BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#640767 - 09/30/10 03:51 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!

Loc: Friendsville, TN

After two days on the road in the truck and two long days in the saddle we were pretty tired and slept a little longer that we should have. The Kiwi crew were done with breakfast as we walked in to get some, so they were off a bit earlier. Todayís route includes a big bike bypass for those not wanting to partake of the 5 mile deep sand/ rocky single track buffet. We were beat and were strongly considering it. We packed back up and hit the trail again figuring we would push some miles out the back and decide when we got to the cut off for the bypass. Just a few miles of Nevada so far, but I could tell I was going to like it.

It took a little while to get on the right track, but eventually we were underway and on the purple line again. Sometimes it was as if someone snapped a chalk line to lay out the roads, straight out to the horizon.

Another mountain reeled in and soon to be in the mirror.

Hey, we are close to Atlanta! Sure doesnít seem like it.

Somewhere along this fence line a gate leads to the bypass. We ride past it. What the hell, letís give it a try. We can always turn aroundÖ

We hit a few patches of pretty deep sand at the end of the fence line and come to an arroyo that cannot be crossed. Tracks everywhere. Finally we realize we missed a turn a few hundred yards back and we are back on the trail. The trail narrows and our bark busters start earning their keep. The sand isnít too bad and the section proves to be one of the most fun stretches yet. Not quite single track, but not double either.

As we climb an off camber rise my stomach starts growling and for the first time that day we are in an area with a little shade here and there. Time for a break and a protein bar. Todd doesnít argue. We discuss how much fun the last few miles have been and are both happy we chose to bypass the bypass.

Time for some more mountain fishing, so we start reeling this one in.

Seeya

The big guy checking the gps on patterson pass

More hills and valleys await us.

We havenít seen anyone for about 6 hours, not even a dust cloud.

Another one to reel in.

And then climb it.

And go down the other side. Good stuff in here.

And another target comes in to view. Ride, climb, ride, climb, repeatÖ

I wondered how close we were to anything. Hmm, letís ask Emily in the box where the nearest fuel is! Guess I best not puncture my tank.

The shadows are growing again and the gps keeps saying we have a long long way to go.

It was near here that I swear someone shot a pronghorn antelope out of a cannon right in front of me. Good god those things are fast. It ran across the road about 50 yards in front of me full speed.

I started trying to wick it up a little. We had miles to go and the sun was sinking fast. The trail was getting harder to follow and Emily was telling me it would be close to 11pm by the time we got to Eureka. Sheís been wrong out here a lot, but the temps and the sun are both dropping. I started looking for ways on the gps to get out of the desert and on to a more significant road, but there just didnít seem to be any.

We eventually ended up on a more traveled road and encountered some sort of DOT or power company service trucks. However, the road was much worse than the trail and included deep silt beds up to about 2í deep where the big trucks had beaten the earth in to talcum powder. Oh yeah, and it was now dark. A beautiful time to be camping in the desert, but not riding in it. We had no camping gear anyway. The sky was full of stars as the last wisps of sunlight disappeared. Emily showed about 8 miles of silt bed to the next road, and maybe another 15 or so to Eureka. Man that shower is going to feel good!

Finally we hit the highway and ride in to Eureka. Itís a small town with a main drag that is under construction. There are two hotel signs, both with that hateful No Vacancy sign illuminated. DAMNIT!

I noticed some big license plates on some bikes on the side of the road in the middle of town and 3 blokes standing by them. It is Dave, Tim and String, so we pull in to see where they are staying. Apparently they were behind the guy that got the last room at the last hotel. Ms Garmin informs me that the nearest lodging is about 50 miles away!

I started thinking about last years trip and the begging I did to get a hotel manager to let us sleep on lawn chairs by the indoor pool. She ended up letting us stay on rollaways in a conference room.

Big T whips out his Ipad and starts looking for some wifi we can leach and finds it, so a web search ensues. There is a b&b in town but no ones cell phone seems to work. I got mine out and turned it on and had a signal. I dialed the Eureka Bed and Breakfast, just a couple of blocks away.
Mary: Hello, Eureka B&B.
Me: Do you have any room tonight?
Mary: Yes, how many do you have, we have two beds?
Me: Five guys.
Mary: You have the house to yourselves, so some could sleep on the floor.
Me: Weíll take it.
Mary: Give me a few minutes to change clothes, Iíve been working in the yard and Iím filthy.
Me: Lady, you have no idea what filthy looks like, but you will in a few minutes.

We arrived to find a quite charming old house on a hill overlooking downtown Eureka and what turned out to be one of the best lodging experiences of the trip. The Kiwis graciously let me and Todd have the beds since they had sleep pads and bags. They took the large living room. I walked to town and got some cold refreshment while everyone showered and we settled in, ecstatic to not be sleeping on the desert floor. The lodging gods had smiled upon us again. By the way, breakfast the next morning was superb too!

If you find yourself in Eureka NV looking for lodging, give Mary a call.

Here we are on the steps the next morning, wishing we could stay there again but anxious to see what would unfurl before us this day. The front row is Dave, String, and Tim.

#640799 - 09/30/10 11:44 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]
big-t Offline
big-hearted

Loc: roanoke.va

A couple more shots before I start on the next day.

If you are ever in Eureka for the night...this is much better than a motel and the breakfast Mary served was first class.

Our host,Mary along with Kenny,String and Tim

74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
07 KTM 990 Adv
08 Yamaha WR250R
13 Husky Terra
AMA Charter Life Member

#640802 - 09/30/10 12:05 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]
big-t Offline
big-hearted

One more,

I never bothered to take any pics of the sand/silt ruts we were often in>Too busy trying to hang on. Nasty stuff and there is no way to get around them.We would often be in these for miles and believe me....THEY SUCK ... I tested the soil compaction factor several times.. tongue

I found this pic of some of ruts,posted by "Catastrophic Failure" on the ADV site

74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
07 KTM 990 Adv
08 Yamaha WR250R
13 Husky Terra
AMA Charter Life Member

#640807 - 09/30/10 12:26 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]
big-t Offline
big-hearted

Day 4 Eureka to Battle Mountain NV

No need to look at the GPS here.

Here comes Kenny

Hard to believe,when I shut the bike off,out here in the middle of nowhere,my cell phone starts to ring.Who would think there was any signal here.

Not all the obstacles in the desert are man made...lol I made sure to miss this one

..and no,this isn't a pee stop....that was from the tank overflow tube,just picked the bike up.after losing it in a rut.

Did I mention ďI DONĒT LIKE RIDING IN THE SANDĒ

Passed thru several ranches.Common courtesy dictates you slow to a walk as the road usually goes in between the house and barns.

..and the trail goes on.

Caught up with the Kiwi's while they were taking a break.

..and smelled something burning.Saddlebag got jammed against the muffler in the last spill

Mine tailings and equipment from many years ago are scattered along the trail

Kenny off on another side trip.

The Rock formations along this section are awesome

If you look closely at the upper center of this pic,the black spots are range cattle grazing on the side of that mountain.They are along ways up and just on a very narrow footpath.One misstep would have resulted in death.

I'm thinking this shirt is used up...Although I never wore it,the protection it provided between the muffler and my I-pad was worth the expense.

74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
07 KTM 990 Adv
08 Yamaha WR250R
13 Husky Terra
AMA Charter Life Member

#640817 - 09/30/10 01:13 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]
TEWKS Offline

Loc: Tewksbury, MA.
Wow, Someday!! thumbsup Thanks for the inspiration guys!

Pat

#641125 - 10/01/10 02:27 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: TEWKS]
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!

Loc: Friendsville, TN

Not as many pictures today. Though not constant, there were quite long stretches of silt that commanded all of our attention. The valley/mountain pattern continued as we made our way toward Battle Mountain, a small town right on I80.

It is impossible to take this path without thinking about the resolve, courage and stamina of the people who crossed this country on foot, horseback or in a wagon years ago. I couldnít get it out of my mind. There had to be thousands that died during the effort, not due to foul play or Indian attack but simply starvation, dehydration, or just being hopelessly lost in the vastness of it all. Hearty souls indeed. It must have been an incredible sight then, it sure is now. And it just keeps on going and going.

Todd and the wr approaching.

There are a few water crossings here and there, but the territory someone would have to cover to find them on foot or horseback could take days. I canít get it in my head how they could have made it 200 years ago.

Today would be a shorter day thankfully, but the scenery and weather did not disappoint.

Jeep and dirtbike heaven out here.

We met a couple of guys on xr650 hondas from Louisiana who had also struggled in the silt a bit. They were camping a good bit and riding a fast pace so we didnít see them again. Hope they made it ok.

We followed a creek for a while through this narrow valley which was really nice.

As we approached Battle Mountain I missed a turn and went straight in to town. Todd didnít miss it, and was rewarded with a few more miles of silt. After a few text messages and phone calls, we finally got back together in town and found String and the boys. I decided to do a little bike maintenance since we got in to town with some extra time. A fresh air filter, chain adjustment/lube, and some other minor tasks were tended to. After a shower and throwing a load in the washer, we walked to a nearby steakhouse for some grub and a beer or 3. It was good to be able to recharge a little and we would need the energy tomorrow.

#641163 - 10/01/10 04:23 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]
Twisties Offline
Boots

Loc: Brookings, OR

Totally awesome! smile

Man, you rode those ruts in the dark? Wow!

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook

#641194 - 10/01/10 10:23 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]
RightSpin Offline

Loc: South GA Mountains
This is a really great ride report guys. Thanks for posting so many pictures and commenting on what you were seeing with them. You two are definately living the life! thumbsup

2016 BMW R1200GS
2003 KTM 625SXC (for sale)
1981 BMW R100CS

#641217 - 10/01/10 12:12 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: RightSpin]
big-t Offline
big-hearted

TAT Day 5

Battle Mountain to Fort McDermitt

More sandy trails and I'm taking it easy.One of the sand rut crashes left my ribs a bit sore.Could have been the end of the trip,but fortunately they don't hurt while riding....only while laying down...Thumbs up for Oxycodone... clap

Kenny graciously gets the gate for the old guy.

Very rare to even see anyone out here but there was some life here

..and the trail goes on.

Caught up with the Kiwi's again.They are waiting for the old guy to put up the camera and git thru the gate. grin

And they depart while we take a break and wait for the dust to settle

Imagine being a non motorcyclist and running into this guy in the middle of the desert lol

Its Rob from the ADV board.He caught up with us and we all took a short break at the Homestead.

He cleans up pretty good without the spacesuit.

Kenny and Rob at the Homestead.

The Homestead is an abandoned Ranch in the desert.Lovely setting with a stream and one very large old cottonwood.I could imagine living here.

The view from the front of the ranch

Its seen better days

Your two studly adventurers ... rofl

A look back as we leave

Out the gate and hang a right and this greets us

..for a ways

Its me !

This is one of Rob's pics.I had explained to him that I was taking it easy after a couple hard crashes in the sand ruts.His reply wasĒThe Tortoise always wins anyway .Twenty minutes later he came by me for the second time(he missed a turn)and promptly crashed after catching a rock the wrong way.He took the picture as I pulled up and said.....I told you the Tortoise always wins.... grin

Felt good to not be the one crashing

Rob went ahead and later on showed us a hot spring

with a camping spot and hot tub that was just filling as he had hooked up the hoses just before we got there.

Moving along,the sky is beautiful.

Kenny coming down Coyote Mountain.

Very remote here,break a leg or a bike,your going to be here for quite a while.Ride carefully

The road goes on

The rugged beauty of the land is just breathtaking.

Getting close to civilization again.You can see it at the top of the pic and Kenny on the road below.

What a day !!

I know Kenny has some good pics of this area..
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
07 KTM 990 Adv
08 Yamaha WR250R
13 Husky Terra
AMA Charter Life Member

#641224 - 10/01/10 12:39 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]
John Ranalletta Offline

Ken/Todd...thanks for taking this couch potato along.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike