Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#633940 - 09/08/10 01:00 AM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: eddd]  
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt
Kathy R  Offline
PaperButt

Mitch, This is a first rate ride tale. Thank you very much for sharing. thumbsup

If this place is still there it's worth a stop. National Motorcycle Museum

I can vouch for the Sparta-Elroy bike trail. I did 35 miles of it one fine morning. It was the most memorable ride of my life, thus far.

#634359 - 09/09/10 01:54 PM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Mike Offline
Administrator
Mike  Offline

Administrator

Chicago area, IL, USA
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
Originally Posted By: Twisties
Are there enough of those nice roads for an UN?

It's not out of the question. I think the entire area of SW Wisconsin (everything circled in blue on the map below) is pretty much like what I was describing: valleys, bluffs, and tons of scenic, twisty roads with good pavement. Do like I did - stay off the main highways, stick to the lettered county roads - and you're just about guaranteed a good time.

I'll have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind. The area isn't as spectacular--as in Rocky Mountain Spectacular--as some, but I'd rank it among the very best riding areas in the U.S. Really, the roads are stunningly good. There are quite a few camping and hotel options, and an abundance of worthy sites to visit within a pretty reasonable radius. If anyone is interested in hosting/organizing in the future, I'd urge you to contact Les.

Mike The Moderator
Born to be Mild
#634483 - 09/09/10 06:48 PM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: Mike]  
eddd Offline
eddd  Offline

Hurricane, UT
Originally Posted By: Mike

It's not out of the question. I think the entire area of SW Wisconsin (everything circled in blue on the map below) is pretty much like what I was describing: valleys, bluffs, and tons of scenic, twisty roads with good pavement. Do like I did - stay off the main highways, stick to the lettered county roads - and you're just about guaranteed a good time.

I'll have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind. The area isn't as spectacular--as in Rocky Mountain Spectacular--as some, but I'd rank it among the very best riding areas in the U.S. Really, the roads are stunningly good. There are quite a few camping and hotel options, and an abundance of worthy sites to visit within a pretty reasonable radius. If anyone is interested in hosting/organizing in the future, I'd urge you to contact Les.

Thanks Mike. I just sent Les a PM telling her that you are ready to take on the task. wave

12 Kawasaki EX650
13 Yamaha XT250
16 KTM RC 390
96 R1100RT - forced retirement at 175,000

#634613 - 09/10/10 01:31 AM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: eddd]  
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt
Kathy R  Offline
PaperButt

I second Mike's nomination. lurk

I'd love to ride that area again. Lot's of fond early riding memories. The Big Muddy. Sweet little towns. smile

#634666 - 09/10/10 03:08 AM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: Kathy R]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
Originally Posted By: Kathy R
I second Mike's nomination. lurk

I'd love to ride that area again. Lot's of fond early riding memories. The Big Muddy. Sweet little towns. smile

Do we do thirds? I'll be IN if it happens! Sounds absolutely perfect.

Jan

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook
#634701 - 09/10/10 10:18 AM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: Twisties]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
This will teach Mike to shut his mouth - or sit on his fingers! rofl

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#634909 - 09/10/10 09:05 PM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: Mike]  
questrider Offline
questrider  Offline

Northern Illinois
First off, that was fantastic ride tale. Mitch, you always fill your tales with lots of details as well as throwing some historical or background information in there. Excellent!

Originally Posted By: Mike

I ride this area quite a bit for weekend trips because it's all I've got for my surrogate backyard! A while ago I tried to gather some interest in perhaps planning a rider's weekend getaway in this area:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39750&Number=432123

And there were a few nibbles but the dates polled weren't in agreement and after talking with the motel owner I conceded there wasn't enough interest to block rooms so the dream died.

It is a fantastic area and Mitch's ride tale illustrated this well. The beauty of it is that it's only the tip of the iceberg and there are literally hundreds of little twisty roads all over this area.

#635292 - 09/12/10 05:33 PM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: Kathy R]  
JayW Offline
JayW  Offline

Western NC
Outstanding Mitch thumbsup - Your effort is a Ride Tale model of information, inspiration and entertainment.

#635304 - 09/12/10 07:04 PM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: JayW]  
Quinn Offline
Quinn  Offline

Durham, NC
Originally Posted By: JayW
Outstanding Mitch thumbsup - Your effort is a Ride Tale model of information, inspiration and entertainment.

I had a little trouble viewing the footnotes and bibliography. Mitch has now set the bar so high that I'm going to have to enclude a diorama for extra credit in my next ride tale.

---

Maybe a chicken is just an egg's way of making more eggs.
#635624 - 09/13/10 11:43 PM Re: Dances With Cows [Re: Quinn]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
Your ride tales kick ass.

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike