IGNORED

UnRally V -- The Return to Gunnison: Lodging announcment

Tasker

UnRally V will take us back to magnificent Gunnison, Colorado this year, home of UnRally I. The dates are Tuesday, June 20th, Wednesday, June 21st and Thursday, June 22nd, 2006.

Gunnison, Colorado is not located in a "dry" county! smirk.gif

The headquarters for UnRally V will be the soon-to-be-completed Holiday Inn Express Suites and Hotel, located at 910 East Tomichi Avenue, Gunnison, Colorado 81230. Tomichi Avenue is also known as US50.

A block of seventy-five rooms has been held for our UnRally group. These room will be held until May 15th, at which time our needs will be re-assessed.

Since the hotel is not yet open for business, they are not yet connected to the national reservation system. Please make your reservations by calling 970-209-8465. The hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00AM to Noon and 2:00PM to 5:00PM, MST. If you are calling to make your reservations AFTER March 31st, please call 970-641-1288. Please mention that you are with the UnRally group.

Since we will be visiting the Gunnison area during "high season" our group rates will be $96 to $120, depending on the type of room you book. Room types include one- and two-bed standard rooms, as well as suites. Taxes (11.25%) will be additional.

This new Holiday Inn Express Suites and Hotel will include a coin-operated laundry facility, online access, pool, breakfast and one hundred and fifty flat parking spaces.

A second hotel option has been arranged with the Water Wheel Inn at Gunnison. A block of twenty double-queen rooms has been held for our group. Again, this block will be held for us until May 15th, at which time our needs will be re-assessed. The Water Wheel Inn at Gunnison is much smaller and older, but has been well cared for. They have offered our group a rate of $80 per night, plus tax (11.25%).

The Water Wheel Inn at Gunnison is located two miles west of Gunnison on US50. Their website is www.waterwheelinnatgunnison.com. They can be called at 800-642-1650 or 970-641-1650. The new owner is Jim Valenzuela. Please mention that you are with the UnRally group.

For campers, group rates have been arranged at the KOA Campgrounds in Gunnison. The KOA is located at 105 County Road 50, Gunnison, Colorado 81230, and they can be called at 800-562-1248. Their website is http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/co/06116/. The owners are Dave and Susie Taylor. The rates are as follows:

Tent space with no hook-ups: $7/night

One-room cabin (sleeps 4): $42/night

Two-room cabin (sleeps 6): $52/night

Cottage: $99/night

Taxes are additional.

It is my understanding that many of the cabins and cottages have already been reserved by members in our group when the UnRally location was announced after UnRally IV, last year.

Well, there you have it! The next UnRally V announcement will come sometime around the end of March. The next announcement will include details about the registration fee, what you will receive for that fee, as well as a link to the official UnRally V website (now under construction), which will allow you to register for UnRally V.

Stay tuned!

Edited by Les_is_more

Wooooohoooooo! This will be a magical reunion for sure.

So which hotel are the Angels staying at this time? I remember parking my bike in the middle of all those Harleys and knew the sentry they posted to watch the bikes all night long would take good care of my RT. thumbsup.gif

There was also a very nice smell of burning leaves from the first floor that kind of reminded me of a fall day in the North East. What were those guys burning anyway?? grin.gif

Tasker, I'm looking forward to meeting you and want to thank you in advance for all the work you've done and all the work yet ahead of you.

june eh? with the epic winter this year that leaves out the

dual-sport/adventuring touring GS crowd. bummer. i used to live in gunnison for years and was gonna bring the wee strom down and lead out a sweet dual-sport ride or 2 if anyone was interested. kebler might??? be open, but probaly cumberland and cottonwood & others won't be. nothing but all those paved roads i've done for years over and over. it will be a blast for you flat landers though. next time work out a better time (august/sept) so the highcountry forest roads are open!!! gs use is on a huge rise and more than half of colorado's roads a dirt. paved roads only bikes (read RT) miss out the real good stuff in colorado. the best passes are dirt. anyway have fun everyone :-)

Thanks Tasker, I just made my reservations. I'm going to try to get up there a couple days early to dry run a couple GS routes I have planned because even though the roads were fine the last time I road them, things change and I think we need to dry run at least the GS routes before we send any groups out.

Thanks Tasker, I just made my reservations. I'm going to try to get up there a couple days early to dry run a couple GS routes I have planned because even though the roads were fine the last time I road them, things change and I think we need to dry run at least the GS routes before we send any groups out.

dude this winters snowfall has been epic. you will find some changes.

oh yeah check out these guys:

http://www.kenackerson.com/

Lone_RT_rider

Out!

This year has been a bit tough financially and that kind of room rate vs. a campground event pretty much sinches it for me/us. You guys have a blast.

Shawn

Out!

This year has been a bit tough financially and that kind of room rate vs. a campground event pretty much sinches it for me/us. You guys have a blast.

Shawn

I agree, that's outrageous.

I was thinking of coming but now I'll wait and see how many people are going to camp before I decide.

I agree, that's outrageous.

Really?

a) Me thinks you haven't been traveling much lately. Hotel prices are through the roof, all over the US. The highest ever, I believe, and rising at a much higher rate than airfare.

b) This is a nice, new hotel.

c) This is at peak traveling season, when rates will be highest. And the riding well be the best. smile.gif I was in Gunnison the first time and hated every freakin' minute of the ride there. I about died in the heat.

A cheap dumpy place is going to be $60 or so that time of year. Maybe more. So this is $40 more for an average of 3 nights, for a total difference of $120 for a trip that'll cost most people hundreds and hundreds of dollars in food, fuel, lodging, and tires. $60 if you split a room.

If someone doesn't have the money for the trip period, then the wise thing to do is live within their means and not come. But to blame it on hotel prices for a total of $60 difference? That's just whining. grin.gif

Obviously, the price differential will be much greater if it's the difference between the UnRally hotel and camping, but those of us who prefer a hotel setting finally get our FIRST UnRally headguartered at one, and it's about time. tongue.gif (No, I had nothing to do with the decision, though I certain support it.)

Bob, Shawn,

Well that's a bummer, you'll miss a blast at any price. frown.gif

Here's hoping you can figure out some way to make it! thumbsup.gif

I'm not whining about a difference of $60, I'm complaining about hotel rooms for $106 to $132 (inc tax). You may be right about hotel prices being up but that makes no difference as to whether they are outrageous. You're right, I cannot afford that and I don't intend to.

Same time period in Gunnison for comparison purposes (+tax):

Comfort Inn $67.50

Alpine Inn $79

Super 8 $62

Rodeway $89

Quality Inn $113

I'd like to come, I won't be paying $100 a night so I guess I'll see who is camping (thanks Mike). I'd really rather be with the group, even camping out at DV I felt a bit isolated. How far is it from the KOA to the HI?

FYI I have been travelling in CA and NV and have not noticed an increase in prices, indeed I've found some bargains. (You could have a room at the Rio Suites in LV for $59 on Monday night, of course it was $400+ on Saturday)

edit: re-read David's post and decided he didn't have a 'tone', mostly my disappointment that made me read it that way.

A fair question might be what would I do if I was organizing? I would have it one of the cheaper places to be inclusive and suffer a few nights in the dumpy place. I'd always do that whether I could afford the nicer place or not.

Edited by Killer

Bob,

It's impossible to make everyone happy. At the Un in Eureka Springs many were unhappy with the hotels chosen. One person's good value is anothers bad experience. There is no perfect solution.

Also, I agree it's best to stay where the action is. But it's not that bad to be staying somewhere else. So you need to get up a bit earlier to get over to HQ before everyone takes off? And it's personal preference, maybe you can't drink, or drink as much as you would if you were only stumble distance away from your room. You still get to see old friends, meet new, and have a good time.

