BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 4 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#760611 - 02/19/12 03:22 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: lkchris]
Killer Offline

Loc: Wayne County, Utah, USA
Originally Posted By: lkchris
Originally Posted By: Killer
Although I don't care, what Tebow does is not a display of morality.

Guess you missed his charity work.

It should be obvious that I mean his on-field displays! I know nothing else about him nor do I care to.

Facebook
Flickr
Blog

#760613 - 02/19/12 03:28 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: CoarsegoldKid]
Whip Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted By: CoarsegoldKid
Every month I get the knock on my door. When we moved to our current location my wife was asked which church she belonged to frequently by patients she treated. It seemed to be a big deal. The guy that reads the water meter or checks the septic system every month always tried to engage me in scripture to prove or disprove a social issue. I assumed that he who could recite scripture was trying to raise his station in life above that which he compared an assumption of mine. I could care less. My mantra is if you need religion to get you through your day by all means embrace it. Just don't expect me to embrace it. If Tebow feels strongly more power to him. If he falters he will fall hard on his crusading sword. Whitney faltered and didn't have very far to fall.

Peace on earth or earth in pieces.

That would bother me.

I work in a tourist area. I see thousands of folks every day. No one has ever come up to me and said anything about my religion. We have had Nazis, Communist, Tea Party, Occupiers, and Presidents on Alamo Plaza over the years, but never an organized church.

But then again I was just told I need to open my eyes so....

Whatever
We are spending more money than we have ever spent before, and it does not work. After eight years we have just as much unemployment as when we started, and an enormous debt to boot. H Morgenthau 1939

#760614 - 02/19/12 03:31 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Whip]
Killer Offline

Originally Posted By: Whip

That would bother me.

I work in a tourist area. I see thousands of folks every day. No one has ever come up to me and said anything about my religion. We have had Nazis, Communist, Tea Party, Occupiers, and Presidents on Alamo Plaza over the years, but never an organized church.

But then again I was just told I need to open my eyes so....

Whatever

I've notified the appropriate parties in several religious organizations...

(I've never been approached by Mormons in Torrey but the Jehovas have been twice, nice people, we had a pleasant chat and I told them I wasn't interested in their religion or any other.)

Facebook
Flickr
Blog

#760615 - 02/19/12 03:37 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Living the Dream]
DiggerJim Offline

Loc: Simsbury, CT
Originally Posted By: Living the Dream
You must live in an exclusive neighborhood where no one knocks on your doors. You must never go out in public and have strangers walk up to you to hand you a watchtower booklet. You must never go into department stores and have strangers walk up to you asking you about Jesus or if you have been saved.....in other words, you must not get out much.

Hmmmm....CT doesn't seem so bad after all (even with this whole winter thing) if that's what happens to folks where you live. I too haven't had the people at my door (I'm on a main road, no gated community or anything). I've friends who are Mormons but they haven't shown up proselytizing either. I've seen a Watchtower booklet in gas stations when I travel but haven't seen whoever it is that puts them out. And I would be shocked if strangers walked up to me while shopping asking anything (except maybe the time or directions) - it's just not done here. I thought I got out a lot (I do 100K air miles and half that with cars/bikes/boats) but maybe that's not so much after all. Or maybe there's some pheromone that repels those folks - kind of like the one that attracts cats to people who dislike them or mosquitoes to the bitten ones smile

Bottom line is that YMMV vis a vis religious folks who come visiting. Now if I could get those little people who have the cookies to come around I wouldn't need to get out much smile I love the chocolate mint ones!
2000 R1200C Ice (Frost) Blue - oilhead 1200
1996 CBR600 Joe Camel Special - hooligan bike
1986 KZ650 Green - classic old school
IBA #35635

#760616 - 02/19/12 03:39 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DiggerJim]
Whip Offline

Originally Posted By: DiggerJim
Originally Posted By: Living the Dream
You must live in an exclusive neighborhood where no one knocks on your doors. You must never go out in public and have strangers walk up to you to hand you a watchtower booklet. You must never go into department stores and have strangers walk up to you asking you about Jesus or if you have been saved.....in other words, you must not get out much.

Hmmmm....CT doesn't seem so bad after all (even with this whole winter thing) if that's what happens to folks where you live. I too haven't had the people at my door (I'm on a main road, no gated community or anything). I've friends who are Mormons but they haven't shown up proselytizing either. I've seen a Watchtower booklet in gas stations when I travel but haven't seen whoever it is that puts them out. And I would be shocked if strangers walked up to me while shopping asking anything (except maybe the time or directions) - it's just not done here. I thought I got out a lot (I do 100K air miles and half that with cars/bikes/boats) but maybe that's not so much after all. Or maybe there's some pheromone that repels those folks - kind of like the one that attracts cats to people who dislike them or mosquitoes to the bitten ones smile

Bottom line is that YMMV vis a vis religious folks who come visiting. Now if I could get those little people who have the cookies to come around I wouldn't need to get out much smile I love the chocolate mint ones!

You need to open your eyes more

rofl
We are spending more money than we have ever spent before, and it does not work. After eight years we have just as much unemployment as when we started, and an enormous debt to boot. H Morgenthau 1939

#760619 - 02/19/12 04:10 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Whip]
Killer Offline

One should note that it's not possible to approach Whip's house, it's a private gated commune of attack dogs.

Facebook
Flickr
Blog

#760623 - 02/19/12 04:33 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Killer]
Whip Offline

Originally Posted By: Killer
One should note that it's not possible to approach Whip's house, it's a private gated commune of attack dogs.

I have only lived there for ten years.

#760640 - 02/19/12 06:52 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
Originally Posted By: DaveTheAffable
And... the other problem is, there is a HUGE difference in what is labled as "religion".

Wiccans are considered a "religion"
Satan Worshippers are considered a "religion"
Mother Earth worshipers are considered a "religion"

...and they are not even remotely close to what might be called Christian, Judaism, or Islam. So... "all" religion is bad.

And there are "modern" faiths that claim to be "christian", and yet... they aren't. smirk

No doubt, plenty of bad things have been done in the name of "religion".

Dave,

To be quite clear, one can find plenty of outright criminal behavior done in the name of mainstream religion, and sanctioned by them. The latter is my main point. You don't need some fringe cult to bring up the older history like Crusades (convert, or die), or the foul treatment and imprisonment of scienctific geniuses by the Church itself (Galileo, Copernicus, et. al. for daring to suggest the Heliocentric Theory), the Salem Witch Trials, or in more modern times the genocide and ethnic cleanings (Bosnia, Darfur, et. al.), and we could go on and on. Really, we could! The list never ends. People gleefully killing other people in the name of religion, more often than not historically, at least, with the full blessings of their Pope or priests or mullahs or whatever.

I am not an atheist. I do not think the choice is atheist or religious. There are many shades in between and the word "secular" hasn't been brought up here, but surely it has its place.

My main point is when you ask why some people have distaste for religious organizations, my answer is simply "history." History is pretty indicative of what theocracies amount to. To be sure there is plenty of good works done in the name of religion, but plenty of blood spilled needlessly as well - and that's not by some fringe groups. That's with the full knowledge and support of the religious organizations in charge at the times of the events. After "history" we have "politics," which is what happens when those with certain views try to legislate said views onto others who don't necessarily hold those views. Again, leaves a bad taste in the mouths of those of us who value our personal freedom and civil rights.

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

#760641 - 02/19/12 06:58 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
PS

My name is "Moshe Levy." Says so right on the letters they bring to my door most Sundays when they ring the bell and hand me a pamphlet about how I need to be "saved." (From what, I have no idea, but they're trying hard to convince me I need it!). You would think with a name like "Moshe" they would just skip my house, but alas....

I also live in a state where, in order not to offend certain sensibilites in here, I shall say only that there have been some ballot initiatives here re whether certain people should be allowed to marry or not. My phone rings twice per day, at least - usually during dinner - with some church or another soliciting their view on why some people are an "abomination." Really? In 2012?

But I digress... You asked why people have a distaste? Stuff like this.

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

#760642 - 02/19/12 07:03 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Whip]
KDeline Offline

Originally Posted By: Whip

I see thousands of folks every day. No one has ever come up to me and said anything about my religion.

I find that incredibly lucky. I was delivering products to a house last week. As I am driving away, a guy waving his arms, FLAGS me down. I thought he was broke down, until......He says do I have a radio? Can I turn it to this channel? Before I even get to it I said "Its a holy roller station right?" He then begins talking Jesus. I am slowly pulling away and he is following, jabbering all the way. I must have a sign on my forhead because I get these knuckleheads a few times a month.

Page 4 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 32 >