IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Thought this might be fun and runs along the picture thread we have had running for quite some time now (since 2007) - Monday S----

Many times we go out, have a great ride whether it be short or long, an afternoon or a week and we just don't do a full ride tale on it.

Well, how about we start this for just those times when you went out, had a great time and just want to throw it out that you rode, it was uneventful, it was fun, you had a great time, you did whatever. You can also just throw out a comment like, "I just went out to the garage and said hello.". or "I changed the pneumatic fluid from summer to winter version."

Post a pic or don't.

I'll start;

Today I hopped on and went about 250 miles to no where. I pulled up to an intersection and looked forward, left, and right and just rolled the dice and went.

Lockeford, Oakdale, Murphy's, Comanche Reservoir, Sonora California were all visited today and several other nondescript places.

Temps were as low as 42 with pea soup fog and as high as 73 with clear and sunny skies. Corners, straights, and braking and accelerating all took place.

Not a care in the world when I returned home, washed her (the bike), said thanks, and tucked her in for the night.

XM was on 'The Pulse' and 'The Blend' the whole way.

Aaaaahhhhh, and my new Gerbing Microwire (picked up a week ago at the IMS in San Mateo) worked flawlessly. It was good to finally retire the old Gerbing with the torn liner and my new one fits so much better!

Paul In Australia

Hi

Today was very good. 547 Km's of great hills roads, see breezes, sunshine and a perfect RT. had a ball. Shrimp for lunch followed by ice cream.

And being a Monday here, no traffic and no performance awards.

No better way to have a Monday

Best regards

Paul

I went over for lunch with some friends about 70 miles away.

Nothing to report until I hit the plains where was enveloped by a thick fog. Temperatures staid in the low 40's all the time. Despite the heated grips I was reminded it's finally time to dig out the winter gloves...

Only one of my friends arrived on his bike: he was cold and miserable as he had the brilliant idea of putting on his leather suit.

On return I was spared the fog (which was building up on the side of the highway). Upon return I checked the oil and that's about it.

If I had knew there was such a dense fog I would have taken my Shoei with its orange visor...

Good timing for the question. Another nice one day ride. The day amazing! 60 at 6.30 am and 75 mid-afternoon. Average high supposed to be 50 something. Found some new roads - imagine! In a large triangle bordered by three major highways I just went following any double-yellow. For locals, the three sides rt. 29/522/211, three corners Warrenton, Culpepper, Sperryville, all in VA. Then extended into WV. Lunch at 2 pm at a Shoney's in Winchester. Total 440 miles. Just got home 30 minutes ago. Yeah, i like to ride...

Cotton Pickin'

Took a little ride yesterday blowing out the GSA.

DSCN2017-1.jpg

Found a few cotton bales.

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2021.jpg

Found a few curves.

DSCN2032.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

DSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2022.jpg

DSCN2034.jpg

DSCN2031.jpg

Nice SKY

DSCN2046.jpg

Road Reflection.

DSCN2042.jpg

All in all a nice day to end the holidays with freezing rain coming tonight.

Ride safely

Terry

Friday: went to Williamsburg up to steel horse classics(MV augusta, motoguzzi, Vespa ). just for the ride, they were closed, about 80 miles round trip, today, went to work about 15 miles round trip. sun: pulled the wheels off the DR, after two trips to the hardware store for Appropriate bits/breaker bar. got my a$$ kicked by a tubed 90/90/21 front tire on the HF rig, took the front and rear to cycle gear and got new tube and tire mounted on front wheel; rear tire I had was wrong size, cycle gear didn't have one. waited for about a half an hour next door at sunrise Suzuki where one of the sales guys said " parts guy will be here in 15 minutes. ". none of the people in the front retail part of the place would tell me if they had a tire in the size I needed. Really? how hard is it guys? left and walked next door , ordered rear tire and left the rim with cycle gear for mounting, will pick up wed. came home, mounted front tire, took it off again and mounted it properly with the axle spacer, had a beer!

