IGNORED

r1200rt front wheel removal

firefighter217

firefighter217

i didn't get a tool kit with mine and I'm a little confused on how to remove it to change out a front tire.

please help...

any links or anything is appreciated

You need:

Torx bit set, up to t-45

Torque wrench

22mm hex tool and a way to drive it.

Remove the front "beak." The painted plastic over the front of the wheel. t-27 IIRC.

Remove the two brake calipers from the front forks. t-45 iirc. Watch the speed sensor cable on the left. You may need to unhook it. Wiggle them off the rotors, so they hang freely.

Loosen the pinch bolt on the right front fork. t-45 iirc

With the bike on the center stand, jack the front wheel up, prop it up, or weight the rear to get it up. Just be sure whatever you do is secure and stable. I use a floor jack and a wood block under the engine, until the rear wheel touches the ground.

Remove the axle with the 22mm hex tool.

Work the wheel out.

To reinstall, reverse the procedure.

Torque specs for an '07 RT are here.

Be sure to get the speed sensor cable rerouted correctly and reattached.

If you don't have the right "22mm hex tool", you can use a standard spark plug socket with the hex end. Put it on an extension backwards (extension goes into the socket where the spark plug goes). The outside hex end of the socket is about the right size. Not a perfect fit but close enough. (not my idea but I forgot who originally posted this approach)

If you're spark plug socket hex end won't fit, mine are too big, go to your local hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot,etc., and get a "shower wrench" for about $2...It's a double-ended, pressed steel hex socket thingy (21/32 and 27/32)....The 21/32 socket end on mine measures 22mm OUTSIDE and works perfectly...Slips right in the axle, put a screwdriver in the hole on the socket and lossen the nut.....Remembered that I got mine at Harbor Freight...

Here's another thread that might help..

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=353950&Searchpage=9&Main=32948&Words=axle&Search=true#Post353950

Edited by Redbrick

REMOVE the speed sensor! I know that you can get the wheel out without removing it, but you will likely damage the sensor when the wheel is replaced! It take 15 seconds to remove the screw. The sensor costs $90+! Yeah....I bought one :eek:

CoarsegoldKid
Pump the brake handle after the calipers are re-attached, and before riding.

After the caliper(s) are reinstalled turn on the ignition so the servo is operable, then squeeze the brake lever and rear foot pedal. You will thank us later.

• 2 years later...
Timothy Dearborn

Note: The size of pinch bolt (at least on my '06) is T-40.

Also, as noted in other comments, the 21/32 "shower valve socket" from Menard's worked great to remove the front axle. I put a 26mm socket over the other 27/32 end and attached a socket wrench to that to drive it.

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, I'm not a regular poster here (sorry! ) but this topic came up on a search and I just wanted to check a couple of things with you.

Obviously, me being a male and all that, I launched into the front wheel removal without RTFMing :whistle: in order to get a new front tyre fitted. I have one issue and one question.

Issue: I removed the front calipers, and just wiggled them slightly to move the pads/get enough clearance. After replacing, I pumped the brake lever, first with the ignition off, then with the engine running, but it still feels kinda spongey. If I squeeze hard enough, I can get the lever back to the bar. What have I done wrong here?

Question: re the advice further back up the thread about the speed sensor. As mentioned, I didn't RTFM first, so I ploughed in and removed/replaced the wheel. I didn't encounter any resistance anywhere and I didn't hear any breaking noises, but if I have damaged the sensor, how can I tell? No speedo? No cruise? I haven't ridden the bike yet, only finished a short time ago.

Thanks in advance!

The brakes don't come on stream until you have ridden the bike a few feet, so that the ABS can run its check.

It is not necessary to remove the ABS sensor on the front wheel to remove the wheel. At least not on the 2005 - 2009 versions.

Chris

Hey guys, I'm not a regular poster here (sorry! ) but this topic came up on a search and I just wanted to check a couple of things with you.

Obviously, me being a male and all that, I launched into the front wheel removal without RTFMing :whistle: in order to get a new front tyre fitted. I have one issue and one question.

Issue: I removed the front calipers, and just wiggled them slightly to move the pads/get enough clearance. After replacing, I pumped the brake lever, first with the ignition off, then with the engine running, but it still feels kinda spongey. If I squeeze hard enough, I can get the lever back to the bar. What have I done wrong here?

Question: re the advice further back up the thread about the speed sensor. As mentioned, I didn't RTFM first, so I ploughed in and removed/replaced the wheel. I didn't encounter any resistance anywhere and I didn't hear any breaking noises, but if I have damaged the sensor, how can I tell? No speedo? No cruise? I haven't ridden the bike yet, only finished a short time ago.

Morning Cappo

First off-- what are you working on? Your profile shows an R1100RT but you are posting in a Hexhead thread.

Tell us what model & what year you are working on.

Ah yes, sorry for the confusion! I used to run an R1100RT, I now have a lovely fully-loaded 2012 R1200RT SE :Cool:

The wheel removal was simply for a tyre replacement. I tied the lever back to the bar overnight and it seems to have come back firm, although I haven't ridden the bike yet - it's been a combination of foggy, cold and damp here in the UK, and whilst I do ride to work every day, rain or shine, I haven't quite found the time or enthusiasm this festive week to get togged up and go out!

• 1 month later...

Replacement for 22 mm axle removal tool:

Go a good hardware store that has rod connector nuts. Find the size that has a measurement across the flats of 7/8 ins. By one for a buck. Place in a 22mm or 7/8 in socket. Works good.

• 8 months later...

This will be my first time removing the front wheel on my 2009 RT. I understand that a 22mm hex is needed but what is it actually used for? I see where it goes on the right side of the axle. Is the axle threaded and needs to be spun to remove? Does it need to be torqued when replacing the axle? I couldn't find a YouTube for reference. Any help will be appreciated.