BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#760545 - 02/19/12 12:30 AM Do you own the air space above your property?
pbharvey Offline

Loc: Highland, MD
Some guys shot down a private drone, essentially a little RC spy helicopter, that flew over their property. Now I'm not advocating shooting down aircraft but it made me think, do you have the right to keep someone out of your air space?

The drone folks say what they were doing was legal. That sounds a little creepy to me. Can I fly a little helicopter over my neighbor's back yard and see what's going on?

Shooting it down seems a little creepy too but less so.

Article

#760547 - 02/19/12 01:48 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
Mike Offline

Administrator

Loc: Chicago area, IL, USA
Interesting question. Air rights are not unlimited in the USA, allowing for reasonable air navigation over one's property. However, as opposed to someone overlying the land in his Cessna, this was a little RC aircraft, with, perhaps, the object of interfering with the legal use of the owner's property. If someone had a low-altitude "drone" buzzing over my head with the purpose of harassing me on my property, it might suffer an operational failure resulting in a total loss of the airframe.

However, on a strictly legal note, it's questionable whether destruction of another's property is within the legal rights of a landowner. But, how do you distinguish this sort of thing from a pigeon?

#760550 - 02/19/12 04:53 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
steve404 Offline

Loc: Monterey, CA.

The local airport authority offered to install attic insulation and insulated windows in some houses near my house. Part of the agreement was to give them the space above the property.
I now live a bit further from the airport but I have a neighbor that sort of buzzes my property in his helicopter when he is down here for weekends. I don't dare even point a laser pointer at it.

#760556 - 02/19/12 07:47 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
Gregori Offline
Classifieds Mod

Loc: Holden, MA (Central MA)
I think you own up to about 500 ft or so, in most places.

It seems apparent from your link that the activists were asked not to fly, and did so anyway - with the specific intent to harass the landowners.

While I don't agree with the position of either party in that particular dispute, I will say that the activists pretty much asked for it, and got what they deserved.
TEL: (508) 797~2468 -- www.SoldSquad.com

#760557 - 02/19/12 07:57 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline

Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
PLEASE GIVE BLOOD

#760562 - 02/19/12 08:37 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
Glenn Reed Offline
Administrator

Loc: Towson MD
Originally Posted By: pbharvey
Some guys shot down a private drone, essentially a little RC spy helicopter, that flew over their property. Now I'm not advocating shooting down aircraft but it made me think, do you have the right to keep someone out of your air space?

The drone folks say what they were doing was legal. That sounds a little creepy to me. Can I fly a little helicopter over my neighbor's back yard and see what's going on?

Shooting it down seems a little creepy too but less so.

Article

Interesting topic.

In reading the article that Brian linked, when the helo was shot down, it was not over the property, it was over a highway, which it landed on after being hit by gunfire coming from the property.

The article Mitch linked to says that originally a property owner owned the airspace up to anywhere from 500 to 1000 feet above their property. This was then modified as such "The court laid down a new rule: you've got air rights only insofar as they're essential to the use and enjoyment of your land."

From a legal standpoint, it would have been helpful if the property owners had allowed the helo over the property and then sued the helo owner to keep them from using any of the video therefrom. I am not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV, but it seems to me that if the activity they were engaged in is legal (a pigeon shoot) then having an RC helicopter flying over would keep them from the "use and enjoyment of their land" and they would have a case that it was therefore illegal for the copter to be there.

Not a situation where you get to dispense your own justice though, and in this case firing shots in the vicinity of a highway does not seem responsible.

From a PR standpoint though, it seems the property owners were trying to avoid publicity because there are folks who do not approve the pigeon shoot. I don't know enough about this to have a position, but that's my take.

#760567 - 02/19/12 09:08 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
Ohio48 Offline

Loc: East of the Burning River
Time to break out my old super soaker!!!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have".
Gerald Ford

#760568 - 02/19/12 09:11 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
upflying Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
Cops will need a search warrant to fly over your backyard with a drone. Civilians, no.

2014 HD FXDC
2001 HD FLHPi (former work bike)
2009 HD FLHPi 103" (former work bike)
1972 Honda CT-90 garage queen

Logical politics is the Holy Grail of oxymorons.

#760569 - 02/19/12 09:18 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
Danny caddyshack Noonan Online

Loc: El Dorado Hills, CA
I see a business opportunity, legitimate for once, for the Iranian military.

At least, until someone can invent a charged particle beam that takes the 1.21 gigawatt output of a flux capacitor.

God bless America!
Rule of rocketry #1: Pointy end up...stupid.
Danny, be the ball.
'12 R1200RT Midnight Blue.
99 R1100RT, KLR650 sold
TR6 (sold, wife can now park in the garage)

#760574 - 02/19/12 09:40 AM Re: Do you own the air space above your property? [Re: pbharvey]
barryd Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
This is interesting, yet another case where technology has overtaken law and social norms.

I've heard many anecdotal stories of pilots getting in trouble for spending too much time overflying sun bathing women and such, or flying too low to get a better look.

I don't know what the rules say, but if there are such restrictions it would seem to apply to these remotely piloted aircraft too.

There are certainly minimum altitude requirements for aircraft, but if these things are considered models, for example, then altitude restrictions probably don't apply.

OTH, there are laws about taking potshots at aircraft too.

Interesting can of worms.

Edited by barryd (02/19/12 09:41 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >