BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#761633 - 02/24/12 09:30 AM Re: Let's be careful out there... [Re: CVA-42]
Secret Buzzard Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
I'm not going to say it's the perfect solution or answer, but what other one can you come up with? You can pass a hundred laws against cell phone use and texting but people will not obey them if there's no (or a slim) chance of them getting caught. They don't think it's any worse of an offense than speeding. Everybody does it, only a small minority get pulled over. It would depend on the range of the jammer. Seems to me that would increase out of doors due to line of sight being longer. They're obviously not paying attention now so how much worse can it be? Probably work best in rush hour, bumper-to-bumper as opposed to open traffic on an expressway, but still. And if I can annoy just a few of them... Just a thought. I don't have one, but I keep thinking about it (jammer, not thought!)
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050

#761644 - 02/24/12 09:57 AM Re: Let's be careful out there... [Re: CVA-42]
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida
2003 K 1200 GT Mearas Luhn

#761647 - 02/24/12 10:48 AM Re: Let's be careful out there... [Re: CVA-42]
RPG Offline

Loc: Detroit Metro Area
Northern Georgia on a /5 has to be one of life's great pleasures. Glad you weren't hurt or worse.

I don't use my cell phone in the car. I've found that even glancing down at the screen can put me in a very dangerous state of mind. It's not worth taking a life to make a stupid call.

We as humans muti-task too much. It's starting to catch up to us.

More time on a /5 would put many a Therapist out of business smile

RPG

#761661 - 02/24/12 11:34 AM Re: Let's be careful out there... [Re: CVA-42]
CVA-42 Offline

Loc: Hoschton, GA
Yep, the roads around here are nirvana for /5's and /2's. I'm not excusing the cell phoners one bit but my personal mistake yesterday was waiting too long to ride. Ergo, I put myself in the middle of what passes for "rush hour" around here. Once I got out of our little town, all was well. Having had those experiences yesterday, I came back and refreshed myself on Georgia law vis a vis "wireless communication" by drivers. No such communication in any form is permitted for drivers under age 18. No use of cell phones for "anything other than talking" is permitted for all others, i.e., no text messaging, checking e-mail, etc. Georgia may be moving toward a total ban on hand-held cell phones while driving but I guess the politicians figure that they don't yet have sufficient "cover" to weather the probable criticism. Not to be flippant, but I personally believe there haven't been enough injuries/fatalities to provide cover for them yet. I don't know when that point is reached. For me, it happened several years ago when my truck and empty bike trailer were rear-ended by a cell phone gabber who didn't even get off the phone when the police came! Every once in awhile a tragedy occurs that is so bad that it causes an outcry to ban cell phones while driving but then it seems to just go away until the next time. Like the time a few years ago when a sixteen year-old driving an SUV while talking on the phone ran off the road and killed a mother and baby.

#761665 - 02/24/12 12:14 PM Re: Let's be careful out there... [Re: Secret Buzzard]
Glenn Reed Offline
Der Spammer Hammer

Loc: Towson MD
Originally Posted By: Secret Buzzard
I'm not going to say it's the perfect solution or answer, but what other one can you come up with? You can pass a hundred laws against cell phone use and texting but people will not obey them if there's no (or a slim) chance of them getting caught. They don't think it's any worse of an offense than speeding. Everybody does it, only a small minority get pulled over. It would depend on the range of the jammer. Seems to me that would increase out of doors due to line of sight being longer. They're obviously not paying attention now so how much worse can it be? Probably work best in rush hour, bumper-to-bumper as opposed to open traffic on an expressway, but still. And if I can annoy just a few of them... Just a thought. I don't have one, but I keep thinking about it (jammer, not thought!)

I wasn't saying I had a better solution, I was asking if the solution you proposed actually had the results you were looking for. I don't believe it actually works out that way.

We're all frustrated with the situation, and human nature is to want to do something rather than nothing. I just don't see this having the intended effect, but actually making the situation worse.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2