BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Topic Options
#723330 - 08/31/11 08:39 PM Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer
FLrider Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
I bought a tire changer recently, thinking I might save a few bucks in the long run. Between the 3 bikes, utility trailer and boat trailer, I go through a fair amount of tires.

Anyway, I bought a ProHoist changer that comes with the motorcycle attachment. However, the "arms" where the wheel is supposed to sit, doesn't have anything to keep the rim from getting scratched. See Photo

tire changer clamp top view small

I suppose I could have zipped tied some garden hose or some other plastic material to the arms but I wanted something more appropriate.

I found these Mojo blocks on an internet search. As it turns out, they are distributed by one of our own members. I guess they were originally designed for the Harbor Freight tire changers but I think you can make them work on just about any tire changer.

You can find the details here:

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

So, what I wound up doing was buying some flat steel. After lining up the mojo blocks to the back of the arm, I put the flat steel under it, marked it, drilled it and tapped it.

I then tack welded the steel to the arm and screwed in the mojo blocks. Piece of cake.

This is how it turned out.

Untitled

Untitled by AFineRide, on Flickr

Now all I have to do is dab a little paint back on where I had to sand it down for the weld.

I'm hoping the bike rims will actually fit in that "curve" of the mojo blocks. Photo 4. I am also hoping that none of the rim will make contact with the flat steel.

If they do, I think it would be easy enough to just put a piece of thin rubber material on the flat steel part.

I'll report back when I do the next tire change.

#723410 - 09/01/11 11:12 AM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: FLrider]
tallman Online
Picture Perfect Humorist

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida
The mojo's are position sensitive.

You've got the A in the C position.
B is OK.
So swap the other 2 and you'll be good to go.
2003 K 1200 GT Mearas Luhn

#723455 - 09/01/11 04:06 PM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: tallman]
FLrider Offline

Originally Posted By: tallman
The mojo's are position sensitive.

You've got the A in the C position.
B is OK.
So swap the other 2 and you'll be good to go.

Tim, are you screwin' with me again ! ? Now you are going to make me go look. I think all three are identical.

#723478 - 09/01/11 06:12 PM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: FLrider]
tallman Online
Picture Perfect Humorist

Who me?
grin

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I bad.

Enjoy your new tool, you'll find new friends, or should I say new friends will find you.
wave

#723518 - 09/01/11 09:26 PM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: FLrider]
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline

Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Nice work. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: FLrider
I'm hoping the bike rims will actually fit in that "curve" of the mojo blocks. Photo 4. I am also hoping that none of the rim will make contact with the flat steel.

They should fit the groove nicely; it's sized to accomodate the extra width of the lip on outside-spoked GS rims. As long as you're careful about initally putting the rim into the Mojoblocks, they shouldn't make contact with the metal parts of the stand (note that the bottom of each block extends out just a bit farther than the top).
PLEASE GIVE BLOOD

#723664 - 09/02/11 03:15 PM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]
FLrider Offline

Originally Posted By: HoneyBadger (Don't Care)
Nice work. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: FLrider

They should fit the groove nicely; it's sized to accomodate the extra width of the lip on outside-spoked GS rims. As long as you're careful about initally putting the rim into the Mojoblocks, they shouldn't make contact with the metal parts of the stand (note that the bottom of each block extends out just a bit farther than the top).

There he is ! Hey, thanks for the install tips and quick delivery. I didn't know you distributed mojo levers. I had already bought mine before I found you and the mojoblocks.

I've gotten pretty good at changing tubeless tires. Have not tried to replace the rim locked, tubed tires on the Enduro yet...

#723861 - 09/03/11 05:52 PM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: tallman]
Fubar Offline

Loc: Sarasota, FL
Enjoy your new tool, you'll find new friends, or should I say new friends will find you.
wave

I think FLRider just saved me $80-100 on my next change of online purchased tires. clap

Mark is currently on the road to Castle Anthrax. Please leave your message after the beep.

#723892 - 09/03/11 06:46 PM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: Fubar]
tallman Online
Picture Perfect Humorist

If you build it they will come.

Or something like that....
wink

#724110 - 09/04/11 03:09 PM Re: Adding Mojo Blocks To Your Tire Changer [Re: Fubar]
FLrider Offline

Originally Posted By: Fubar
wave

I think FLRider just saved me $80-100 on my next change of online purchased tires. clap

Sure! C'mon down (up in your case).