BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 56 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 55 56
#741706 - 11/17/11 03:04 AM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Joe_Rocket]  
Joe_Rocket Offline
Joe_Rocket  Offline

Mesa, Arizona
Hi Gang,

It looks like I will be filing a lawsuit. BMW has been really nice to deal with, but they seem to have no sense of urgency. I could use help in two areas:

1). I need fire information on any R1200RT, ST, or other models that use this pump assembly. I have one case already.

2). File a NHTSA case if you have experienced this failure and encourage anyone you know who has had this failure to file a case. Get the word out...

Once I file the case, I'll let everyone know. Once the case is filed and underway, I'll need to remain silent until the trial is done. Wish me luck.

Joe

Administrator
Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com
#741708 - 11/17/11 03:23 AM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Joe_Rocket]  
10ovr Offline
10ovr  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
So Joe,Are you filling a lawsuit to get a recall or for your self ????

#742494 - 11/20/11 05:05 PM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: 10ovr]  
Joe_Rocket Offline
Joe_Rocket  Offline

Mesa, Arizona
I'll push for recall.... But I will be doing this pro per, and a recall request may require class action, which I, as a non-lawyer, cannot do. Regardless, a recall request will be part of my prayer for relief.

Originally Posted By: 10ovr
So Joe,Are you filling a lawsuit to get a recall or for your self ????

Administrator
#747222 - 12/14/11 08:28 PM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Joe_Rocket]  
Ron Pouch Offline
Just Joined
Ron Pouch  Offline
Just Joined

I have a similar problem on my 2006 RT Smelled fuel one day and took off plastic and saw problem. Ordered metal fitting and installed with thread seal lasted quite awile. I was installing motoplug on that side and saw seepage again. took out fitting, sealed cracks with a product called plastic fix. put fitting back in, pressurize, leak now worse, gas coming up threads. In my opinion something not right with thread taper as fitting bottoms before it tightens up. My solution put two O-Rings seperated by copper washer under fitting. Results no leaks.

#750027 - 12/29/11 09:22 PM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Ron Pouch]  
Joe_Rocket Offline
Joe_Rocket  Offline

Mesa, Arizona
I am getting ready to file my case against BMW. I need the following information sent to me via email from anyone who has experienced this failure:

Subject: BMW Fuel Pump Failure <---- USE THIS EXACT SUBJECT ONLY

Information in the body of the email:

Full Name
Year and model of your BMW
VIN of your BMW
What you did to resolve the problem (if anything).
Did you contact BMW of North America?
IF so, what did they tell you?
Was this issue repaired under warranty?
How much money did the total repair cost you (if anything).
Do you give me permission to include your information on a class-action lawsuit if one is filed?

Please do NOT reply to this post. Simply send me your information or do not send it. This is a public forum and I'd like to make sure this process is completed professionally as possible. I don't even want people replying to tell me that they sent me their information. Simply send it if you'd like and I will confirm I have received it.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Administrator
#751183 - 01/04/12 04:13 AM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Joe_Rocket]  
Scarver Offline
Scarver  Offline

Plano, TX, USA
The design of this fuel pump assembly is flawed - the engineer responsible should be fired for incompetence!

Earlier this year I experienced a leak after installing the metal quick-disconnects. Put the original plastic female connector back in. However, during last week's 1500 mile ride, I had gas leaking on the bike and my riding pants for four days! This week I took another look at the problem area - three cracks! Was reluctant to order a new pump (~$500) because I would eventually face the same problem again because the design is flawed. So decided to strengthen the area where BMW engineering failed their job.

Measured the height of the plastic ridge (5 mm - 3/16") and the outside diameter (24 mm). Next I fabricated a collar from a 4cm x 4cm piece of 3/16" aluminum stock. Filed the hole to a diameter of 23.5 mm; the bottom of the hole was flared to about 24 mm. The flare facilitated placing the collar over the plastic ridge and closing the cracks.

Applied J-B Weld around the opening and pressed the aluminum collar over it. That also forced epoxy into the cracks. Cleaned excess material with acetone. After curing for a day the gaps are closed.

BMW should make these aluminum collars available free to RT and GT owners. New pumps should have them factory installed.

Last edited by Joe Frickin' Friday; 01/04/12 01:37 PM. Reason: rearranged pics to obviate H-scrolling
#751213 - 01/04/12 01:36 PM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Scarver]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Originally Posted By: Scarver
This week I took another look at the problem area - three cracks! Was reluctant to order a new pump (~$500) because I would eventually face the same problem again because the design is flawed. So decided to strengthen the area where BMW engineering failed their job.

That, sir, is a brilliant fix! Hopefully the aluminum collar doesn't unseat itself at some point in the future; no particular reason it should, but then miles and years can do unexpected things.

My own RT will be out of warranty in four months. If it happens to develop this fuel leak at some point in the future, I will probably do this fix instead of replacing the whole pump unit.

BTW, how many miles on your bike? I'm curious to know what sort of mileage tends to develop these leaks.

Thanks for posting. thumbsup

#751221 - 01/04/12 02:28 PM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Joe Frickin' Friday
Hopefully the aluminum collar doesn't unseat itself at some point in the future; no particular reason it should, but then miles and years can do unexpected things.

Morning Mitch & Scarver

Nice repair Scarver.

That is very similar to the repair I have used on a couple of those cracked pump assemblies now.

Instead of that larger aluminum plate I machine up a smaller concentric ring that simply presses over the cracked boss then use a larger machined ring (like sort of a washer) installed on the threaded part of the quick disconnect fitting to push down & hold positive retention on the ring when the fitting is lightly tightened down. So far the ones I have repaired are holding up good with quite a few miles since repair. (neither bike my own)

As Scarver discovered, installing aftermarket metal quick disconnect fittings is about as good a way as any to crack those pump bosses. On one of the repairs I made the guy had installed metal quick disconnects just prior to the cracking problem. On the other one the cracks developed on their own at around 35,000 miles. Been more than few riders reporting cracked bosses shortly after installing metal quick disconnects. (I'm not sure if it is due to over-tightening or different thread angles)

Neither of my 1200's have cracked yet which is surprising given the many fuel strips I have gone through on the 1200RT. I'm sure the service tecs are none too gentle in horsing those quick disconnects apart.

My plan has been to machine up a couple more metal rings then press those on my bikes before the cracking shows up but it hasn't been a priority. Maybe as a temporary measure I will install a couple 15/16" or 7/8" snap rings on that boss to give it a bit more support until I get around to making some press on sleeves.

Scarver, please keep us updated on how your repair holds up long term.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#751241 - 01/04/12 03:51 PM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: dirtrider]  
RedMac Offline
RedMac  Offline

West Bend, WI
VERY interesting..

One of the projects I was planning on my RT over the winter was to replace the plastic disconnects with metal ones. I think I'm going to rethink that now based on Dirtriders comments.

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - unknown
----------------------
Mike - IBA #38151
06 R1200RT
99 K1200RS - Gone but not forgotten
#751249 - 01/04/12 04:02 PM Re: The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Scarver Offline
Scarver  Offline

Plano, TX, USA
Mitch and dirtrider,

Thanks for your kind words! And Mitch, thanks for re-ordering the pictures - have a wide monitor and didn't think about horizontal scrolling.

Odometer shows 97,425 miles. Installed metal disconnects on 19 Nov 2010 (75,076 miles); put original female plastic fitting back on tank on 3 June 2011 (85,070 miles.)

Will update on effectiveness of fix.

Last edited by Scarver; 01/04/12 04:09 PM.

Herman van Beek
2005 R1200RT (Silver)
Page 6 of 56 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 55 56