Friday: went to Williamsburg up to steel horse classics(MV augusta, motoguzzi, Vespa ). just for the ride, they were closed, about 80 miles round trip, today, went to work about 15 miles round trip. sun: pulled the wheels off the DR, after two trips to the hardware store for Appropriate bits/breaker bar. got my a$$ kicked by a tubed 90/90/21 front tire on the HF rig, took the front and rear to cycle gear and got new tube and tire mounted on front wheel; rear tire I had was wrong size, cycle gear didn't have one. waited for about a half an hour next door at sunrise Suzuki where one of the sales guys said " parts guy will be here in 15 minutes. ". none of the people in the front retail part of the place would tell me if they had a tire in the size I needed. Really? how hard is it guys? left and walked next door , ordered rear tire and left the rim with cycle gear for mounting, will pick up wed. came home, mounted front tire, took it off again and mounted it properly with the axle spacer, had a beer!

Go have second beer!! You earned it!!

I spent the day running errands on the bike. Good practice in dealing with scary parking lot drivers who back blindly out of spaces in oversized SUVs 'cause noone would dare hit them. Also good practice in determining which way the parking places slope.

----

I took a short little ride to my local boat launch ramp in Huntington Harbor, CA. last Saturday, and when I got there and parked my bike, I turned toward the boats and saw this

I took about 230mb of pics and vids which have been requested by the Chief Fire Inspector to try to help determine what happened.

9 people on board and amazingly, nobody was killed.

Other than that, it was just another ride!

Edited by BerndM
I'm lucky, home with family, clean and dry, fed. oh yeah, noone is shooting at me either.

That's a similar line I use on my troops when they are having a bad day and I want to cheer them up.

After eating all the pies our boys, their wives and children went home Sunday morning. What to do, what to do... Went for a ride of course. It was raining, rode anyway. There were places I might have stoped but the rain never let up so no photos. Just over a hundred miles on the beach in the rain. I thought it was a nice ride, guess that is all that matters.

This morning, tire time. The tires are already mounted on my spare wheels. Front tire: Remove the Metzeler ME880 (100/90x19 bias) that I mounted before Torrey in May. Now has 19K. Replace with the same type I took off before the trip with 10K. Rear tire: Remove Shinko E705. Good running handling tire, cheap, $65 - but it lasted only 4K, half of a Tourance or Anakee. So it is not a bargain. Replace with Michelin Pilot Road 3, first time. References are great handling and great mileage. We'll see.

Just in case, I like to do odd things picking tires, but I don't suggest you follow suit.

My fancy wheel balancer:

balancerIMG_1432.jpg

Now I'll have lunch with a Spaten. I deserve it.

Well, last night I went out to the garage and said hi to the Tenere. Lots of work has kept me off her this week. A few more days and then back at it on some exploring.

Hope to make it to Phil's Fish Market in a week or two. I'll post in Ride Planning if it materializes.

Ohh, and I hooked up the Battery Tender. Boo!!!

New fork seals.

And finally, replaced the peg feelers that wore out following Ken, Chris & Joel around north Georgia last winter.

If I rode as well as they do I wouldn't have had to.

:P

It was a balmy 39 degrees so my brother and I were off to Granite Bay to pick up a friend’s trike, (he followed in his car). Then along the Auburn-Folsom Road to Grass Valley, lunch at Humpty Dumpty’s, up to Nevada City, SR 20 to I-80 to Truckee then down SR 89 and home. About 250 miles. A great day for the end of November.

Took off for a short ride on the Yamaha, ran by the local Yamaha dealer to say hi and ran in to SPEED TVs Erin Bates.

Oil Change, Tranny Fluid Change and Primary Gear lube change on the Fatboy. Removed the engine guard and lower legs.

Got the GS ready (pre ride inspection) for an off road ride on Sunday.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Rode the bike about 2 feet forward and 2 feet back so that I could make room for the engine hoist carrying the TR6 engine block for loading in the driveway.

I didn't want to take the chance of something leaky and British touching something dry and German.

Looked like a good day to ride to work. Nothing Mr. Gerbing couldn't handle.

S6301007-L.jpg

Rather than the the usual 22 mile traffic infested commute, I decided to take the long & scenic route.

Yes Billy, there are curves in Florida.

