Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#617411 - 07/12/10 05:35 PM Old Fart is on his way home  
Cary Offline
BMWRT Founder
Cary  Offline
BMWRT Founder

Melbourne, Australia
I Picked up Paul early this morning and delivered him to a wheelchair at Southwest Airlines in Oakland. He should be home tonight safe and sound.

An MOA member from Santa Rosa is taking care of his bike, and it will be shipped back home.

The verdict was broken long bones along the top of his foot. He will be back on the bike in a few weeks!

Best, and I hope everyone has fun at the Rally!

Cary

#617417 - 07/12/10 05:45 PM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Cary]  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
confused Details?

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
#617443 - 07/12/10 07:10 PM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Nice n Easy Rider]  
randy Offline
randy  Offline

Atlanta, Ga, USA
well there are no details so I am going to make it up

Paul was riding along the lOBO pass. He went hot into a decreasing radius right hand turn. As he leaned the bike over, and over and even more over, the top part of Paul's foot hit the payment, and broke that long top bone in his foot

:-)

Atlanta, Ga
2007 Tuono Factory (red) For Sale
2009 BMW 450x Dual sport
2006 SV1000 Randy's track bike
2006 KLX 250x (For sell)
#617445 - 07/12/10 07:18 PM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Cary]  
drswift Offline
drswift  Offline

Grass Valley, CA
Originally Posted By: Cary
The verdict was broken long bones along the top of his foot. He will be back on the bike in a few weeks!

Best, and I hope everyone has fun at the Rally!

Cary

Cary:
Thanks for the update. Fun is being had in great abundance! thumbsup

Dave Swift
'14 R1200GSW "Woody"

#617449 - 07/12/10 07:28 PM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Cary]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Thanks, Cary!

For the rest of the "details", I'm afraid it wasn't all that glamorous . . . . dopeslap

I guess the UnRally wasn't placed FAR enough from Paul's home to be enough of a challenge, so he had ridden from MD to Oregon and was on his way back to Topaz Lake Saturday. He stopped for dinner in Santa Rosa and put his foot down in some deep gravel in the parking lot and dropped the bike on his foot. He was going to continue the next day, but come Sunday morning the swelling was too great to get his foot in his boot, he had my number in his phone so he called me (we were in Lone Pine) as well as a member from the MOA Anonymous Book who along with Cary have been complete angels taking care of Paul. Thanks again, guys! clap

The xrays confirmed a badly broken foot and despite trying to talk Paul into catching a ride to at least say hi at the UnRally, he's in a lot of pain and just wants to go home. As Cary who has been down this road before said, it's very painful and he should stay off of it as much as possible. frown

As much as we'll miss seeing his smiling face, we understand and completely support his choice--health comes first. He says to say "HI!" to everyone and he's already counting the days to UnRally X (TBA). Look for him to be posting as soon as he gets home. wave

. . . and then there were four . . . . wink

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#617538 - 07/13/10 01:39 AM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: KMG_365]  
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt
Kathy R  Offline
PaperButt

Oh drat, Paul broke his UN record streak! And I'm so sorry he's hurting. Grateful he's OK. Nice to see he was well taken care of by all. thumbsup

HUGS to you Paul. wave

#617550 - 07/13/10 02:18 AM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Kathy R]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
OK, I'm home! Right now I should be with you guys and gals having a beer in Topaz Lake. Darn!
The story, Saturday 7/10: Had my Rodeway Inn reserved in Rohnert Park CA, on rt. 101 about 7 miles South of Santa Rosa. As it was early pm I went out for a ride looking for dinner. Found a nice looking place near Sonoma. Had a great Spanish dinner. On the way out (I had only one glass of Sangrķa!) on the bike, pushing it back, my right foot slipped on ball bearing kind of gravel and over it went. Something, probably crash bar, hit my foot. Right away people helped pick up the bike. Looked at the bike, only damage a broken windshield because it hit the bumper of a parked car. My foot hurt a bit but not too much. On the way back to the hotel I stopped and bought a roll of duct tape to fix the windshield. At the hotel I felt my foot really swelling, had a hard time pulling of my boot. No boot, no riding. Forget the windshield.
So I called Jamie because I had his number, but I knew all of you around are getting busy with the Un. So I looked in my BMWMOA Anonymous book, and right there in Rohnert Park, a small place, was a listing from a member with about four lines of the things he can and is willing to do. I called. Right away a superb response. His name is Mike Tibbet. He came in the morning, took me to emergency. Took me to his home where we watched the last football game. At his home on the computer I bought my Southwest ticket to fly home on Monday. Back to my hotel, I took out my bag liner with my clothing, in it's place we packed all my riding gear. He rode my bike to his home, to ride it over to Santa Rosa BMW on Tuesday so I can arrange dealer to dealer freight to get the bike home. What a wonderful guy! In the meantime Cary Littell (founder of BMWRT/ST.com) got in touch. He picked me up this morning and drove me to Oakland airport. A lot of sad conversation about his business. Thank you, Cary! Flight home. A friend and over 10 years work partner, Drew Alexander, took me home from the airport so Maria did not have to do it. Well, I'm home, one week too early.
The foot: First thing, it's a bit swollen, but NO pain! I can walk putting weight only on the heel. X rays show fractured long bones no. 3,4,5 (thumb side is 1), with 4 and 5 seriously displaced. Will probably get some screws, but I really don't want to compete with Selden!
I MISS YOU GUYS!

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#617555 - 07/13/10 02:36 AM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
Tony_K Offline
Tony_K  Offline

Pasadena, CA
Firstly, Glad to see you got home with the help of so many wonderful people! Terrible about the foot. Heal up and you will be right back to it! Just stay way from those damn gravel parking lots!

"Let's face it, life is dangerous - it always ends with death. Might as well enjoy it while you have it." -Paul Mihalka
#617566 - 07/13/10 03:36 AM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
Jacqueline Offline
Jacqueline  Offline

FL, CA & everywhere in between...
I am so sorry you did not get to the UN. I feel bad, you were so close to us in Benicia you could have stayed here with us and I would have made you dinner.... no need to go out looking for a gravel parking lot.

Glad it wasn't worst. Heal quickly....

frown I didn't get MY hug from you.

#617571 - 07/13/10 04:33 AM Re: Old Fart is on his way home [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
Sorry to hear about your accident Paul but glad that it was a "non-moving" one. Heal quickly. We all want to see you at the BRR in September. wave

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6