BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#704810 - 06/16/11 05:57 AM Re: Day 6 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
Quote:
Maybe it’s just me, but if I saw a big yellow sign that said “DANGER – FALLING ROCK”, I don’t think I’d park my car there:

To quote Gleno: "It's a rental!"

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#704823 - 06/16/11 10:20 AM Re: My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
eddd Offline
eddd  Offline

Hurricane, UT
Another great installment. thumbsup

You made me hungry for some fry bread.

12 Kawasaki EX650
13 Yamaha XT250
16 KTM RC 390
96 R1100RT - forced retirement at 175,000

#704836 - 06/16/11 12:00 PM Re: Day 6 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday

Not to hijack Mitch, but how is that Corbin working out for you compared to the one on you had on your 1100? Considering taking the plunge for my GS

-Keith (Yup, thats me...and my rubber chicken)

Making the world a better place, one rubber chicken at a time!

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
'00 R1100RT (parting out, PM me)
#704857 - 06/16/11 01:29 PM Re: Day 6 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: OoPEZoO]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:
Cows playing chicken. Huh. They’re pretty good at it, too. Not wanting to hit a side of beef at highway speed, we had to slow down a few times, even as low as 20 MPH before the cow decided to moooove off.
You're lucky they mooooved at all, several times I've had to 'bump' cows out on dirt roads to get them to move out of the way of the Tundra. (And Whip's story about me pushing one off a cliff is not true, officer)

#704867 - 06/16/11 02:05 PM Re: Day 6 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: OoPEZoO]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Originally Posted By: OoPEZoO
Not to hijack Mitch, but how is that Corbin working out for you compared to the one on you had on your 1100? Considering taking the plunge for my GS

With the backrest incorporated into the passenger's seat, it's farther back than it was on my 1100, but still usable if I tilt it farther forward.

The pilot's saddle seems to be tipped a bit forward, making me slide forward more than I'd like. Not bad, but enough so that I've contemplated lowering the back end of the saddle by maybe a quarter-inch. Haven't actually done it, which tells you it's bearable. I wasn't hurting at the end of a 780-mile day; I guess I can't ask for much more than that.

I'd be careful about extrapolating from the RT to the GS. The saddles on each are fundamentally different, and you'll probably get more relevant info from someone with a Corbin-equipped GS.

#704879 - 06/16/11 02:37 PM Re: Day 6 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
OoPEZoO Offline
OoPEZoO  Offline

Amish Country, PA
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
I'd be careful about extrapolating from the RT to the GS. The saddles on each are fundamentally different, and you'll probably get more relevant info from someone with a Corbin-equipped GS.

I agree, but just thought I'd ask considering we both had so much seat time on your old Corbin and both liked it. I don't actually think I have seen anyone with a Corbin on a GS. Seems like most GS guys go for the Sargeant, but I'm hesitant to go that route after my experiences with the RT.

Anyway. Thanks for the info. [/hijack]......carry on

-Keith (Yup, thats me...and my rubber chicken)

Making the world a better place, one rubber chicken at a time!

'98 Buell S1 Lightning
'06 R1200GS
'86 Honda CB125
'00 R1100RT (parting out, PM me)
#704979 - 06/16/11 10:21 PM Re: Day 6 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Kitsap Offline
Kitsap  Offline

WA
Another grand Torrey, thanks for the memories.

I need to try one of those Navajo Tacos, yum.

Wade
IBA #37945
#705008 - 06/17/11 12:44 AM Re: Day 6 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
KDeline Offline
KDeline  Offline

Well told.

#705027 - 06/17/11 02:33 AM Day 7 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Day 7: Friday, May 20, 2011
Route: Torrey, UT to Capitol Reef (via Burr Trail) and back
Distance: 137 miles

The weather forecast for the day looked cold and likely wet in most directions. Judging from the radar, the most promising outlook was to the south, so Shawn and I ran UT12 over Boulder Mountain, destined for the Burr Trail. Depending on who you talk to before you ride, the paved portion of the trail starting from Boulder is either 10 or 20 miles long. If you actually ride it though, you discover that the pavement lasts a full 30 miles before you run into the edge of Capitol Reef National Park, where the road turns to gravel. grin The first ten miles crosses open territory, with minor twists and turns that travel past some really unique rock formations; the middle ten miles squiggles through a narrow canyon; and the last ten miles hustle across open, slightly hilly terrain. After all that, at the gravel/pavement juncture, there’s a turnout where you can park and wander out into the scrub. Searching for a high vantage point, we actually ended up a fair distance from the bikes:

Shawn is seen here leaving Bigfoot tracks to be fossilized for future cryptozoologists: grin

Our high ground:

Don’t worry, we’re standing upright; it’s just that the camera was positioned by a drunken, fluorescent monkey. dopeslap

If you’re curious about the local geology/history, I took pictures of the roadside plaques here. and here.