S6301009-L.jpg

A loverly view of the Intracoastal Waterway. Never mind my dodging traffic to get the shot. Damned commuters!

S6301010-L.jpg

My kind of landscape.

S6301012-L.jpg

If you can't make it out, that's a full on M/X track in his front yard. And this is a high end neighborhood.

So after rather than the usual 22 tedious mile commute, I reluctantly pull in to my lab after a pleasant 50+ miles, most of which have been traffic free.

And that's what I did with my bike today.

Yes Billy, there are curves in Florida.

Also, A bunch of giant free roaming Alligators! :eek:

IMG_3338.jpg

And some pretty nice sunsets! :thumbsup:

IMG_3248.jpg

Just spent a few days in south Florida, I think i'm beginning to get it. :thumbsup: I did get to put a few miles on the GT today, pretty good for December!

Pat

Actually rode today for first time since July.

Meds still making me pretty tired and weak, but I had to give it a try.

57 miles in about 50 minutes, all back roads, mostly rolling with some nice sweeping curves.

The GT is built for this and is so smooooooth.

Don't know how I'll feel later, but for now ...

Probably not going to be able to do it regularly, or very often, but I'll take it.

:)

"Actually rode today for first time since July"

:thumbsup::clap::wave:

+1

Glad to hear! :thumbsup: "since July" That's something like eight years in a motorcyclists life! :grin:

Pat

Actually rode today for first time since July.....

:)

Yay Tim. Hope to see you at Cedar Key.

Bill

PS - 3lbs rear, 2lbs front, cleaned the bug facing bits.

Edited by Highway41

Rode to work. It is 25 miles, but it was a nice morning so it was 70. Temp was high 20/low 30. I had a real bad minute: Narrow two-lane, no painted lines. Straight, going uphill. When it started going uphill, I had the low sun sitting directly on the road. I could see NOTHING! I was prepared for it, so I stopped and then inched forward on the clutch just looking down to the right edge of the road. All the time praying nobody comes from behind because guaranteed he would run into me. The rest was very nice.

Fed Ex delivered the shift extender for the new 1150RT. Talked my neighbor into letting me store the 1100 in her garage for a while so I can park my car in our garage again.... Shoveled snow, and bought a new helmet and a Backoff brake light signal module at MotorGear Outlet's warehouse sale.

Changed oil on the 90S...Fired up the ol' girl, plugged in the Widder vest (39 at 7am), headed up to check the cabin as we've had high winds for a few days. All's good, but power out and it's been out for a few days. Cleaned up pine branches and needles for a few hours, then back on the bike for a return trip to the valley. Cool, clear and unreal visibilty...All the way from the Sierra foothills to Mt Diablo, prob 100 miles. We usually have fog this time of year, so a clear day is fine by me.

Saw 1 bike in 4 hrs riding, a squid blastin' up Hwy 4. No body out. Amazing. Did give 'em one of these :wave: though.

MB>

Today was errands done on the bike. No better way to do errands than on a bike. Went to the other local Yamaha dealer to introduce myself and check things out. Picked up a new chin curtain for my helmet as the old one is torn. Went and got the glass repaired on my iPhone. A good day!

Went and got the glass repaired on my iPhone.

Real riders (ie, GS) use cracked glass on their cell phone as a testament to their off road prowess. How much time did you spend at the next door Starschmucks, hmmm? :grin:

Real riders (ie, GS) use cracked glass on their cell phone as a testament to their off road prowess. How much time did you spend at the next door Starschmucks, hmmm? :grin:

This real rider has used phone with said cracked glass for so long he now has a permanent set of scars on face from glass cutting deeply in to skin. Phone was dropped off after crossing raging river, gnarly hill, and 6 lane road. During river crossing I leaned down and scooped water up in to my mouth so I could swish it around and mix it with the coffee grounds I had already in there. Just a bout one handful of grounds and a handful of river water or stagnant pool water makes a great cuppa at this ratio. No Starshmuck's necessary!

This real rider has used phone with said cracked glass for so long he now has a permanent set of scars on face from glass cutting deeply in to skin. Phone was dropped off after crossing raging river, gnarly hill, and 6 lane road. During river crossing I leaned down and scooped water up in to my mouth so I could swish it around and mix it with the coffee grounds I had already in there. Just a bout one handful of grounds and a handful of river water or stagnant pool water makes a great cuppa at this ratio. No Starshmuck's necessary!

..prolly should stay away from discussing water crossings with Danny....unless you sell carpet.

:rofl:

..prolly should stay away from discussing water crossings with Danny....unless you sell carpet.

:rofl:

Har dee har.

Edited by Huzband

just went looking for a little local dirt. settled for a couple of fields and a railroad byway...

smugshot4549974-L.jpg

DR is hard to beat for the money.

I didn't do anything with my bike today. :( Ok, I drooled on the seat if you must know, :grin:my boy's hockey game. Chris, how does the DR compare with the XC you had and what prompted the change?

Pat

Just got back from a nice day ride. Loop into Virginia. For the locals, breakfast at "Old Salem" in Marshall VA, backroads past Luray and I81, Playing around to Front Royal, lunch, home.

Just got back from a 450 mile loop into east GA with Highway41 and George. Had lunch in downtown Savannah at B. Mathews Eatery. Nice back roads to get and slabed it home, running out of time. Perfect weather for a ride.

No pictures, but I got a GPS track.

Got out for a little less than two hours on Sunday afternoon. Nice back roads in northern MD and southern PA and then back home again.

theXC was fun, but TALL. I had a couple of episodes of falling over due to inseam deficiency, once involved fishing it out of a crick'. someone at work expressed interest at a good price and I let it go. Found the DR on Craigslist , already had after market suspension, Corbin seat, bark busters and heated grips. 20k miles, 2k$. MUCH easier to handle height wise, reliable, and service/dealers everywhere.

primary reason I parted with the XC was height, I just wasn't confident enough on it. the DR is a tractor, put it in first and you can just chug right through or over most of what I off road, nothing really technical, although the DR did great on hurricane creek road out in Maggie valley area in October . that road has some fairly interesting topography, water crossings, and challenges.

Didn't do anything today, but Saturday I went out testing some new products for my company. I got in about 110 miles. With all the work that's been going on, plus missing both Spring and Fall Torrey events for the first time in my life, I didn't realize that I probably only got about 1000 miles in for the whole year. And I've promised myself to do something about that.

So, I topped off the 26psi that was meekly hiding inside each tire, put a bit of fresh gas in the tank (not much as I only have enough Sta-Bil left to handle about 3 gallons this winter), and headed off in 34-degrees (it did hit 39 degrees at one point). The products worked fine, but some more development is needed before they're ready for market. Even more important, I didn't feel like a fish out of water. The time off didn't turn me into a complete boob. I recognized the possibility, so I was extra cautious. But with dry roads despite the cold, I found a fairly entertaining pace and good traction. My timing was good, corner entry good (I like to late apex on public roads, for a little added safety), lines fair to decent, and I'll admit to draggin a toe on a corner that was a bit tighter than I'd anticipated, although if pressed I'd have to admit that the toes sort of, uh, "reached" just to see how far away the asphalt was.

Good ride. Stayed warm (natch!). Only one mountie, and Mr. Valentine warned me way ahead of time. Even stopped at a restaurant for some homemade vegetable soup, which by all measures should have been called a stew, but either way it was goooood!. Homemade wheat rolls, too. Mmmmm.

Came home, took off the bags so she'd snuggle tight up against the garage wall, wiped her down, put in that Sta-Bil, hooked up the Battery Tender and put her undercover.

It's been cold and rainy for the last week so the bike has stayed in the garage. For some, 39 degrees is not cold; but after the 100+ degree summer here in Houston, anything under 60 degrees seems pretty chilly. I wouldn't mind the cold and rain on a trip. However, bundling up for a 30 mile ride to work; well, it's a hassle. Plus, I kinda like the cage for listening to talk radio and having a cup of coffee...every once in a while.

Amazing how much junk (e.g., boxes, chairs, etc.) can accumulate around the bike when it's just sitting.

No worries though. Houston winters only last ~3 weeks.