BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#662238 - 12/15/10 04:36 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: racer7]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: racer7

(yes, I've had track tire blowouts, brake failures ,etc etc- they're actually not that big a deal if you keep you wits about you)

To make such a universal and generalized statement seems naive.

Just ask Michele Alboreto, Gordon Smiley, Ayrton Senna, Scott Brayton. Or ask AJ Foyt about his crash at Road America.

Or any number of drivers who've died or been seriously injured at track days.

The point the "old geezers' (who, BTW have not stooped to name calling) seem to be making is that there are so many uncontrollable potentially fatal and dangerous situations that child/young passengers are exposed to that are beyond YOUR (and their) control that intentions, gear, maturity etc have no impact on. They simply seem to be saying that there are just as many things and activities that bring smiles and bonding and growth that don't have the previously mentioned consequences.

That's easy enough to understand, isn't it?

How I would feel if my GF were injured or killed as a result of riding on the back of my bike I can't comprehend.

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#662312 - 12/15/10 09:34 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: workin' them angels]  
kmac Offline
kmac  Offline

South Riverside County Ca.
Afternoon WTA, Your comments take us back to the same subject, Everything in life is a RISK! At what point do you decide to shelter your kids from life?

People have died from the water they drink, see erin brokovich, the air we breath, the food we eat. Do we shelter them from air, food, and water? Of course not.
Kids die from reactions to medicine, see SJS from Motrin, and some still argue that vacinations can cause Autism. Do we not give our kids medicine and vaccines? Again Of course we do.

Even as an old fart myself, If i dont get out and get a little dangerous once in a while, i would die of boredom. So what do we just not let our kids do anything fun and exciting and maybe a little dangerous? Then what they hang themselves over boredom?

I disagree with not letting kids have some fun even if it is dangerous...of course as controlled and trained as possible.

"your shakin my hand while your pissin on my leg" mike ness, social D
'96 BMW r1100rt, '07 Yamaha WR250F, '65 Yamaha 305 Ym1,
'08 KTM530excr {just sold}
#662356 - 12/15/10 11:26 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: cali_beemer]  
peterbulgar Offline
peterbulgar  Offline

San Francisco, CA
Beginning in 1998, when my son was nine years old, we took several motorcycle trips together on my R90/6 and later on my R1150RA. This was over the strenuous objections of my parents. I was somewhat taken aback by their vehemence, so I did what you did and asked the opinion of friends. What probably put my mind at ease was the strong endorsement from a friend who doesn't ride. He felt that the time spent together doing something exciting was worth the elevated risk.

That first year we rode from San Francisco to the BMWMOA National Rally in Missoula, Montana and back, camping most of the time. In following years we went to Legoland in southern California, traveled through the southwest twice (Grand Canyon, Roswell, Moab), attended the first BMWMOA rally in Redmond, again camping most of the time. Out last trip together was on the R1150RA to the BMWMOA rally in Spokane, followed by a ride through British Columbia to Hyder, AK.

Last week I was looking at a photo album of pictures from those trips. There's my skinny little son standing as tall as he could in front of the overloaded /6. I'm older and more cautious now, and I say to myself, "What was I thinking?" But, I'm glad we did it.
peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA, Kawasaki, Suzuki

#662363 - 12/15/10 11:47 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: peterbulgar]  
kmac Offline
kmac  Offline

South Riverside County Ca.
Originally Posted By: peterbulgar
Beginning in 1998, when my son was nine years old, we took several motorcycle trips together on my R90/6 and later on my R1150RA. This was over the strenuous objections of my parents. I was somewhat taken aback by their vehemence, so I did what you did and asked the opinion of friends. What probably put my mind at ease was the strong endorsement from a friend who doesn't ride. He felt that the time spent together doing something exciting was worth the elevated risk.

That first year we rode from San Francisco to the BMWMOA National Rally in Missoula, Montana and back, camping most of the time. In following years we went to Legoland in southern California, traveled through the southwest twice (Grand Canyon, Roswell, Moab), attended the first BMWMOA rally in Redmond, again camping most of the time. Out last trip together was on the R1150RA to the BMWMOA rally in Spokane, followed by a ride through British Columbia to Hyder, AK.

Last week I was looking at a photo album of pictures from those trips. There's my skinny little son standing as tall as he could in front of the overloaded /6. I'm older and more cautious now, and I say to myself, "What was I thinking?" But, I'm glad we did it.
thumbsup

"your shakin my hand while your pissin on my leg" mike ness, social D
'96 BMW r1100rt, '07 Yamaha WR250F, '65 Yamaha 305 Ym1,
'08 KTM530excr {just sold}
#662365 - 12/15/10 11:53 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: kmac]  
cali_beemer Offline
cali_beemer  Offline

Folsom, CA
Originally Posted By: kmac

thumbsup

+1, VERY COOL!

2004 R1150RT

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan
#662493 - 12/16/10 04:46 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: cali_beemer]  
BrianT Offline
BrianT  Offline

Long Beach, CA
I can't wait for the day my kids are old enough to ride with me. However, I've seen a few kids that look like they were hanging on for dear life by their fingernails because of their age. When my kids are old enough to sit on the bike properly (feet on pegs etc), have safety gear that fits their size and are strong enough to hold on to me like a normal passenger I'll be taking them out. It's more of a judgement call because only you will know when your kids are ready.

As a kid, my father took me out on a couple of short rides on his bike. Probably way before he should've, I was only 4 I think and held onto the gas tank. But I'll never forget how awesome that was.

Last edited by BrianT; 12/16/10 04:54 PM.

BrianT - 15 R1200RT-P (Work), 16 FJR1300ES (Play)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. - Matthew 5:9
#662693 - 12/17/10 05:15 AM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: peterbulgar]  
EddyQ Offline
EddyQ  Offline

Lexington, Ma
Beginning in 1998, when my son was nine years old, we took several motorcycle trips together on my R90/6 and later on my R1150RA.

I think that is awsome. I'd love a long trip as yours with my kids!

racer7, I agree 100% with you about involving your kids with risk. BMX, skiing, motorcycling, skydiving. sports whatever. But when kids get hurt, you have failed as a parent IMO. Sure, freak tragic accidents happen. But, most the time, there are warning signs that the kid is at too high of risk and is in danger of getting hurt. For instance, he rides his bicycle into the road three consecutive rides without looking for a car. Warning! Don't bring the kid to a busy street yet! He rides his 50cc minibike great on the lawn, but scared to ride in the woods. Warning! Don't upgrade the bike to the CR80 that he wants! Often it isn't that simple. One thing for sure, you as a parent need to know the situation quite clearly. When your kid is off somewhere unattended, are you going to be certain? Hard call.

If you as a parent know your child and know what environment you are putting your child into, you should know what level of risk is involved. If acceptable, go for it. If not, don't. It is your call and you are to blame if he gets hurt. If the child gets hurt often, then I would question the quality of your parenting. Even if the kid was getting hurt walking!

2007 BMW R1200RT
#662704 - 12/17/10 07:38 AM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: EddyQ]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
Quote:
But when kids get hurt, you have failed as a parent

I disagree. Nobody wants to see their kids get hurt, but I don't view a parent's job as making sure that they never get hurt. Getting hurt is part of life. Our job is making sure they don't get, as Kenny Robert's says "Seriously hurt or seriously killed"

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#662778 - 12/17/10 03:42 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: russell_bynum]  
cali_beemer Offline
cali_beemer  Offline

Folsom, CA
Originally Posted By: russell_bynum
Quote:

I disagree. Nobody wants to see their kids get hurt, but I don't view a parent's job as making sure that they never get hurt. Getting hurt is part of life. Our job is making sure they don't get, as Kenny Robert's says "Seriously hurt or seriously killed"

+1, my daughter broke her arm when she fell off the top of a bounce house slide this last summer. Does this mean I failed as a parent becasue I let her go on a bounce house? Should she never be allowed to go on one again? Or am I a bad parent because I have already let her go back on a bounce house slide since then? Kids are always going to get hurt at some point but what dont kill ya, only makes you stronger. Right? thumbsup

2004 R1150RT

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan
#662844 - 12/17/10 06:49 PM Re: Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts? [Re: cali_beemer]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: cali_beemer
Originally Posted By: russell_bynum
Quote:

+1, my daughter broke her arm when she fell off the top of a bounce house slide this last summer. Does this mean I failed as a parent becasue I let her go on a bounce house? Should she never be allowed to go on one again? Or am I a bad parent because I have already let her go back on a bounce house slide since then? Kids are always going to get hurt at some point but what dont kill ya, only makes you stronger. Right? thumbsup

Stronger...and hopefully smarter.

Pain is nature's way of saying "Don't do that again." cool

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7