IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Paul Mihalka

Rode to work. In the plan was some bike maintenance by our shop technician. Full brake fluid flush. Replace 150K throttle cables with 20K mile cables from ebay. Replace well worn rear brake disk with close to new disk from ebay. New EBC rear brake pads. Found rear drive flange where the disk mounts with cracked attachment points. Ordered new flange. Got a ride home. Grrrrrrrrr

I love ebay, the flea market of the internet!

We rode into town yesterday for our monthly club meeting. Lots of video, which meant I had to learn how to edit and cut it down to a lots smaller size.

Some of Jean on her Monster.

Edited by dhanson
Last night I wiped down what was earlier a weep from the FD, but it's now a full on leak. It's from the right side, & I have the new seal. I'll fix it this weekend.

Seal NOT replaced today. Whilst back there I checked it for play. 12-6 revealed a couple of mm of thunk. Still close enough to earlier replacement warranty to garner me another one. I hope. 23k on the first, 20k on this one. :P

The day wasn't a total loss, though, I replaced the brake pads. At 43k on the oems, with a sixteenth left on the fronts, I think I maximized my moneys worth. :thumbsup:

And Matt was kind enough to feel sorry for me. As for Phil... well, you know Phil. :/

Edited by Huzband
Firefight911
As for Phil... well, you know Phil. :/

Dude, seriously, I'm crushed! CRUSHED, I tell you!!!! You can't ride the thing at all now. Man, first it was only three days in a week. Now, zero. Too bad!

Time to dust off the Huffy!

Went to Pensicola, Fl. from Tallahassee with three friends, this past Saturday, to visit the new BMW dealership. While there we test drove a K1600GT. Although it is an amazing motorcycle, I still love my RT. 400 mile round trip. Despite it being all highway miles, it was a great day.

FYI. The guys at the Pensicola dealership informed us that a new dealership is opening in Jacksonville, Fl. very soon.

Edited by Ron-M
As for Phil... well, you know Phil. :/

Dude, seriously, I'm crushed! CRUSHED, I tell you!!!! You can't ride the thing at all now. Man, first it was only three days in a week. Now, zero. Too bad!

Time to dust off the Huffy!

Har dee har :grin:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I thought about them locked up in my garage 400 miles away while I am experiencing some of the renown Southern California winter. It's the best riding weather ever.

Well..this story starts last thursday night. Riding home from work and OIL GOES EVERYWHERE!! The entire oil fill cap assembly came off the bike spraying oil all over the left side of the bike, up my pants leg, jacket, inside and outside my helmet! What a PITA! The pants (just a cheap pair of canvas overalls) RUINED, Olympia Airglide jacket RUINED (unless someone knows how to get oil out of it without ruining it), First Gear gloves RUINED, Boots SAVED, Helmet..I'm not sure yet. Used an entire bottle of degreaser and a bottle of S100 and the bike is still not clean. So, still working on getting it all cleaned up. A $10 part purchased and installed in less than 15seconds but oh the collateral damage!!!!

Must have been regular oil, would never happen with special German synthetic oil. :)

Try Simple Green, soak the clothes in a bucket or tub with it. You may have to do several soakings. The pants, if not armoured riding pants can be drycleaned, which will remove oil. But they can't have any plastic trim or armour. The gloves can be cleaned in a bucket with soap(dish washing soap) and then treated with mink oil or a similar product.

Must have been regular oil, would never happen with special German synthetic oil. :)

Try Simple Green, soak the clothes in a bucket or tub with it. You may have to do several soakings. The pants, if not armoured riding pants can be drycleaned, which will remove oil. But they can't have any plastic trim or armour. The gloves can be cleaned in a bucket with soap(dish washing soap) and then treated with mink oil or a similar product.

I've tried another degreaser similar to simple green on the clothes with no luck. I'll give simple green a shot.

Lovely day ... went out to start the bike to ride to work.

Urururur ... click-click-click ...

What absolute clown left the GPS on and running off the bike's battery for the past 48 hours?

Oh! :dopeslap:

Glad I live on a hill, 'cause the battery tender would have taken forever to belt some charge into it.

Oh well, battery's a bit long in the tooth, might be time for a new one anyway.

Rode over to the Golden Gate Bridge. Parked on the Marin (north) side, walked accross the bridge to the San Francisco side then back. Temps in the mid-60's but a bit hazy, not too crowded. 225 miles round trip, 67 mpg. Not a bad way to spend a Monday!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Rode to work after taking three weeks off. Hand only slightly tender after getting Trigger Finger Release.

Plan on riding the rest of the week and further until it starts raining so, that should be until March.

Hand only slightly tender after getting Trigger Finger Release.

Not to hijack the thread, but what did you have done? I have stenosing tenosynovitis in both hands; particularly bad first thing in the morning.

Do not dilute it to much, you may have to use 50/50.

Well..Simple Green to the rescue. After 2 soakings of a couple hours in hot water with simple green and 1 soaking with laundry detergent. You can still see the staining on the jacket but it appears that the actual oil is gone. It is no longer slippery and has a nice smell of Licorice from the simple green. The gloves and pants went thru the same plus 2 trips thru the washing machine. So, besides the cosmetic blemish of the stain I think all is salvagable! ...on a side note Bernie, I will no longer be purchasing the other "degreaser" and am switching to Simple Green.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
. You can still see the staining on the jacket but it appears that the actual oil is gone.

Battle scars. :rofl:

Merely broken in...

Changed the oil and tranny fluid (oh, the parts manager at LB said BMW is discontinuing their 75-90 red tranny fluid and will be using the Castrol liquid gold stuff in trannys exclusively), installed the circular valve cover gaskets that I forgot to do the other day, installed new valve cover protectors courtesy of parking lot incident at work, forgot to put in air filter, so I will do that tomorrow, along with rear drive oil.

I had ordered some service stuff from B'boneyard including crush washers and o rings, but the crush washer for the oil drain plug wasn't the right fit, and the o ring to the oil fill hole was too small in diameter, and girth. So I used the old ones 'til the 42k service. :(

Sunday I flushed the brake fluid, installed alternator belt, adjusted valves, synced TB, all with help from Tech Daze crew. Thanks to Joe, David, Larry, Bill, Frank and Don.

LB BMW didn't have any flange nuts for the rear pivot point because they just re-use them with loctite, so he ordered me one. How many here with '05s and '06s change that nut when they drop the FD?

Went on a nice dinner ride with with my wife as pillion and the River City Beemers club. Auburn Ale House was the destination and I had an amazing pulled pork sammich! Brought home a Barleywine aged in Zin barrels.

I was in my office all day yesterday, and not really paying attention to anything outside of that. I happened to pull up the weather on my computer, and the temps were supposedly in the high 50's, which for Baltimore in the second week of January, is rather unusual.

I left at 4:00 and headed home, got into my gear and went out for about 90 minutes on nothing but backroads.

:)

I was in my office all day yesterday, and not really paying attention to anything outside of that. I happened to pull up the weather on my computer, and the temps were supposedly in the high 50's, which for Baltimore in the second week of January, is rather unusual.

I left at 4:00 and headed home, got into my gear and went out for about 90 minutes on nothing but backroads.

:)

Same here. Did fifty plus miles on the way home from work today. Might as well maximize before I trailer it down to Daytona tomorrow to have the FD rebuilt. :P

Difference is, I kept having to turn DOWN the Gerbings. :grin:

Edited by Huzband

Dude, really!?!?!?!? Your Gerbing turned you down LOOOOONNNGGGGG ago!!!!

Have a nice day tomorrow.....trailer boy!!!!

Phone call on the way. :/

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I rode it. Maybe I'll post some pictures later.

Oh look! My old (very old) but trusty S400 needs service.

Enjoy what little I was able to capture:

IMG1221-L.jpg

IMG1225-L.jpg

IMG1229-L.jpg

I saved the best for last: A beautiful scene overlooking the Pacific Ocean from Meyers Grade Road:

IMG1222-L.jpg:/

You're such a putz. In the long term, let's see how that Jappahammer works out for ya. :grin:

Rode to work today. 42 miles, at about 30 degrees at 5am and I couldn't find the accessory outlet pigtail for my Gerbings. ;( So just finished installing the hardwired connection to the battery. It is now ziptied and coming out from under the tank...sure hope I don't lose it now!

side note..anybody need an accessory outlet pigtail for a gerbing?

Utah... ought to be under feet of snow if weather was acting normal. Had a spell of warm and today hit 45F and That's it.. time to ride.

Suited up, removed the winter blanket, cranked her right over... amazing how much the RT seems to just come alive in the colder temperatures.

Nice ride and there you, go another 2-3 months of nap.

Well, weather forecast was for a day in the low-90s, so we thought a bike ride was in order. Brother-in-law and sister-in-law are staying with us from the US, so they drove our car while Dearly Beloved and I rode the RT.

Left Perth about 9.15 and headed for Toodyay, in the Perth hills, about an hour and a half from home.

It's a popular bike destination because no matter which way you go, there are some nice twisties.

It's also a popular breakfast spot. Here's a bit of the bike line-up. (Hmmm, time the Christmas decorations came down!)

b8e08866.jpg

7a69fd21.jpg

The cafe is dedicated to Coca-Cola and as you can see, is semi-alfresco. Sausages (links) eggs, hash browns, toast and good strong black coffee. All right!

b232f51d.jpg

The lolly shop (candy store) is rather famous, and has a great selection. We can't go to Toodyay without a visit:

50196b30.jpg

d17b2847.jpg

e2f35a7a.jpg

6494d30b.jpg

Had a quick look at the old mill before heading for home again.

8058bb62.jpg

684f0c41.jpg

33abcb7f.jpg

Took the long way back and got home mid-afternoon. It was in the mid-90s by now and humid. After a few domestic chores, we thought about the best way to end a pleasant, though warm, Sunday.

Ahh, yes ... perfect:

Mmmmm .... beer.

9eee4f87.jpg

A warm garage, a warm beverage and snow falling outside meant one thing, it was time to install the HID's that had been sitting on the tool box this last month. Let there be light, serious light.

Today and yesterday I did my first service by myself on the RT. I had some BMWST guys helping me out the first two times. The bike has 18K miles on it now. it was in the 60's here!

I changed the oil, spark plugs, final drive oil, lubed the splines and had a friend help to mount some new PR3's. Going to put new front brake pads, add speed bleeders and bleed the brakes next month at my clubs tech day.

Saturday January 14, 2012. Rode my bike in the 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston, TX. Sitting backwards on the bike was a professional photographer.

The Olympic Trials marathon determines the top three men and top three women runners who will represent the USA in London for the 2012 Olympics.

Our mission: Ride along side the best marathoners in the country and take pictures.

It's a lot of work to ride at 12mph with a wiggling photographer on the back.

So cool to combine my two passions: motorcycle riding and running.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I made a special trip to Olmstead Point on the Tioga Road today in anticipation of it's closing for the season at 7:00 PM local time.

We stopped at Olmstead Point at 3:00, and only really stuck around long enough to make some coffee. It was 29 degrees and falling and we wanted to be all the way off the hill before the freeze.

TiogaRoad-3-L.jpg

TiogaRoad-6-L.jpg

TiogaRoad-4-L.jpg

TiogaRoad-10-L.jpg

By the way. Since Yosemite started keeping records in 1933, this year was the longest that the Tioga Road has ever been open, and for historical sake, the entrance station at Tioga Pass was staffed last weekend. (I'm sure it didn't hurt to collect entrance fees either.)

Edited by b o n e y

Beautiful stuff Tom!!!!

Me? Rode around in a fire engine all day, honking and wooing as I went.

I did ride in this morning though. That's something......I guess.

Plan to ride Thursday. We'll see how the weather holds out as to how long I go. Prolly go west and/or south to somewhere. I dunno where. Marin Headlands? City? Modesto? Who knows, who cares...as long as it's on two wheels!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Beautiful stuff Tom!!!!

Me? Rode around in a fire engine all day, honking and wooing as I went.

I did ride in this morning though. That's something......I guess.

Plan to ride Thursday. We'll see how the weather holds out as to how long I go. Prolly go west and/or south to somewhere. I dunno where. Marin Headlands? City? Modesto? Who knows, who cares...as long as it's on two wheels!

If by chance you're in The City on Thursday stop by Turk x Webster for a cuppa joe. BTW, the NWS is calling for a 90% chance of rain out that way.

:cry:

You folks need to go a little easy on us "seasonally impaired" riders.

Got it........

Whirlwind two days!!!

A couple days ago I got off duty at the firehouse, rode home and hung out with 2bmwfan and 3bmwfan for a couple hours. Hopped on the scoot and shot down to San Francisco after they went off to a planned women folk type event to have coffee with Boney, who was on duty in the city. On the way there, I stopped at the Marin Headlands to enjoy the view....

P1010411-L.jpg

That's Alcatraz on the island in the background.

P1010413-L.jpg

P1010414-L.jpg

P1010415-L.jpg

P1010416-L.jpg

P1010420-L.jpg

This is the road up to the Headlands. Real nice except for the 25 mph speed limit.

P1010418-L.jpg

I knew rain was coming but I did a great job of being in front of it most of the time. I love the Doppler radar on my Zumo 665. Spent some quality time talking fire, coffee, motorcycle trips, bikes, etc. and then headed back to home. It was raining but it's only water and the Super inspires confidence. I got back in front of the rain in Fairfield and then got back in to it as I reentered Sacramento. Got home, hosed off the crud (lots of residue from the first rain crap picked up off the roadway), wiped off the windscreen and mirrors and, BBBRRRRIIIINNNNGGGGGGG, the phone rings. It is work and I am being called in as we are sending a strike team to Reno due to the fires that are being whipped up with the wind. I shoot to work within 10 minutes and am now playing back fill for the team that went out. 5 hours later, strike team canceled and I'm home.

Flash forward a day I'm back in to work (raining like a son of a gun so I came in with the car) after playing all day with 2bmwfan and 3bmwfan. Running errands, playing, hanging out, playing, you get the picture. So, in between the calls for service I finally placed the order for my Touratech Zega Pro side cases. I am going with the 31/38 silver anodized to match my top case. Went with the 31/38 so that my cases do not extend past my handlebar width. Since I do split lanes, that is important to me.

WooHoo!! One more major off the list. All that is left now is the suspension. Oh, got an email from James at Super Plush to let me know my new fork springs have shipped and are due in on the 25th. Looks like another trip to San Francisco is in order within the next week or so!!!!!

I have to say that was one heck of a good two days!!

::015:: ::015::

Yesterday Kevin and I rode the bikes to a new housing development in the area to make sure we could fit 2 RTs and 2 cars in the garage. Today we went back to sign a contract on one.

Great day for a ride, 280 miles. Meet a friend in the morning and rode the long way to Micanopy for some BBQ and pie. Then we rode a longer way home. It topped out at 81 F, a little warm, no rain ror fog as in the forecast. Now it is time to change tires for Cedar Key. Hoping to find that one curve, that the DOT didn't find and removed yet. :rofl:

Put 43 miles on the old bike riding in the Santa Monica's (4.75k' elev. gain).

Did the Snake (Mulholland Hwy) & West Lake twice.

Oh wait, you meant motorcycle :dopeslap:

Did a 35 mile point A to point B slab ride on the RT.

Yawn :P