Book the Super8 and we'll see ya there?

Edited by steveknapp
A fair question might be what would I do if I was organizing? I would have it one of the cheaper places to be inclusive and suffer a few nights in the dumpy place. I'd always do that whether I could afford the nicer place or not.
And a fair comment would be that I didn't organize so should shut up and accept the situation, but that's not my style thumbsup.gif

Great news, Tasker...we can't wait! (I'd do this in caps,but would get yelled at. grin.gif)

We were at the Bike show today in Mpls. (bought farkles thumbsup.gif), and that crazy bONE was telling us the tale of his mis-adventures out there...sounds exciting! thumbsup.gif

Since we have not been out to Gunni yet, the cost will be minimal, compared to the riding and camaraderie. I will start saving my pennies now.

We were able to get through for reservations (Holiday Express) this evening, after returning home from the show.

I guess the rates are not much different from what you guys paid at the Grand Superior Lodge, huh?

We have decided to stay in Colorado Springs the Sunday before with friends there, and then staying in Gunni Monday through Thursday nights, going home that Friday.

The prospect of a new Holiday Express, compared to that Alpen Dorf in ES...ummmm, I'll pay the bux. grin.gif

Did I say we were pumped for this?

OOOOOOH, Baby.

Edited by bmwscoot

One of the first times I've ever seen a man type to himself and apologize at the same time.......it must be a long winter in Torrey..... grin.gif

Whip

Lone_RT_rider
Out!

Shawn

Ok, I guess I wasnt happy with not putting my foot in my mouth for a short period of time. My comments about cost were mainly directed at MY FINANCIAL SITUATION and not so much at the cost of hotels. Yes I was a little shocked at the prices but if we were to do cabins at the KOA it would be cheaper. Moreover right now I am having problems just finding money for insurance and tires for the bikes much less trips. Right now, just about every event on my normal BMWST filled summer calendar is very suspect. I really, really want to do Torrey this year but I believe this event is going to be all but impossible. It's just a tough year.

The rates for most Holiday Inn express's seem to be a bit high to me wherever I try to stay at them, but for this group IF I had the money, it would be well worth it. I meant what I said, you guys have a blast.....I will miss each and every one of you. Yes, even you David. grin.giftongue.gif

Shawn

Bob,

Jamie and I will be camping. $7 a night looks a whole lot better than $100+ from the bottom of the remodel abyss.

Looking forward to it!!!!!! Did I say, in a big way!!!!!!!!!

A fair question might be what would I do if I was organizing? I would have it one of the cheaper places to be inclusive and suffer a few nights in the dumpy place.

Thank you. Some of you didn't disappoint me. smirk.gif

I expected and was fully prepared for several rations of crap about 1.) hotel prices; 2.) the location of the headquarters; 3.) the time of year chosen for this year's UnRally; 4.) the distance between the hotel(s) and the KOA; 5.) the color chosen for my next bike; 6.) all of the above.

And, please believe me when I say that I fully understand most of your concerns.

All I'll say on this subject is this, and this will be the only time I address this:

The time of year chosen for the 2006 UnRally, the location of this year's UnRally, the hotels used, etc. were not picked without numerous hours of work, numerous hours of consideration, as well as a few sleepless nights, and without gleaning the insights and suggestions from many, many people, many on this DB, some not, including discussions with several chairs of other moto-related events scheduled for this year.

I love doing this stuff, so I'm not complaining, at all. My point is this: The decisions about this event were not made haphazardly, and I knew that not everyone would be pleased. However, I know many more who are/will be pleased about what has been/will be planned for UnRally V.

I truly hope that all of you can and will make the trip, as this part of the country is nothing short of spectacular. If you can't, for whatever reason, we will understand and we will miss seeing/meeting you.

Wow, wait until we announce that all of our planned routes will be up on I70! wink.gif

Be well!

[For the Holiday Inn] . . . "high season" our group rates will be $96 to $120 . . .

