BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 5 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#760644 - 02/19/12 07:14 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: KDeline]
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart

Loc: Sykesville, MD
I personally think that any extremism or fanaticism, be it religious or political, is a result of indoctrination and shows a mind that partially gave up it's independent thinking capability. Nothing is pure black or white. Everything is some shade of gray. Some like it lighter, some darker.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter

#760645 - 02/19/12 07:21 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: KDeline]
MT Wallet Offline

Loc: North 'Freezin', Dakota
I've lived in my current location for 5 years and have not gotten any religious zealots at my door. I do get H.S kids selling eveything under the sun for fund raising. The previous 50 years only netted two visits from Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses. You guys must not be "living right" (meaning: lucky) I guess that tattoo saying "I'm the antichrist" on my forehead is working. smile. Religious people don't bother me much..or for that matter anyone else.
All kidding aside, I am a little uncomfortable with public displays of religion by people as well as excessive affection by others. There's a time and a place for everything. That said, if Tebow wants to do it, it is no different that an end zone display after a touchdown. So what?

Edited by MT Wallet (02/19/12 07:22 PM)

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.-unattributed.

#760651 - 02/19/12 07:57 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
texasaggie97 Offline

Loc: Humble, TX
Religion is a hard subject to discuss in a place like this because it is hard to really hard to communicate truth without passion getting in the way. I spent 3 years in seminary to learn things that the average person just has no clue. There are factual truths in the Bible that no scholar can disprove nor explain. There has to be a creator some where. No one just came to be. No ones past relative was single cell organism. The question is who is right and we all need to know that anything man made is screwed up.

Working in a hospital doing ministry I noticed that most people who had no faith were really worried about death and wanted to really rethink the no God thing. The people who had a genuine faith were more at peace with life ending. I guess for some of us here we will wait until the end days and see if we all still feel the same until then all I can say is I love and believe in Jesus.
I am not ashamed to say it and it my constitutional right to do so and if it offends people then they live in the wrong country. If they want to say who they believe then do so because people of all religions died so you can. So say your peace and if you do not agree them just read try to learn from different people and if you desire to write a response just know that we are trying to solve a conversation that has been fought for hundreds of years.

I enjoy all of your posts and can tell there are some very passionate people on this site but we just have to agree to disagree. Some day we will know the truth!!!

Luke 2:52

#760652 - 02/19/12 08:28 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
Personally, I think we've turned to talking about religion because of the ban on politics! dopeslap

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

#760665 - 02/19/12 11:23 PM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Paul Mihalka]
beemerman2k Offline

Loc: Ellington, CT
Originally Posted By: Paul Mihalka
I personally think that any extremism or fanaticism, be it religious or political, is a result of indoctrination and shows a mind that partially gave up it's independent thinking capability. Nothing is pure black or white. Everything is some shade of gray. Some like it lighter, some darker.

Partially? I'd say this very phenomenon is where referring to people as "sheep" ultimately derives from. No, I'd say they have completely abandoned independent and critical thinking capability. That's why they see things as being so black and white!

#760672 - 02/20/12 12:57 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: Paul Mihalka]
DaveTheAffable Offline

Loc: Southern Calif
Originally Posted By: Paul Mihalka
Nothing is pure black or white. Everything is some shade of gray. Some like it lighter, some darker.
Of course. Gotta have wiggle room. Nothing is "right" or "wrong", just "shades of gray".

When a thief breaks into your home and steals what you earned, it's not wrong. He needed it. He has a different opinion than yours on the matter of property rights and ownership. His shade of what defines a thief is lighter. Your is darker.

wave

"No faster than my guardian Angel can fly...."

#760673 - 02/20/12 01:03 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: moshe_levy]
DaveTheAffable Offline

Loc: Southern Calif
Originally Posted By: moshe_levy
Personally, I think we've turned to talking about religion because of the ban on politics! dopeslap

-MKL
I strongly disagree!

I think it's winter, and no one has the guts to start an oil thread.

rofl

"No faster than my guardian Angel can fly...."

#760676 - 02/20/12 01:58 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: DaveTheAffable]
taters Offline

Loc: mays landing , new jersey
It always amazes me how some people will hear or read a quote and then subscribe to it totally. Without giving it any thought. Accepting it because it just sounds right. I'll give you all two examples. There are many more but two will make the point

1. More people have died because of religion than any other institution.
What a crock of s#***. More people have died from the adherents of atheism
E. g stalin= about 100,000,000 murdered
Mao =. About 30,000,000 murdered
Hitler= about 40,000,000. Murdered
Pol pot. About. 3,000,000 murdered

2. Better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to prison
What a crock of s*##*. Would you really like to see 100 Ted bundys go free than me to spend life in prison? Don't think so.

We gotta think these sayings through and not just accept them

#760684 - 02/20/12 05:59 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: taters]
plext Offline

Loc: Boro, NSW, Australia
Totting up known figures (the crusades are hard to get a handle on) from various places around the web, the best I can come up with is a figure of roughly 784,000,000 deaths attributable to conflict based upon religion.

Do you actually have one hundred Ted Bundys to hand? Or are they all straw men?

These kinds of discussions > debates > arguments never end well as all sides tend to see themselves as correct and not one point of view is ever changed as a result.

People believe what they will believe, it's rare that anything changes that.

#760687 - 02/20/12 06:21 AM Re: Scorned for positive image...? [Re: taters]
moshe_levy Offline

Loc: NJ - God Help Me
Originally Posted By: taters
It always amazes me how some people will hear or read a quote and then subscribe to it totally. Without giving it any thought. Accepting it because it just sounds right. I'll give you all two examples. There are many more but two will make the point

1. More people have died because of religion than any other institution.
What a crock of s#***. More people have died from the adherents of atheism
E. g stalin= about 100,000,000 murdered
Mao =. About 30,000,000 murdered
Hitler= about 40,000,000. Murdered
Pol pot. About. 3,000,000 murdered

2. Better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to prison
What a crock of s*##*. Would you really like to see 100 Ted bundys go free than me to spend life in prison? Don't think so.

We gotta think these sayings through and not just accept them

OK, so think it through then. Paul answered your first already: "... personally think that any extremism or fanaticism, be it religious or political, is a result of indoctrination and shows a mind that partially gave up it's independent thinking capability." Substitute "the state" or "dear leader" or "Fuhrer" for "God" and you have statism. No different from religion in that either way, independent men and their thoughts are asked to be sacrificed for some other entity.

For the second saying, that's an ideal our justice system supposedly aspires to. It is a noble one, and I doubt you will be able to come up with a rational or factual argument as to why it is not a noble goal. Nobody says it's reality - it's a goal to show the extent to which the innocent are supposedly considered innocent until proven guilty.

-MKL
2009 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
BMW-MOA, AMA, IBA

Page 5 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 32 >