Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#641681 - 10/03/10 02:59 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Whip]  
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!
Kenny Haynes  Offline
Captain Underpants!

Friendsville, TN
It is getting late in the day and we still have a lot of ground to cover. We opt to alter the route a little to get us in to Lakeview at a decent hour and it turns out to be a good decision.
We have crossed in to Oregon a few times today and now we are there to stay.

This is the weekend of the county fair and all the lodging in Lakeview is booked up. The previous night we had called Mark to ask him to search for lodging options for Lakeview, but we didnít book anything. We didn't know about the fair then. The next town with hotels is 70 miles in the wrong direction. Finally, we find a place in town. The proprietor tells me on the phone they only have 1 room left. I tell him we are looking for two beds. He says we can have a room with two beds or one with a king. Huh? We take it and find that the room that is normally about 50 a night will cost us 150.
After we unload, we find Tim, Dave and String are checking in to the other room that was the only room left. I believe that was the last room in town.

No pics from dinner that night, but we found a decent Mexican place nearby. The food was good, and alcohol may have been involved. Night time temps were definitely getting lower too.

The prospect of riding big miles out of the way for lodging while being utterly exhausted appealed to none of us. From that point forward, we searched for motel options and I called and made a reservation for the next night each morning. We shared that information with String and they followed suit. It made for a less stressful day knowing we had place each night.

#641696 - 10/03/10 04:21 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va

Day 7

Lakeview to Gilchrist Oregon

Trees,trees and more trees .WOW ! This is so different.

Found an old homestead or camp of some kind and looked it over.

What big Ö...Trees

Nice riding

Funny looking tree

We are already bored on the nice roads so lets take a side loop that the gps shows...

Kennys off and running

Great scenery

Road hasn't seen much use lately,but my gps shows it connecting with the trail...

Hmmm! Kenny says we are done here,but I insist,my gps shows this road connecting with the trail just ahead..

I rode thru it another hundred yards before hitting a dead end.......Damn gps.. dopeslap

No problem,I'll find something else to do..

...and there are still gates eek

This is the turn but my snowmobile is at home

Beautiful country

The roads turn red..

Stopped on this bridge for a break

A little ways later we rode this powerline for about 5 miles,a great place to test your suspension.

..and then this abandoned railroad bed for about 20 miles. Squirrely is not a good enough term for riding on those cinders

Some nice road for a bit

..and another little detour..lol

Oops ! There may be a bit of a problem

No big deal.... ...

Crossing the big log I positioned myself to Kennys right where I thought I would be able grab his right bark buster in case there was a problem.Once your front wheel climbs the log your feet are a long way from the ground and there is no way to support yourself.The top of that 2nd log was about 2 feet off the ground.The bike lurched left and found myself grabbing thin air instead of Kenny's handlebars......Sorry Kenny .. tongue

Into Silver lake for gas,.....duh, they are closed on the weekend.Oh well,Kenny checks out the local motel and decides we need to keep riding.

Damn,I thought we left that stupid silt and sand in Nevada..

This is better......less chance of busting my arse here than in the sand.

After getting ripped at an El cheapo motel in Lakeview,the fair was in town.We scored some pretty good accommodations in Gilchrist.

Sure missed Mark....We has to pay instead of using his free points.... grin

Next morning when we filled up I only had 1/10 of a gallon left in my tank.....Thats too close for comfort

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#641703 - 10/03/10 05:38 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]  
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!
Kenny Haynes  Offline
Captain Underpants!

Friendsville, TN
Not far in to Oregon the terrain became distinctly different, with more large trees and just more green everywhere. We would be days in the forest.

Lotís of fun places to play here, but the gps gets confused on what goes through and what doesnít.

Another self timer shot. Though still working, I broke the display on my camera back in Utah. Though the pics all look like there are ufoís in the frame on the display, luckily they turned out ok once uploaded. Gotta get it fixed now.

Do these bags make my butt look big?

Similar to Nevada here, but more green. The silt is back too.

We eventually get in to a little tighter sandy two track with really fun berms and trees right on the side of the trail. Very nice.

The shadows are getting long again and the temp starts dropping in the shaded areas. I had fun blasting through here and only later thought about how stupid that was. Late in the day more critters are out, and we were lucky that none chose to intersect our path. Perhaps the animals had heard about Todd the deerslayer.

My jacket vents got closed somewhere around here. We were wondering if it would be another after dark arrival.

The Gilchrist Inn was our home for the night. It is a fantastic place to stay. If we had time, it would have been nice to spend a few days here. Our unit was about 1400 sq ft and included a fine living room, two separate bedrooms and a full kitchen. In Lakeview we had met two fellow tat travelers from New Mexico who got the tip on lodging, so there were 7 of us at the Inn. It apparently was a logging company crew lodge at some point, now converted as an inn. There is a very cool restaurant/tavern close and the food was awesome there. The proprietor was also a very interesting fellow.

It really got cold that night. May be we should stay a little longerÖ

#641903 - 10/04/10 12:39 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va
Day 8

Gilchrist to Canyonlands Oregon

Awesome accommodations last night

I love traveling rural America,the people you meet are great.Our host at the Gilchrist Inn knew we would be in late and called the local restaurant/bar/bowling alley/tourist center(about 100 yards away) and told him we would be late and needing something to eat.
The owner and the cook stayed late and prepared an excellent meal for us,followed with some good conversation and spirits and provided us with free Oregon Maps,a tour of his 2 lane bowling alley in the back of the bar and a free shot glass for everyone to remember the place.......just awesome

Seven days of desert temps and we wake up to 32 degrees.... tongue

I had a pair of longhandle bottoms but the the top had got toasted in the saddle bag,so I put on 2 shirts and picked up a set of leather gloves to replace the vented ones I had been wearing,but knew there would be issues with my hands as they have been giving me troubles in the cold for several years.

At least the roads and scenery were nice

Stopping again to warm my hands on the exhaust

Stopping gave the Kiwis a chance to catch up.They got a late start this morning.

Kenny browsing the forest while I'm warming my hands.He is getting used to waiting on me...lol

Awesome country

Whatta think....is Kenny happy ?

At this point he is probably happy the temps have climbed up enough and I don't have to stop and warm my hands every 5 minutes...lol.....or maybe its because we are headed off the trail for a side trip.

Since Kenny has never seen it and we are only 20 miles away...We are headed to Crater lake...

Climbing to the lake we see snow,still on the ground from last winter and its now September and my hands are getting cold...

Last time I was here,we crested the mountain and the view of the lake took your breath away.This year was no different.

Looking down into the lake the blue water is beautiful

Your two studly adventurers again,both sporting classic Arai XD3 haircuts... rofl

Moving along we head south to pick up a road north that will take us back to the trail and pass the Rogue River.

OK,enough of the tourist crap,back to the trail

Back into the woods...

What a beautiful place,the trees are amazing and we are searching for a special one.

I think we found it

Yep,this is it.

I know Kenny has better pic of him by the tree,maybe he will post it?

I'm not bashful....Glad the forest warden didn't show up.. wink

Now I'm thinking who went out and measured the other 5 million trees ..I guess that was on my mind as I took off in the lead and went 20 miles in the wrong direction before I noticed something was wrong.I was having fun.

Well,at least we got to ride the 20 miles we missed going to Crater Lake.lol

At the end of the day after 12 hours in the saddle and 10 miles from the motel,Sam throws a curve.A very nasty,rocky climb up the mountain,that caught us by suprise.Anyway we made it,sorry no pics.We were extremly busy hanging on...lol

[

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#641912 - 10/04/10 01:12 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
Amazing ride you two guys did and beautiful pictures! It should be made int a movie, except you guys did not have two TV trucks behind you like the "Long Way Round" did...

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#642148 - 10/05/10 02:29 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!
Kenny Haynes  Offline
Captain Underpants!

Friendsville, TN

A cold but gorgeous start for today as Todd mentioned. He wasnít the only one benefiting from the stops to warm up, I was cold too. Wish I had brought a fishing rod.

We stopped for a break and a look around the forest. Before long, Dave caught up to us soon followed by Tim and String.

I think everyone was enjoying the sunshine and the lack of wind for a little while. We were all headed for Crater Lake today, it was just too close to miss. If we stay here and chat for a while it will warm up a little though.

A few more miles of this and we are on the tarmac headed for the park.

A sign referred to this as a red pumice desert. Part of the desert in the park were covered with up to 200 feet of it by the explosion of Mt Mazama. Iím guessing if you had been there then it would have ruined your day.

