BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#620638 - 07/24/10 03:34 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: johnlt]  
mbelectric Offline
mbelectric  Offline

SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Find it hard to believe a Dealer would send you out the door with an oiled rear tire and junk brakes.

glad ya made it though.

MB>

74 R90S
98 K1200RS
03 1150RT
04 DRZ400
15 1200RTW

......and a Jeep Rubicon

BMWMOA, ABC.
IBEW 332
#620664 - 07/24/10 05:47 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: mbelectric]  
KDeline Offline
KDeline  Offline

Originally Posted By: mbelectric
Find it hard to believe a Dealer would send you out the door with an oiled rear tire and junk brakes.

glad ya made it though.

MB>

I have delt with them in the past, so I can easily believe it.

#620665 - 07/24/10 05:51 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: BeniciaRT_GT-GT]  
KDeline Offline
KDeline  Offline

Originally Posted By: BeniciaRT_GT
I'm surprised to hear this... I haven't heard of any other failures... rofl rofl mad

BTW, the laughing isn't about Y'alls failures, just what you might hear from someone else...

Ken, sorry to hear, but how much $$$? Now extended warr.?

The shaft and bearings with labor has cost us $1700.00, no extended warranty as I never have needed one until these bikes. IMHO you should not need one, it should not fail like this.

#620687 - 07/24/10 12:18 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: KDeline]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Ken,
Perhaps he meant to ask if the repairs carry a warranty on them, which I think it does.
Like FB has said, an extended warranty is worthless, until it is needed.
That decision, is up to each one of us.
Jan is correct.
In some cases, the mileage on the bike at the time of FD failure and the cost to repair is often equivalent to or less than the cost of chains and sprockets.
NOt always.
Belts are different but when this topic came up there were plenty of examples of both failing.
The diff is obviously in the repair and dealership situations.

For many it is not a deal breaker, and I hope we don't have a spate of them.

I've always thought that one of the problems (and granted it should not be) is that in the USA we can motor for hundreds/thousands of miles with a loaded bike, almost non stop.
In Europe, that isn't possible due to road conditions, terrain, borders, etc.
I would like to see data comparing FD failure rates by geographic areas.
Yes, I've heard of low mileage FD failure.
But most of the one's I've known of involve bikes that are "ridden".
Not a criticism of the owner, that is what the bikes are for, just an observation.
Good luck Marty and Ken.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#620697 - 07/24/10 01:19 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: tallman]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
Comment on chain vs. shaft/rear drive: I prefer shaft drive to chain drive, but it is not only a question of money. Chain drive is a known maintenance item. If you replace it on time, usually no more problems. If there is, it is easy/cheap to fix. Shaft/rear drives are not a maintenance item except for oil change. If it fails it is a bad surprise usually in the middle of nowhere.

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#620712 - 07/24/10 02:20 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
marty mayer Offline
marty mayer  Offline

north jackson ohio
David,

To answer your question, In 01 I bought my first BMW a R1100RT.I was getting back into riding and wanted the best bike I could buy. On my way to the first UN the rear drive failed with 25K miles on the bike. I was somewhere neat Limon Co. on a desolate two lane road. Wasn't a a very good feeling. Took about 6 hrs. before I was able to get any help. Finally had the bike towed to a dealer in Colorado Springs. It was still under warranty. Was told it would take a few days to get the parts and repair it. I rented a car and went to the UN. Upon getting the bike home the rear drive had considerable lateral slop in it. Took it to a dealer near home and was told they don't repair them they replace them. After a several week fiasco it was finally fixed. At the point I kinda lost confidence in that bike and traded it in on a 04 GS1150 Adventure. Actually thought I got a good one this time. Other than several stick coil failures. I never even had and sign of impending rear drive failure. I change the rear drive oil every time I change oil just to see the drainplug magnet. It was always clean. My bike had about 71K miles on it before this trip. In anticipation of going to the Un this year I actually bought a new crown bearing, seal and o ring just to have with me. Shouldn't have to carry major repair parts in anticipation of failure. As you read above it ended up being needed. Also now days at least to me it seems that most dealers stock very few parts. The dealer in Sturgis didn't have them, luckily I did. I might still be there waiting on parts.

John,
In answer to your question. It was the large crown bearing. The cage came apart in it. I brought it home with me.

Marty

#620858 - 07/25/10 05:00 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: tallman]  
KDeline Offline
KDeline  Offline

The thing is, I don't consider the bike loaded with just my gear on it and no passenger, maybe BMW has a different take on that.

#620881 - 07/25/10 01:19 PM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
hANNAbONE Offline
hANNAbONE  Offline

Versailles, Indiana
Originally Posted By: Paul Mihalka
Shaft/rear drives are not a maintenance item except for oil change. If it fails it is a bad surprise usually in the middle of nowhere.

pAUL - thank you for this...but something greatly troubles me when BMW, in its ignorance, didn't even put a rear drive drain plug in my '07 K12R.sport...and all the other RT's and such from '05 to '06 to '07 I believe.

I couldn't agree more that they need proper oiling/oil changes. But the BS that BMW shovels us for 3 years and then goes back to normal drain plugs in everything makes me wanna move to the next manufacturer.

After all these rear drives going south - and then to complicate it by telling the public, "they don't need the oil changed in the rear drives - we don't need no steekin' drain plug" ... well, it makes me wonder what other internals have they done to short change the public.

It just doesn't make sense to me...and I thought about it all the way home in the heat of Nevada.

MHO only.

h A N N A b O N E
.F.O.G.Member & Friend of Signman & Paul Mihalka

2012 Black Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere'
Versailles, Windy-Anna
#621055 - 07/26/10 01:41 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: KDeline]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Originally Posted By: KDeline
The thing is, I don't consider the bike loaded with just my gear on it and no passenger, maybe BMW has a different take on that.

Ken,
I agree.
What I mean by loaded is the bike has bags and extra gear on it, not that it exceeds the carrying capacity.
I think it has more to do with duration of the rides and cumulative miles under those conditions, not total miles, for the bikes that fail and that is why some go with low miles and some with high miles and most don't fail.
No rhyme or reason to point at a particular year/moodel.
Hope your trip still ends well.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#621094 - 07/26/10 04:15 AM Re: Another final drive trashed on the way home from the UN [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
CoarsegoldKid Offline
CoarsegoldKid  Offline

Coarsegold, Ca, USA
Paul, Tim, and others that work at BMW shops. Do your parts departments carry at least one of the appropriate part sets needed to affect a repair to the FD without requiring an overnight delivery? And one more question. How may failures have your shops seen on these bikes?

Joe

'05 R1200RT 109K miles, takes me down the highway.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R 16K miles takes me through the woods.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6