On the way back up the trail to Boulder, we stopped at a few spots in the canyon for pics. Here at the first stop, Shawn accidentally dug a muddy trench with his rear tire (his front tire did some of the digging as well):

At a stop further up the canyon, we saw a massive arch in its formative stage (Shawn nailed the best photo of it thumbsup ):

Yes, those are full-sized trees beneath it; it’s a big arch. Come back to this spot in a few millennia, and we may have a fully formed arch to look at.

After climbing out of the canyon, we stopped for one more batch of photos:

(click on image to open a larger panoramic view – in a new window – that can be scrolled left and right)

In the above photo, you can see how narrow the canyon is in comparison to the road.

A close-up of the peculiar texture on a rock I saw at that overlook:

For scale, those little divots are each approximately 1/4" across. Strange.

At the end of the trail in Boulder, we stopped for lunch at the Burr Trail Grill. For me, a pulled pork sandwich topped with fennel jam and stewed tomatoes. Severely good food, and a cozy dining room with big windows that afford a great view of the area; I heartily endorse the BTG for anyone passing through Boulder around lunchtime. thumbsup

After lunch I was hoping to ride further down UT12 to Escalante, but Shawn and I both agreed that the clouds over Boulder Mountain looked like they might be dropping a load of snow on our return route very soon, so we decided to head straight back to Torrey. Once we got up on the mountain proper, we could see that the weather was probably going to cooperate, so we stopped at a couple of overlooks:

Interesting to learn that the 37-mile stretch of UT12 north of Boulder was unpaved until 1977 – and after that, it took fully eight years to complete the work:

(click on image to open a full-size, hi-resolution version – in a new window – that can be scrolled left and right)

This was a significant achievement. The original mud/gravel road was only open from late May to early November; the rest of the year, travelers had to detour a whopping 200 miles through Panguitch to get from Boulder to Torrey. Clem Church was the Utah transportation commissioner who oversaw the project; when he died in 1989 – just four years after its completion – officials renamed this stretch of road the “Clem Church Memorial Highway.” Earlier in his career had had also helped develop UT95. Next time you’re leaning into a curve on one of these incredible roads, take a moment to give Clem a silent “thank you.”

A later stop at another overlook, this time with the Henry Mountains behind us:

We shoulda left our helmets on for this one, cuz man, it was getting COLD out there.

We arrived back at the Chuckwagon in late afternoon, and spent the rest of the day chatting with folks and relaxing, alternating between beer (to stay happy) and coffee (to stay warm).

A fine beer for the great state of Utah:

The cigar aficionados were present in large numbers. A representative few:

I don’t like smoking cigars, but I like the smell of other people nearby smoking cigars. Weird. confused

Chilling, quite literally, outside the general store:

A local resident stopped by with a dog carrier on his quad, making new friends:

Wurty and I get our clothes done by the same tailor:

Are you a girl? Do you ride like one? Then this license plate frame is for you (digits censored to protect the guilty party, but you know who you are…):

Step 1: open cabin door.
Step 2: snap photo.
Step 3: close cabin door.
Result:

That’s about enough fun for one day.

#705166 - 06/17/11 09:50 PM Re: Day 7 of My Torrey Oddity [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
questrider Offline
questrider  Offline

Northern Illinois
Goodness gracious! An absolutely wonderful ride report (again), Mitch. cool The trek you traversed reminds me of how often I forget (!) what an amazing place southern Utah is. This particular chapter of your tale on Burr Ridge Trail brings back LOTS of memories. Thanks!

lurk

I've been to Torrey twice, but never when the rest of you yahoos are in attendance. One of these days I need to make it to one of these gatherings. SOON! grin

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike