channel."

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#607042 - 06/08/10 10:08 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Hermes Offline
Hermes  Offline

Toronto/ Canada
Thank you AZKomet.
I feel small and insignificant now.
looking at these distances and marveling at the number of Galaxies and Superclusters, I always wonder how many different lifeforms are out there and how advanced some of those are.
Some must be millions if not billions of years adanced, relative to us, some may have come and gone and some may be cruising the universe at speeds that Einstein's e=mc2 forbids. Who are we to know the truth, we have only really learned some of the complicated stuff for the last 100 years, tops.

Jurgen

Hope dies last
#607046 - 06/08/10 10:24 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: Hermes]  
yabadabapal Offline
yabadabapal  Offline

Earth, for the time being !
Im happy to be one of the insignificant particles of a greater universe for now. The universe has plans and we are all invited.

Bobby
My greatest Failures
have always been my greatest Success!
The average life is 3900 weeks.
What are you gonna do today!
#607059 - 06/08/10 10:53 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: yabadabapal]  
AZKomet Offline
AZKomet  Offline

Phoenix, Az USA
Originally Posted By: yabadabapal
Im happy to be one of the insignificant particles of a greater universe for now. The universe has plans and we are all invited.

You are welcome and how very true....

Some believe that the universe started from the big bang with a particle no bigger than a grain of sand. Unimaginable.....but none the less scientists say it happened.

And it is true we are all made of star dust in one from or another......I for one like tho think that is true but not an accident. No matter who we are I think at some point we all wonder who we are, where do we come from and where are we going?

It is not a chance happpening for me......but let's leave it at that before a mod shuts it down. Glad you enjoyed it.

Dave Farrow

One should always choose the simplest explanation of a phenomenon, the one that requires the fewest leaps of logic.

However, Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

09 K1300 GT
#607060 - 06/08/10 10:54 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: Hermes]  
ArmyGuy Offline
ArmyGuy  Offline

Fort Huachuca, AZ
Originally Posted By: Hermes
...I always wonder how many different lifeforms are out there and how advanced some of those are...

As long as none of them want to eat me, I'm fine with meeting them.

Mike

14 R12GS
07 G650X Challenge
#607064 - 06/08/10 11:18 PM Re: Any astronomers in the group (physicists OK too)? [Re: AZKomet]  
elkroeger Offline
elkroeger  Offline

Rochester WA
Okay, my brain hurts now. Back to those Gilligan re-runs.

Thanks for the link! fascinating stuff, indeed.

As I mentioned earlier, there is the concept that with a powerful enough telescope, you'd eventually be looking at the back of your head. I have a slightly different idea where with a powerful enough microscope, you'd eventually peer down (?) through space, at the earth. Or vise versa.

One thing that blows my mind is that with all that incomprehensible space out there, we still have to sit around and make bombs, shoot each other and cry about money. Reminds me of bickering with my brother in the back seat of dad's Studebaker. What a pathetic waste.

Oh, by the way, if you haven't, check out Google Earth. If Earth weren't enough, you can star-gaze with it too (at mid-day, no less!).

Last edited by elkroeger; 06/08/10 11:21 PM.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3