Topic Options
#642422 - 10/05/10 08:47 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: big-t]
roadscholar Offline

Loc: N. Fla.
Originally Posted By: big-t
Day 9

Canyonlands to Port Orford Oregon.

Last day on the trail starts good .

We made it....I had expectations of being able to see the sun shining over the Pacific as we descended out of the hills,but not this day with the overhanging clouds and rain.

We rode the pedestrian walkway down onto the beach and posed for the final trip pics in the cold rain.I could hardly see thru my glasses and my hands were cold and wet which caused me to drop my camera in the sand and the whole time wondering if we were going to get busted... eek

It was a bittersweet moment.I was glad to have finished my 3 year,5k mile ride,but also realizing it was over.....all the planning,obstacles and time were finished.Nothing to do but go home.

Congratulations big-t, you're the man. thumbsup

What an adventure and accomplishment. And Kenny too for helping you realize it. Most of us know it but you guys have reminded us what a big beautiful country this is, especially when you get off the beaten path. The tale and many of the photos were outstanding, hate to see it end. I know I'll be referring back to it.

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

#642463 - 10/05/10 11:22 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: roadscholar]
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt

I sure wish there was a Day 10, etc. I've thoroughly enjoyed your entire tale. Epic, is the word for it.

No doubt your memories of this accomplishment will warm you for the rest of your days.

Where are you going next year? lurk

#642500 - 10/06/10 01:42 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kathy R]
azkaisr Offline

Loc: Arizona
UBER WORTHY
05 R1200 GS Sold
07 K1200 GT
02 R1150 GS

#642510 - 10/06/10 02:33 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kathy R]
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!

Loc: Friendsville, TN
The last day came.

Iím not sure exactly why, but I didnít take too many pictures along the way that morning so Iím glad Todd got a few. He made the mistake of listening to me at an intersection or two and I got us lost pretty good, but the roads we were lost on were a lot of fun. In some areas we were under the canopy and deep enough in the valleys to lose satellite reception, so I guess it is no wonder that the gps got a little confused.
We had been very lucky so far suffering from no mechanical issues whatsoever and no flat tires. However, in the last day or so my bike would not start with the magic button intermittently, and I had to kick it a few times. That got progressively worse on this day, but I didnít take the time to research the problem. The bike came with a lifetime guarantee from the previous owner, so I figured I would drop it off in Nashville on the way home to get it repaired ;-) For short stops, I just left it running.

It started looking like we were going to get wet while we were on one of my wild goose chases down a logging road.

The temperature started dropping a bit too as we worked our way further west. We kept expecting to see the ocean way off in the distance, but the further west we went the cloudier it got and eventually a light but steady rain began.

Finally we could see the ocean on the gps when I zoomed out a bit. We plodded along and before long found ourselves leaving the dirt behind for the last time.

As we came in to Port Orford, we noticed those big license plates again on the side of the road. The NZ guys had gotten the obligatory photos and stopped for lunch on their way back from the beach. We stopped and said goodbye as they headed north to Coos Bay for fresh tires. Then it was off to the beach in the rain for our photo session. We had done it, WOOHOO!

I thought the beach would be larger here after seeing pictures others had posted. The rain put a little damper on things, but it did feel good to get here.

Todd looked cold, and it seemed like the rain was picking up a little.

A gust of wind came up and blew my bike over about the time Todd dropped his camera. My helmet landed on itís top and was now covered with sand. Sadly it was time to get out of there. Too bad the weather wasnít a little nicer, but we canít complain. We hit a gas station for fuel and to rinse some of the sand off of ourselves and the bikes. Then we had 60 miles of fairly hard steady rain to Coos Bay to begin the journey home. Thanks to Big T for being such a good travel companion and inviting me along. What a trip it was!

A word about ride tales.
For years I have read tales on this board and on advrider that have cultivated a desire to get off the couch and get out there. There are many. One that caught my eye early on was David and Billís Mexican adventure here. I remember reading that and thinking I would probably never get to experience anything like that. A year or so later David invited me along on a similar trip to Copper Canyon, this time on dual sport bikes. I fear I have since become addicted to these types of rides.

One of the highlights of these rides is the documentation of the vacation in this kind of tale, which allows one to relive the ride in a way that for me is better than a photo album mostly because it can be shared with family and friends more easily.

Another friend wrote a tale on adv a few years ago about traveling the tat. It really got me interested in doing this trip and others. I read it again several times in preparation for this trip and even while we were on it. It really enhanced the experience and gave me an idea of what to expect in the desert.

Thanks again to those of you who have taken the time to read and/or comment on the tale. It is gratifying to know that some have enjoyed our ramblings. Maybe some wanderlust will spread as a result. I know Iím ready to go again.

#642511 - 10/06/10 02:40 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kathy R]
Kenny Haynes Offline
Captain Underpants!

Loc: Friendsville, TN
Hey Kathy, no solid plan for next year at this point. A number of options are being considered. I'm thinking about another baja adventure this winter, but we shall see.

Days 10 and 11 yeilded some photos that might make in in to the tale even though we were done with the trail.

Hope you and Ron have a nice visit.

#642553 - 10/06/10 06:55 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]
RightSpin Offline

Loc: South GA Mountains
Kenny and Todd, that is one of the most incredible ride tales I've read to date. Truely awesome, guys!

2016 BMW R1200GS
2003 KTM 625SXC (for sale)
1981 BMW R100CS

#642571 - 10/06/10 11:45 AM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: RightSpin]
azkaisr Offline

Loc: Arizona
How did you guys get home?
05 R1200 GS Sold
07 K1200 GT
02 R1150 GS

#642652 - 10/06/10 03:48 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: azkaisr]
Bruce H Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
That was an absolutely fabulous ride and write-up. Thanks for sharing.

#642703 - 10/06/10 06:57 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt

Originally Posted By: Kenny Haynes
Hey Kathy, no solid plan for next year at this point. A number of options are being considered. I'm thinking about another baja adventure this winter, but we shall see.

The only good thing about you sitting still is it will mean you'll have time again for a puppy. smile
I do hope you get to the Baja...I need to read another one of those tales! clap

Hope you and Ron have a nice visit.

We are sitting here, at the kitchen table, talking about you and Todd and your trip....the shot of your bikes in the sand...we can only imagine the emotion of that moment for you guys. Get Todd into some Gerbings and you guys ride the snowmobile up here as soon as you have time grin

#642709 - 10/06/10 07:13 PM Re: Westward Ho ! 2010 [Re: Kenny Haynes]
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline

Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI (USA)

Looks like you and Todd were digging some nice trenches there on the beach. grin

Quote:
One of the highlights of these rides is the documentation of the vacation in this kind of tale, which allows one to relive the ride in a way that for me is better than a photo album mostly because it can be shared with family and friends more easily.

Amen. This was an interesting two-fer, with both of you contributing to the same ride tale, with some amazing pics and a great travelogue of where you were at the time. I've gone back and reread my own ride tales several times since writing them; I know I would have forgotten a lot of the interesting details of it if I hadn't written it all down, and all of that detail (along with a selection of the best pics) does indeed result in something that's interesting for other folks, even non-riders, to check out. You've got the same thing going on here; well done! thumbsup

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike