BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#761162 - 02/22/12 08:00 AM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: cpayne]
Bill Lumberg Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Southeast
I have an 04 RTP with 33K on it. It's been excellent. Basic maintenance, to include full brake flush, replaced a taillight bulb, otherwise flawless (still haven't figured out whether the 04 evo brake system has both front and rear wheels linked at both hand and foot lever, I suppose I don't ride aggressively enough).

#761180 - 02/22/12 09:16 AM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: Bill Lumberg]
cpayne Offline

Loc: RIchmond, VA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lumberg
I have an 04 RTP with 33K on it. It's been excellent. Basic maintenance, to include full brake flush, replaced a taillight bulb, otherwise flawless (still haven't figured out whether the 04 evo brake system has both front and rear wheels linked at both hand and foot lever, I suppose I don't ride aggressively enough).

I don't know about this on mine either. I may have my son sit on it and apply the brakes individually and watch the calipers. Should be simple enough.

#761675 - 02/24/12 12:53 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: cpayne]
dJames Offline

Loc: California
I also have recently purchased an 04 RT-P. Originally it only had 24k on it and I have put on 12k so far in 18 months. Good bike, lots of fun. Buy a book and learn how to the maintenance.
I only had to replace the ignition coils when I first bought it (900$ in partsand labor (ouch)), but that is all.
Have fun.
Dennis

#761676 - 02/24/12 12:56 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: Bill Lumberg]
SAAB93driver Online

Loc: Lakeland, FL USA
.... (still haven't figured out whether the 04 evo brake system has both front and rear wheels linked at both hand and foot lever, I suppose I don't ride aggressively enough).

Put the bike on centerstand and push on the rear brake while someone tries to rotate the front wheel.
'11 SAAB 9-5 Aero

#761689 - 02/24/12 01:48 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: Bill Lumberg]
Boffin Offline

Administrator

Loc: Leicestershire, UK

The R1150 RT-P has partial linked brakes. The bar lever operates both brakes, the foot lever only the rear. I wish that I had that system on my civilian RT.

Andy

2004 R1150RT : traded for:
2002 R850R SE
1986 K100RT
2013 Kawasaki W800

"No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not knock those who work with him. Don't knock your friends. Don't knock your enemies. Don't knock yourself." Alfred Lord Tennyson

#761695 - 02/24/12 02:15 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: dJames]
cpayne Offline

Originally Posted By: dJames
I also have recently purchased an 04 RT-P. Originally it only had 24k on it and I have put on 12k so far in 18 months. Good bike, lots of fun. Buy a book and learn how to the maintenance.
I only had to replace the ignition coils when I first bought it (900$ in partsand labor (ouch)), but that is all.
Have fun.
Dennis

I have been practicing for my riding test in the evenings and I'm enjoying it so far. Needs TB sync and I'm going to flush the brakes,clutch, trans and check it all out before I go on any significant rides.
My coils were done in 09, so I hope I'm good.
I have all the manuals plus everyone here has been great with info, so no worries on doing any repairs.

#761697 - 02/24/12 02:18 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: Boffin]
cpayne Offline

Originally Posted By: Boffin

The R1150 RT-P has partial linked brakes. The bar lever operates both brakes, the foot lever only the rear. I wish that I had that system on my civilian RT.

Andy

Would this be standard on all authority bikes of that year? I have heard there are many options that can be added by a dealer for a Police department.

Last night while on the bike I applied the lever brake and thought I heard both sets of brakes engage as you describe, but I'm not 100%

Edited by cpayne (02/24/12 02:18 PM)

#761702 - 02/24/12 02:29 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: cpayne]
Boffin Offline

Administrator

Loc: Leicestershire, UK
Originally Posted By: cpayne

Andy

Would this be standard on all authority bikes of that year? I have heard there are many options that can be added by a dealer for a Police department.

Last night while on the bike I applied the lever brake and thought I heard both sets of brakes engage as you describe, but I'm not 100%

That is the standard for all years of 1150 Authority bikes. Whereas there are a lot of options for Authority bikes, the brake system was not one of them. It would be a very large cost to change from the standard system which allows better low-speed control to a non-standard system that reduces low-speed control - in the order of thousands of dollars per bike.

Andy

2004 R1150RT : traded for:
2002 R850R SE
1986 K100RT
2013 Kawasaki W800

"No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not knock those who work with him. Don't knock your friends. Don't knock your enemies. Don't knock yourself." Alfred Lord Tennyson

#761709 - 02/24/12 02:47 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: Boffin]
cpayne Offline

Originally Posted By: cpayne

Andy

That is the standard for all years of 1150 Authority bikes. Whereas there are a lot of options for Authority bikes, the brake system was not one of them. It would be a very large cost to change from the standard system which allows better low-speed control to a non-standard system that reduces low-speed control - in the order of thousands of dollars per bike.

Andy

Thanks for the information. Just made me like the bike even more!

#762243 - 02/27/12 12:53 PM Re: My New To Me 04 RTP [Re: cpayne]
biometrics Offline

Loc: Winchester, VA
Here's my 1999 R1100RT-P that I converted for 2-Up Seating with parts from forum members and a couple from ebay... She is a SWEET ride! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Attachments
TwoSeatBike-small.jpg (45 downloads)

My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >