IGNORED

Replacing the headlight bulb on 04 R1150RT

cali_beemer

cali_beemer

Okay, okay...stupid question. I believe I have a burned low beam bulb. Its the bulb in the center in the far back behind the high beam. Does anyone know what size it is? Also, while I figure I can figure it out when I do it, can anyone tell me how to replace it? Do I need to remove anything? I realize this is in the manual as well as in the Clymer. I have both books but they are at the house I no longer get to live in..... :cry: I would like to go get a new bulb tonight after work and pop it in.

I believe it's H7. You need to remove a cover which is held by a pressure wedge ( I don't know a better term.)

Then the bulb itself is held in place by a pressure clip that you need to squeeze to release the bulb, but the clip itself stays in place.

The description is in the manual indeed, and it isn't too difficult to accomplish; just go slow.

The bulb is an H7

DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS PART OF THE BULB.

natural oil in the skin will remain on the glass part and when it gets hot the bulb will overheat and fail because of the hot spot caused by the oil. Wear gloves or be very careful. If you think you have touched the glass, wipe it with an IPA (alcohol) dampened tissue.

Access to achieve the bulb change is much easier with the Tupperware off; otherwise access from below can help for some bits.

If you look forward and below the dash warning lights you will see a smooth plastic cover. This is held in place by a spring steel clip on the top of the cover.

Press the free end of this clip up and forwards with one thumb, and then at the same time, grasp the rim of the cover and hinge the top backwards towards you. Once clear of the clip, it can be lifted upwards to release to little pegs that hinge the bottom of the cover against the housing.

The cover can then be jiggled (with difficulty) clear of the bulb housing.

The dip beam bulb is the upper on in the housing.

Unplug the electrical connector from the bulb.

To remove the bulb, it is held in place by a spring clip that drops down from the top of the bulb housing, wraps either side of the bulb case and then engages in two awkward hooky things.

Squeeze the lower free ends of the thin wire clip together until they are clear of the retaining hooks, then hinge the wire clip rearwards and upwards to liberate the bulb.

Carefully remove the bulb and note the position of its locating tab (vertically upwards).

Removal is now complete.

It may be worth doing a practice install with this broken bulb prior to doing it with the good one. The reason is that you may have to fiddle to get the technique right and in doing so touch the bulb glass.

Make sure that the bulbs metal body fits correctly into the hole in the headlamp and that the bulb locating tag (at its top) correctly mates into the headlamp housing. (It is as fiddly as it sounds).

Refit electrical connector and check operation of lamp.

Switch off ignition and now go for the refit of the plastic cover.

You will need to jiggle it back into roughly the right position, and then drop its lower front edge into the headlamp-housing receptacle. Finally, hold that spring steel clip up and forward, then hinge the cap forward till it abuts the headlamp housing, Now hinge the spring steel clip back into engagement with the cover.

Job done.

Andy's description is wonderful. I will add a few minor comments. The H7 bulb is readily available at any Auto Zone, etc. but be careful to get one that has a longer life. There are some that tout more billiance, but at the cost of changing it again in two or three months. Put the bike up on the center stand so you can move the handlebars as needed to get your fingers in the right position. Have a good flashlight; maybe a headband light. If you can't get the spring clip latched around the bulb base, you may not have it seated right. Try rotating it a little left and right to see if it seats deeper.

No matter how many times I've done it, it always requires at least fifteen minutes of futzing around.

----

cali_beemer

well, its done. it took about 5-10 minutes and was pretty darn easy. I appreciate the help and great replies, your help is what made this a walk in the park. Sometime I plan to go HID and I should have but money is very tight right now so i just put in a new bulb. I also no longer have access to my garage and lift.

If you go HID, then a few things will change wrt the cover. You will probably have to drill a hole in the cover to get the cables through......but we'll cross that bridge later.

Glad the job's done.

Andy

well, its done. it took about 5-10 minutes and was pretty darn easy. I appreciate the help and great replies, your help is what made this a walk in the park. Sometime I plan to go HID and I should have but money is very tight right now so i just put in a new bulb. I also no longer have access to my garage and lift.

Dang! I feel stupid. It took me a good deal longer; but I didin't ask here first. Good for you.

• 4 years later...

Thanks for all the input. Mine went out over the weekend, so replacement was a breeze, thanks to this thread. Didn't remove the tupperware, just wrestled my big old mitts in there and get her done.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I had to bump it because it saved me because of the great information in it. I had to replace my low beam bulb and both fog lights. Awesome information, went off without a problem. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I know this is an old thread, but I had to bump it because it saved me because of the great information in it. I had to replace my low beam bulb and both fog lights. Awesome information, went off without a problem. Thanks

Just bought a 2004 RT...how difficult was it to change your fog lamp bulbs

Just bought a 2004 RT...how difficult was it to change your fog lamp bulbs

Afternoon aviscomi

That depends on-- If your first time then those fog light bulbs can be challenging. After you have done a few then not too bad of a job.

I agree with DR. However, my preferred method is to fale all the Tupperware off and unbolt the nose fairing. Tilt it forward and the job is a breeze. While everything is off, you can carry out a full service, add any additional farkels that takes your fancy and generally admire the bike.

Get cardboard,draw small rough outline of bike.

Put holes where you remove the screws from.

Put screws in appropriate hole to keep them in proper place and order.

Should help.

Best wishes.

rustyfingerz

with all the LED tech going on these days

is there an alternative for our bikes?

ever hear hear of and "LED OPTION" ?

with all the LED tech going on these days

is there an alternative for our bikes?

ever hear hear of and "LED OPTION" ?

I just finished installing the LED headlight today

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-led-bulbs/motorcycle-led-headlight-conversion-kit-h7-led-headlight-bulb-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink/3932/8568/

Not sure how long this will last, due to the fact that there is no cooling fan. I have similar LEDs on my Grand Cherokee, but they have built in cooling fans.

I have an H3 unit fitted for high beam. It uses braided copper straps that act as heatsinks. It is a very nice unit.

I have no experience of the LED Low beam, but I am very interested in feedback from those who have fitted one. Is the beam shape good. That for me is a VERY high priority. I do not want to blind oncoming vehicles. Too much of that going on.

Also how bright is it?

I have an H3 unit fitted for high beam. It uses braided copper straps that act as heatsinks. It is a very nice unit.

I have no experience of the LED Low beam, but I am very interested in feedback from those who have fitted one. Is the beam shape good. That for me is a VERY high priority. I do not want to blind oncoming vehicles. Too much of that going on.

Also how bright is it?

I'll report back on the "beam shape" once the rain stops here in the Northeast.

• 5 years later...

I just wanted to bump this thread and say thank you to Andy.

The directions seemed like Greek to me until I got in there and then once I saw things, it all made perfect sense and these detail directions saved me a lot of time!

Is there a good detailed direction on doing the high beam bulb?