[At the KOA . . . ] Tent space with no hook-ups: $7/night

Hmmm, methinks that difference is a wee bit over $60.00. eek.gif Since I'm taking my annual vacation and we're probably arriving a few days early (and I might even stay a day later if there are still a bunch of friends around), the difference is more like $500.00 for five nights. Quick calculation: two bikes, 6000 miles, ~40 mpg, $3.00/gallon= the difference pays for ALL OUR GAS! dopeslap.gif

We're trying to scrape up funds to put windows in the holes in the walls and heating the house would be a plus. Needless to say, it's the only way we'll be able to make this--and we wouldn't miss it for the world--we'll be camping with the rest of the po' folks at the KOA! grin.gif

Also, for those of you who have never UnOrganized an UnRally (which would be the VAST majority of you! tongue.gif ), the work that goes into the UnPlanning so that everyone else can just show up and enjoy hanging out and riding with friends, and having their basic needs met is not to be underestimated. All previous UnRallies have been HQ'd at campgrounds and as I recall most of the hotel prices at Cody were rediculously expensive. It's impossible to make everyone happy in a group as diverse as this one, so I would ask those of you who are getting your panties in a twist about one detail or another to remember the tireless effort and the thankless job Tasker and his team are taking-on on our behalf! thumbsup.gif

You can have fun, or you can have the reasons why not, but for me and my house: we're going to HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!! And we hope that all of you can join us for another AWESOME UnRally! Thanks Tasker and the rest of the UnRally UnOrganizers!!!!!!! clap.gif

Dang, maybe I will make one of my rare "Rock Star Appearances" this year since I was at Gunnison 1 and that 4 year itch is kicking in.

I thought you picked the Holiday Inn Express, so we can all say the reason why we are riding so well is because "I Slept At A Holiday Inn Last Night"

It's impossible to make everyone happy in a group as diverse as this one, so I would ask those of you who are getting your panties in a twist about one detail or another to remember the tireless effort and the thankless job Tasker and his team are taking-on on our behalf! thumbsup.gif

Ditto that. I DO, in some small way know a bit of what Tasker and company are going through. This is an awesome responsibility, that I know Tasker takes very seriously.

Gunnison lodging suggestions from Tasker only seem to be a suggestion to me. If others want to NOT go with his suggestions, why not still come to Gunnison and stay in the lodging of your choice. Just because you do not stay at the Headquarters doen't mean you can't enjoy the UnRally.

You can have fun, or you can have the reasons why not, but for me and my house: we're going to HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!! And we hope that all of you can join us for another AWESOME UnRally! Thanks Tasker and the rest of the UnRally UnOrganizers!!!!!!! clap.gif

We elect to have FUN! And to meet a lot of friends, and make new friends. Oh yeah, ride great roads to boot. wink.gifclap.gif

"IN"...mIGHT bE camping with the Iowa Hoons..or staying at HQ -- not sure at this time...By I'm really do love to camp and am 85.8% thinkin' that's the way to go.

Sounds like we'll be coming in early and staying a tick after the official Let go --

Time will tell, tho'

All I know it is gonna be a hoot to see everybody again. CAN NOT WAIT..!! clap.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Tasker, first thanks for your work. Second I'll be the first from Florida to say "IN". I am going to bring a friend up from Texas. I will secure lodging tomorrow.

Tasker, it’s very exciting to read of more specifics of the ’06 UN.

Count me in!

At first I felt uncertain about what to do while staying in Gunnison; whether to camp or motel – but as I think of the two other times I’ve visited the Gunnison KOA - I’m really leaning towards camping. It’s one of the best campgrounds I’ve stayed at. Then, people like Jamie and Leslie post that they’re going to camp and my mind is made up!

I'm sure the headquaters at the Motel will work great, but

I think the KOA could become a secondary headquarters – call it the UN-Quarters. wink.gif

Now if we can only find a “noisy camping area” in which to segregate hANNAbONE, that would be awesome. grin.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

IN...really and truly IN. IN, IN, IN!! clap.gifclap.gif

I'll also be staying a bit in Denver to see my folks, probably after, dunno exactly! IN! thumbsup.gif

IN grin.gif I'll be there the day before and will stay on for maybe one more. I'm first in line for a cabin at the KOA clap.gif Just some info: Long Motel (970-641-0536) is right by the KOA with rooms. A room with two beds is $65. Across the river is the Island Acres Motel & Log Lodge (970-641-1442) web site http://www.colorado-directory.com/islandacreslodge/ 1 bd $43 & 2 bd $48 they have kitcheneties for just $10 more.

Now if we can only find a “noisy camping area” in which to segregate hANNAbONE, that would be awesome.

Godspeed with that! smirk.gif

/// hEY nOW...!!!!! \\\ eek.gifeek.gif

Don't worry, bONE. wink.gif

The first sight of a snake around that camp site will have Gary banging on our motel room door! grin.gif

Shades of Eureka Springs. grin.gifgrin.gif

[hijak]

Oh, bONE, you little devil.... blush.gif

Thanks for leading me astray by the Kawi exhibit yesterday.

I can't get that ZX-14 outta my widdo head. grin.gif

IN!

I will most likely splurge and stay at the Holiday Inn Ex, will be nice to stay at a new Hotel. I will be on the Busa so have no room for camping gear anyway.

Tasker, Thank you for planning this event, June will be a good time to be in CO, July can get HOT!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again,

Rod

IN. The KOA is one of the nicest places to stay if you like to camp, my wife and I spent three nights there last fall. There are two liquor stores on Rt50 right between the HI and KOA, and they give free ice. The "W Cafe" on Main Street is a killer place to eat good food and there are a number of other restaurants in the area. Further east on 50 there is a winery that does tours, and north of Paonia there is a town named Marble that is worth going to, they mine marble, a great side trip.

Tasker, thank you for the splendid job you are doing.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

IN. I'm one of the bastards that reserved a cabin at the KOA the day after the UN last year. I know some of the names on some of the other cabins (long story), and I hope those of you who made a reservation that are now planning to be at headquarters turf those spots accordingly.

This year, as of now, I'll be finally able to get Gabby to come out and meet you all. So be on your usual behavior- if you're too nice she'll suspect something's up and not want to come back. grin.gif

June will be a good time to be in CO, July can get HOT!

not in gunny town, nor anywhere in the mountains! i've been living in them for 15+ years so i've been around the block a few times. gunny is a high alpine desert so it's colder. often in the winter it is the coldest spot in the country. on the flip-side gunny resides in the doughnut hole so the sun shines alot.

Definitely IN. My thanks to the UNorganizers for all the work that goes into planning an UNevent. It is impossible to accomodate everyone's different needs in planning any event and I'm sure you folks did a great job of coming up with the best all around package you could arrange.

June will be a good time to be in CO, July can get HOT!
not in gunny town, nor anywhere in the mountains! i've been living in them for 15+ years so i've been around the block a few times. on the flip-side gunny resides in the doughnut hole so the sun shines alot.
You must have been gone last summer then, it was friggin' hot in July even up at 10,000 feet. Paonia was miserably hot the last 3 years running.

Interesting that Gunnison is in a doughnut hole and we will have had 2 Uns there, Torrey is in one too and it's a popular spot I hear.

Interesting that Gunnison is in a doughnut hole and we will have had 2 Uns there, Torrey is in one too and it's a popular spot I hear.

UUUUMMMMMmmmmmmmm!

DOOOOOO-NUTs! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Where's the best donut shop in Gunni, anyway. I need GPS locations. wink.gif

IN - You bet! Thanks, Tasker, and all involved in the Unorganizing!

All the falling rocks in Monarch Pass couldn't keep me away from this one!

IN! thumbsup.gifclap.gifgrin.gif