BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#619595 - 07/21/10 01:16 AM Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN  
johnlt Offline
johnlt  Offline

Green Valley, AZ
One of my riding partners, Marty Mayer, lost his final drive near Sturgis on the way home from the UN/MOA. We attended the UN then rode up the MOA where he and Ted headed east to Cleveland and I went up to Seattle. Got a call from him today and he is at the BMW dealer in Sturgis (thanks to the MOA database of people who are willing to help). Not sure of the outcome but bad ending to a great trip.

johnlt
2009 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2009 Yamaha WR250R
1975 R75/6 (loaned to my son....yeah right!!
#619647 - 07/21/10 05:31 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: johnlt]  
KDeline Offline
KDeline  Offline

Well you can add another final drive as we sit here in Seattle waiting for parts and that is after I replaced a seized drive shaft today.

#619847 - 07/21/10 08:01 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: KDeline]  
Traveler1 Offline
Traveler1  Offline

SF Bay Area
Here's the address of a guy who'x keeping a record of BMW final drive failures.

http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_list.php

You might want to post something there.

Thor

K1200GT
R100GS
R1200GS
Honda Africa Twin (sold)
#619858 - 07/21/10 08:28 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: Traveler1]  
Marty Hill Offline
The Energiser Bunny
Marty Hill  Offline
The Energiser Bunny

Atlanta, Ga.
John and Ken,

Sorry to hear this. Can't believe this crap is still happening to the new bikes.

Marty
49 states/32 countries/3 continents

700GS/white...old age moto

WWMHD...ride till you can't

Semper Paratus
#620334 - 07/23/10 06:09 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: Marty Hill]  
KDeline Offline
KDeline  Offline

Originally Posted By: Marty Hill
John and Ken,

Sorry to hear this. Can't believe this crap is still happening to the new bikes.

Well not so new, but frustrating and expensive, and should not happen to a low mile "Legendary Motorcycle of Germany". At least if I had a Harley there would be a dealer every 5 miles.

#620352 - 07/23/10 11:34 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: KDeline]  
BeniciaRT_GT-GT Offline
The Owl Hunter
Happy Birthday BeniciaRT_GT-GT  Offline
The Owl Hunter

SF Bay Area,Ca. (Benicia)
I'm surprised to hear this... I haven't heard of any other failures... rofl rofl mad

BTW, the laughing isn't about Y'alls failures, just what you might hear from someone else...

Ken, sorry to hear, but how much $$$? Now extended warr.?

Richard
Where will U go next?

Whatever you do, LIVE!!!
#620372 - 07/23/10 01:00 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: BeniciaRT_GT-GT]  
marty mayer Offline
marty mayer  Offline

north jackson ohio
Hello all,

Yea that was me again! Ted and I were on I90 heading east about 40 miles west of Sturgis SD. We were in some road constrction, I radioed Ted that I had a strange vibration, He radioed back that he does too. It's the road surface, I'm thinking hope he is right. Well after getting back on smooth road it got worse by the second. I told Ted either I get off the next exit or I am going to be sitting on the interstate. Got off pulled into a parking lot, got off the bike. The whole rear half of the bike was covered with oil with oil running out of the final drive. Sent Ted to try to find a hotel. Meanwhile started calling numbers in the MOA Anonymous book. 5 calls later got ahold of a very helpful young guy named Jason. He said he would be there in 20 min. with a truck. He showed up, we loaded the bike and he offered to take me to Sturgis BMW about 40 miles away. We went up there, unloaded the bike, I parked it in front of their front door. It was now about midnight. Luckily there was a hotel across the street. They had 1 expensive room left. We took it. I was waiting at their door when they opened the next AM. After explaining my situation, that I was 1400 miles from home. I kinda of thought they would look at it right away. Not the case. The service rep sat there staring at his computer screen, seemed like forever. I thought he was looking up parts. I told him I would happily buy the parts from him if they had them, If not, I have them with me as I have come to know it is only a matter of time before it would fail. Typical of most shops now days they didn't have the parts. But they would install mine. I was very grateful for that. I told him what year it was, he said he's not looking at that but he is looking at their schedule. Finally he said they would look at it in the afternoon. I hung out all day between the dealer and the hotel. They took it in in the afternoon and closed the door behind them. Their service department was kinda of like Fort Knox. Couldn't even get a peak in there. I went back a couple of hours later, They showed me pictures of the inside of my final drive. Don't know if they already had it back together at that point or not. Seemed a little odd. Showed up again at 5:30 asked if it would be done that day. They said they hoped so. They closed at 6:00. Finally was told it was done. The tech was washing it, trying to get the some of the oil off of it. The rear tire looked like it had been soaking in A Armorall all night. I went and bought a bottle of rubbing alcahol,and went to work trying to clean the tire. It helped a little. Since the rear brake pads also had been soaked they pretty much were useless the rest of the way home. Since I had to get the room earlier, before they sold out. I spent the night. Got up early and headed home. 1400 miles 20.5 hours later I was home. When I was sitting there trying to get help I was so mad I said that I am done with BMW. I realize that I am a big guy that carries a pretty heavy load on my bike (camping equip and other things) Maybe that has something to do with with the final drive failures. But I still am not at the max load for that bike. So I don't buy it. It is A design flaw. That crown bearing is not designed to be used in that kind of application. There are alot of Japanese bikes that have more weight, more horsepower. and more weight capacity. I have never heard of a final drive failure. I really like my bike. I have no desire for a different bike. But I don't think I want a bike that I have to carry major repair parts with me in anticipation of failure. It's not a good feeling being stranded 1400 miles from home and having to depend on strangers for help. The only good thing about this where it happened. John, Ted and I spent most of this trip on two lane back roads often without cell phone coverage. If this happened somewhere out there I would probably still be sitting out there. Thanks for letting me rant.

Marty

#620424 - 07/23/10 03:31 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: marty mayer]  
David in Tennessee Offline
Just Joined
David in Tennessee  Offline
Just Joined

Tennessee
Hey Marty...I hate to hear that. Especially scary since I currently ride another brand and am thinking of switching to BMW.

What model bike do you ride and are the final drive failures skewed toward one model verses another?

Drink Coffee! Do stupid things faster and with more energy!
#620468 - 07/23/10 06:10 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: David in Tennessee]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
All the BMWs with the shaft drive are at issue. There are no real numbers out there, but for current generation drives most people think something like 1-5% experience a premature final drive failure. We have had a fair number of folk on this board experience two on the same bike. There have been some attention grabbing clusters, such as 4 failures in the 2007 Iron Butt.

So far we have no reports of injuries associated with these. There was one report of a minor fire, when spilled oil got hot enough to burn. There have been some close calls, folks stopped where they shouldn't ought to be, etc. But mostly it is a time and money issue.

BMW of course warrants bikes to 3/36, and covers final drives beyond this period on a case-by-case "goodwill" basis... e.g. sometimes.

There are a number of failure modes, some involving lubricated parts, and others not. BMW has made several engineering changes but it is not known yet if these will prove effective.

Bikes will need to get to a dealer, wait for inspection, parts and repair. If no weekend or holiday is involved you could be on the road next day, but delays of up to a week are also not uncommon considering how sparsely spread the BMW dealer network is and where folk ride these machines.

Repair costs are typically between $1000 - $2000, however ancillary costs may prove more.

Most of us, obviously, feel the issue is not a show stopper, but it sure rankles. One way to look at it though is that the cost of chains and sprockets might well total more than an occasional FD.

Anyway, plenty of threads here on final drives. Give "search" a try.

Jan

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook
#620595 - 07/24/10 12:37 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: marty mayer]  
johnlt Offline
johnlt  Offline

Green Valley, AZ
Marty, what was the fundamental failure? Was it the bearing? Glad you made it back ok. You almost did a BB1500!! At least our "touring ride" went well. I really enjoyed being part of the group with you. Cheers,

john

johnlt
2009 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2009 Yamaha WR250R
1975 R75/6 (loaned to my son....yeah right!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6