Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#643606 - 10/09/10 04:55 AM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: notacop]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: notacop
Pilgrim is colorful writer if a bit misinformed. Wind can be generated close to a need provided the wind blows there. Nukes can be built anywhere, just supply water for cooling. Nukeys can be putting the watts all the time not just when the atmospherics change. Doldrums ring a hollow thud when it comes to lighting the way.

There is so much animosity to nukes that real hard correct data is missing. I was lead to believe years ago, many long times, that the French use a glassification process to render their waste products more inert and storage safe. We don't do that. We just sit on our dead booties and wring our hands and retrogress rather than work toward the future.

Yup. It's a sad day when you realize that we've gotten to the point where even the French have bigger balls than we do.

dopeslap

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#643618 - 10/09/10 10:31 AM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: russell_bynum]  
Nice n Easy Rider Offline
Nice n Easy Rider  Offline

Chapel Hill, NC
Originally Posted By: russell_bynum
Yup. It's a sad day when you realize that we've gotten to the point where even the French have bigger balls than we do. dopeslap

Ain't that the truth! frown

George C
2007 Biarritz Blue R1200RT, 1979 Black Honda CX500 (sold), 1966 Red Honda CL77 (sold)
I've Been Ready For This My Whole Life
#643671 - 10/09/10 05:13 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: notacop]  
Pilgrim Offline
Pilgrim  Offline

Yakima, WA
Originally Posted By: notacop
Pilgrim is colorful writer if a bit misinformed. Wind can be generated close to a need provided the wind blows there. Nukes can be built anywhere, just supply water for cooling. Nukeys can be putting the watts all the time not just when the atmospherics change. Doldrums ring a hollow thud when it comes to lighting the way.

There is so much animosity to nukes that real hard correct data is missing. I was lead to believe years ago, many long times, that the French use a glassification process to render their waste products more inert and storage safe. We don't do that. We just sit on our dead booties and wring our hands and retrogress rather than work toward the future.

Lest there be a misunderstanding, let me clarify.

Yes, you have to put wind turbines where the wind is. In the case of Washington/Oregon, the big place for wind is in and around the Columbia River and much of its Gorge. If you need power somewhere the wind isn't then the tendency (as in Washington/Oregon)is to build them where it is and send the power to where it's needed.

A big issue for wind power is that many of the places where there's ample wind are not supported by the now-antiquated national power grid. Thus, we see thousands more miles of power lines installed, to the detriment of the landscape. Under current circumstances they are a necessary evil, though, no matter the source of the power.

As to nuke power, that's my first choice among all the available technology now. Not only does it have a fundamentally smaller footprint per amount of power created, if people will tolerate their use there can be many more of them. That reduces the need for massive transfers of electricity from the source of generation to the consumer, thereby eliminating much of the tangle of power lines that cover the landscape now.

If you've been down US666 from the Four Corners area of New Mexico to Gallup you know what I mean. That beautiful desert country now looks like someone spilled a plateful of spaghetti there.

Pilgrim

See my book, Tracks in the Sand, online at Signcutter Press, Amazon, or B&N.
#643679 - 10/09/10 05:54 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: Pilgrim]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
Yup, I definitely find the looks of long distance power lines much uglier than the wind turbines.
I often wonder how much of the movement against nuclear powerplants is instigated by the oil and coal business. It would be the most serious competition for them. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but some times I feel that in the USA the power of big business has no limits.

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#643700 - 10/09/10 07:42 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
1springer Offline
1springer  Offline

Soggy Bottom, WA
IMHO If the "nuclear age" had started with light bulbs coming on instead of bright flashes on the horizon the opinions toward nuclear power would be different. Add to this the endless "B" movies of giant spiders, two headed men, end of the world scenarios etc. and the general hysteria arising from fear, ignorance and superstition and you have the opposition to nuclear power.

With regards to disposal we, the U.S., had a program in place, Yucca Mountain in NV to store high level waste, But, congress in their infinite self serving genius managed to kill it. So, I have little confidence this country will ever have it's electrical supply base loaded by little neutrons giving it up for the cause.

2013 Triumph Tiger 800
04 1150 RT ( sold )
#643701 - 10/09/10 07:44 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
ShovelStrokeEd Offline
MC Buffer
ShovelStrokeEd  Offline
MC Buffer

SE Florida
Originally Posted By: Paul Mihalka
Yup, I definitely find the looks of long distance power lines much uglier than the wind turbines.
I often wonder how much of the movement against nuclear powerplants is instigated by the oil and coal business. It would be the most serious competition for them. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but some times I feel that in the USA the power of big business has no limits.

The big business of power has no limits.

Fixed it for ya. smirk

We blew our chance to have a reliable source of power 30 years ago when the NIMBY folks but the clamp on building of nuclear power plants. Given current restrictions and costs, we couldn't get an adequate supply chain going now for another 30 years. Far too late, IMHO. I'm not worried about it, I don't have another 30 years left.

I love the concept of renwable/reusable energy sources but remember, currently, we get about 3% of our energy needs from all of those sources combined. Are you ready to go without AC and heat? How about lighting and that fancy induction stove? Take a look at your energy bill today and imagine what you have to give up to reduce it by 90% or so.

Nukes are the answer, we just should have asked the question a long time ago.

Just as every skill is improved by practice, so also is every bad habit made worse by repetition.

Swim upstream in life, only dead fish go with the flow.
#643706 - 10/09/10 08:08 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: ShovelStrokeEd]  
1springer Offline
1springer  Offline

Soggy Bottom, WA
You are correct sir. A supply chain in 30 years. if it were only so. If you even got a company to invest in a single plant your looking at a couple of billion dollars and 20 years before you saw one watt. Tens years just to design, build and test. Add to that the endless legal challenges, red tape and you could easily go 20+ years. The government would have to heavily subsidize and help streamline the regulatory process as well as assist in legal challenges. But without some leadership it won't happen, and there is damm little of that around nowdays.

2013 Triumph Tiger 800
04 1150 RT ( sold )
#643728 - 10/09/10 09:53 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: 1springer]  
SageRider Offline
SageRider  Offline

Minden, Nevada
Quote:
Yucca Mountain in NV to store high level waste

Yep. The perfect NIMBY solution. Except for Nevada. Except for everyone along the transportation corridors.
Except for everyone some years down the road as the "solution" was to store all the waste in Yucca and hope our kids could deal with it.

Too bad the money poured into Yucca Mountain and the decision making process behind it (very much political. Not so much scientific.) wasn't instead spent on research into being actually able to reprocess /reuse the material.

Michael
2010 Unrally IX Sierra Adventures Co-Chair
KE6GYC 2M/440
'12 F800-GS Trophy: (dearly departed)
'06 R1200-RT, Piedmont RED! (dearly departed)
'99 R1100-RT (dearly departed)
Minden, Nevada
#643764 - 10/09/10 11:51 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: SageRider]  
1springer Offline
1springer  Offline

Soggy Bottom, WA
Originally Posted By: SageRider
Quote:
Yucca Mountain in NV to store high level waste

Yep. The perfect NIMBY solution. Except for Nevada. Except for everyone along the transportation corridors.
Except for everyone some years down the road as the "solution" was to store all the waste in Yucca and hope our kids could deal with it.

Too bad the money poured into Yucca Mountain and the decision making process behind it (very much political. Not so much scientific.) wasn't instead spent on research into being actually able to reprocess /reuse the material.

Nuclear waste has been moving around this country for years with little if an effect. As far as reprocessing where would you like that facility placed? Probably not in your backyard. As far as reuse, do seriously believe that no research has gone on over the decades to find a viable way to handle spent fuel and if there currently was do you think the option would have been to take the most difficult solution, i.e., to hollow out a mountain? I'm sure that the Natl. Labs would be more than will to take research $$'s.

Oddly enough. inspite of many, many atmopheric and below ground nuclear tests less than 60 miles from Las Vegas you all survived and at least when I lived there, were relatively normal. In fact prospered! "We don't mind if you bomb us, we just don't want anything buried deep underground out in the middle of nowhere".

2013 Triumph Tiger 800
04 1150 RT ( sold )
#643766 - 10/09/10 11:52 PM Re: Heard a wind turbine? [Re: russell_bynum]  
ratfink Offline
ratfink  Offline

vancouver, wa
Originally Posted By: russell_bynum
Yup. It's a sad day when you realize that we've gotten to the point where even the French have bigger balls than we do. dopeslap

They're just bigger on account of they're swollen with mutant spawn.

Regards, RTFink

2000 R1100RT
1999 R1100RT-P
2006 650 V-Strom
2001 DRZ400S
1974 DT175
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9