The views are worth the time to get here, and I am grateful that Todd didnít mind going again.

No pic, but while we were there an old gooney bird (dc3) flew over. Apparently they use one as a tourist bus. Gotta go back and fly in that sometime. It would also be nice to take a boat out on the lake sometime, but we had some miles to cover so we didnít stay too long.

We passed by the Rogue river on our way back in to the forest. The river cut a canyon through the pumice deposited by the explosion of Mt. Mazama about 8000 years ago when Todd and I were kids.

Soon we were back on some really nice forest roads. There are tons of motorcycle/atv trails in this area as well.

Another amazing day in the making. Miles and miles of this stuff.

Another shot or two around the big tree. It too was worth the ride.

The big climb Todd mentioned was photo worthy, but I failed to take a picture there as well. The trail was one of those that was fairly level then took a 90 degree turn up a very steep hill covered in loose rock. No way to carry any momentum, so mining what traction was available was key to getting up. The next several miles were in and out of the canopy of the forest and very nice. I started thinking about critters again. At a gas stop earlier in the day the store keeper showed us a picture of a 650lb bear that had recently been killed about 250í from the store, and he said there were a lot of cougars in the area. Letís keep moving shall we?

Soon we were on I5 heading up to Canyonville to the motel. The 450 is not a very good bike for I5, but we only had a few miles to go.

We made it to the hotel in Canyonville in time to see our riding buddies tending to their bikes and getting ready to head to dinner. We unloaded, caught a quick shower and went with them for a bite. Another amazing day in Oregon. We had a great meal together, but all of us were thinking the same thing. One day left and it is done. It is exciting to think about finishing the goal with no bones sticking out anywhere, but sad to be approaching the end. We lingered in the restaurant, reluctant to give in to the clock.

#642190 - 10/05/10 05:57 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
You two just aren't having any fun are you. smile

Again, epic!

Bill

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650
#642217 - 10/05/10 12:00 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: roadscholar]  
Albert Offline
Albert  Offline

Southwestern, PA, USA
Just amazing Kenny. Thanks for taking the time to put all this together.

Al (that's not my picture!)
06 RT

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway
#642293 - 10/05/10 02:54 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: roadscholar]  
big-t Offline
big-hearted
big-t  Offline
big-hearted

roanoke.va
Day 9

Canyonlands to Port Orford Oregon.

Last day on the trail starts good .

I'm enjoying it

Remember the cowboy's remark in Denio Junction a few says ago about hurrying up as there were storms a brewing...How did he know..?

We see it now

The loggers are active here

One of the things that made Oregon difficult was the maze of roads from logging over the last 100 years'

Look closely and you can see Kenny turning around at a deadend.

This is better,but it was probably the last 2 track section

The roads just get better from here on out.

and finally a narrow paved road,that takes us the last few miles.

With a few indicators of how life was many years ago.

The rain was coming down giving the WR a much needed bath

We made it....I had expectations of being able to see the sun shining over the Pacific as we descended out of the hills,but not this day with the overhanging clouds and rain.

We rode the pedestrian walkway down onto the beach and posed for the final trip pics in the cold rain.I could hardly see thru my glasses and my hands were cold and wet which caused me to drop my camera in the sand and the whole time wondering if we were going to get busted... eek

It was a bittersweet moment.I was glad to have finished my 3 year,5k mile ride,but also realizing it was over.....all the planning,obstacles and time were finished.Nothing to do but go home.

As we pulled off the beach I made a note of the total Gps mileage. 1652 miles of adventure in the dirt..WOW clap

A big thanks to Kenny for sharing this adventure with me.It would have been a damn tough trip without him!

This will be a tough one to top......Where to next...

big-t
Roanoke,va
96 R1100RT(gone)
74 R90 S(in parts)
09 KTM 530 EXE
17 KTM 1090r
17 Husqvarna 701e

AMA Charter Life Member
#642305 - 10/05/10 03:23 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]  
Stan Walker Offline
Stan Walker  Offline

I miss Colorado
WOW!!!!!!

Where do I start! Where do I find info on planning this route!

Stan

Stan Walker
Simi Valley, CA
'02 R1150RT, '15 F800GT, '15 F700GS, '99 F650 (for sale)
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike